What's with E36 M3 asking prices?

Old October 5th 04, 03:55 AM
David Haqeman

"Phil" > wrote in message news:<3Rj8d.305453$mD.93011@attbi_s02>...
> "...6 digits of mileage on an M3 should leave little doubt:.."
>
> "...paranoia strikes deep...".
>
> Unfortunately, yes it does. I may just give my M3 to my daughter as a
> graduation gift, and then get a used M5. BMWs can go high miles without
> much trouble.

But I know how the car was driven and I can produce service records to
show that all scheduled service was completed.

Secondly, anybody that knows how strict Maryland State inspection is
should be somewhat relaxed.

Shouldn't they?

Finally, $17,500 for my M3 is a STEAL!

Yet....it just sits out there....like an orphan.

David H.
Old October 5th 04, 04:39 AM
Nate Nagel

David Haqeman wrote:

> I currently own an E36 M3...a '99 5 speed, 2 dr coupe in Cosmos Black
> with black interior.
>
> Because I just purchased an M5...a '00 jet black with caramel/black
> interior, I decided to sell the M3.
>
> I too live in an area that has a lot of M3s around town (Washington
> DC/Montgomery County Maryland) and my original asking price of $20,000
> was apparently too high since I got no serious inquiries.
>
> I now have it at $17,500 OBO...still nothing.
>
> The car has been religiously serviced.....and I'm a schmuck that pays
> retail...having had the Service 2 completed a 2nd time at a BMW
> dealership.
>
> The car does have 106,000 miles on it, but it looks and runs
> perfectly. I have never abused or red-lined it.
>
> I see low mileage e36 M3s in the Washington Post for $20K, and
> convertibles for $26K....you'd think $17,500 for mine would be a steal
> for somebody out there.
>
> It's a mystery to me why I haven't gotten a serious party interested
> in it as of yet.
>
> David H.

'cause I'm broke, that's why (frownie,) and my beater 944 is still
running quite well (smilie.)

You've never redlined it? drop me an email and I'll help you break it
in properly <G>

nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 5th 04, 06:39 AM
mjc

Your area must be a yuppie one.....A yuppie area is one where ignorant,
short sited people LEASE brand new vehicles. They can't afford the cash to
buy because they are too busy making payments ON EVERYTHING just to "look
successful"....the overpriced house, the two leased cars, the $5,000 TV
"entertainment" system, the...on and on and on.....
You know the people...they may make $100K+ a year but they are STILL ONLY 3
MONTHS FROM BANKRUPTCY !!!
Those people scare me; they will be the ones that "retire" with only their
pittance of social security income and complain about it all the time.
SO... do what it says elsewhere; GIVE IT to a direct family member or.....a
charity for the write-off !

Old October 5th 04, 07:05 PM
LeonErin1

This thread has my interest as I cannot get anyone to even call to buy my 95
M3. The car has an automatic transmission. Which is a big no-no, but it is in
immaculate condition, 98K miles and excellent paperwork and service record.
Noone calls with the car listed at $8800.

I am moving to Puerto Rico for work for a couple years and thought I might sell
the car and look for an E46 on my return. In the event I don't get $8800 it
looks like the car goes in the garage for 2 years. I would think that if there
are people asking "way too much" for E36's someone might think mine is priced
to sell and consider an automatic tranny as the New Jersey, Philly traffic here
does provide the use of automatic transmission for morning aand afternoon
commute.

lp
Old October 6th 04, 07:51 PM
Matt O'Toole

mjc wrote:

> Your area must be a yuppie one.....A yuppie area is one where
> ignorant, short sited people LEASE brand new vehicles. They can't
> afford the cash to buy because they are too busy making payments ON
> EVERYTHING just to "look successful"....the overpriced house, the
> two leased cars, the $5,000 TV "entertainment" system, the...on and
> on and on.....
> You know the people...they may make $100K+ a year but they are STILL
> ONLY 3 MONTHS FROM BANKRUPTCY !!!

In fact this lifestyle has been the norm for the last decade, funded largely by
run-away real estate appreciation. People talk about the dotcom boom, but the
recent real estate boom has been much more significant, IMO. As people got
themselves overextended, their home appreciation saved their butts. But now the
boom has slowed, the party's probably over. I'm sure we'll see more and more
extravagant toys like M3s being dumped on the market.

> Those people scare me; they will be the ones that "retire" with only
> their pittance of social security income and complain about it all
> the time.

If they don't wise up, anyway. They're not going to make another quarter
million dollars on their half million dollar home in the next three years, like
they have in the past.

Matt O.