How bad is it, in the grand scheme of things, to install a directionaltire the wrong way?

Old May 14th 13, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

Default How bad is it, in the grand scheme of things, to install adirectional tire the wrong way?

[humongous text snipped]
> >> unbelievable - you're simply not from this planet! "50 miles" is what's
> >> recommended. reality is, you can go thousands of miles on the things.
> >> you wouldn't /want/ to, but that's an entirely different matter that you
> >> don't seem to be able to figure out.

> > depends on the road conditions. Around here donut at the stratospheric
> > pressure might not last those 50 miles.

> under normal road conditions, those things hold up pretty well.

weeeeeell, define "normal"
I'm seeing swiss cheese pavement more often than I want to

and when I was doing an extensive stroll across a sea of these
I got a _sidewall_ damage rather than the part that contacts the
pavement.
Obviously the sidewalls are way thinner than the part that meets
the road, on the roadway tires anyway. And there is a whole lot more
sidewall of the donut -> meaning during rural softroading there's more
exposure
to damage.

> as to speed, they're rated for 50 not because the tire can't take it,
> but because the handling of the vehicle is compromised. *on that basis,
> and that basis alone, they're designed to get you to a place where you
> can get the original fixed, not take you trans-continent. * [although,
> some hoods around here, you see vehicles with donuts as permanent fixtures.]

yeah, saw some like they've been on for quite a while.
makes me wonder how easy it would be to get a replacement when they
finally wear them out
that AND the looks of the front counter guy at the tire shop when he
is told the size needed :-))))
lots of eye roll
Old May 15th 13, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/13/2013 07:55 PM, Nate Nagel bleated:

> No, other people have experience and opinions. I talk to them and make
> my decisions based on their experiences.

but you don't. you latch on to pointless drivel, then raise that by
it's own power into your own complex function of irrelevance. an utter
waste of electrons.

> Do you really test drive multiple brands of tires before choosing your
> next set? You've got way too much time on your hands, if so.

no nate, i do my homework so i can speak from experience. alien concept
for you, but that's your problem, not mine.

> You've got a 968 like I've got an F40.

no, but i can talk about them because but i have a friend with a 986.
and i have another friend with three. so stick that up your ass, retard.

> Fortunately, since your direct reports are... um... nobody, nobody
> has to deal with your ****ty attitude.

um, actually retard, when you employ people, you /can/ have a ****ty
attitude. and lickspittle brown-nosers like you get to suck it up.

> Most reasonable people appreciate a polite heads up, and sadly, most
> people in positions of power like a little ass-kissing.

i don't - i means you're weak.

> Most people
> know this, but apparently your social skills are on a par with your
> automotive knowledge.

you're an anosognosic retard nate - /your/ automotive knowledge /is/ on
a par with your social skills - that's the entire problem.

--
fact check required
Old May 15th 13, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/14/2013 07:50 AM, AD wrote:
> [humongous text snipped]

>>> depends on the road conditions. Around here donut at the stratospheric
>>> pressure might not last those 50 miles.

>> under normal road conditions, those things hold up pretty well.
>>

> weeeeeell, define "normal"
> I'm seeing swiss cheese pavement more often than I want to
>
> and when I was doing an extensive stroll across a sea of these
> I got a _sidewall_ damage rather than the part that contacts the
> pavement.

they're supposed to be inflated to a much higher pressure than a
standard tire. 50-60lbs is not untypical. of course, how many people
bother to check the pressure on the spare? but that's the way they're
supposed to work.

> Obviously the sidewalls are way thinner than the part that meets
> the road, on the roadway tires anyway. And there is a whole lot more
> sidewall of the donut -> meaning during rural softroading there's more
> exposure
> to damage.
>
>> as to speed, they're rated for 50 not because the tire can't take it,
>> but because the handling of the vehicle is compromised. �on that basis,
>> and that basis alone, they're designed to get you to a place where you
>> can get the original fixed, not take you trans-continent. � [although,
>> some hoods around here, you see vehicles with donuts as permanent fixtures.]
>>

> yeah, saw some like they've been on for quite a while.
> makes me wonder how easy it would be to get a replacement when they
> finally wear them out

it's as easy as using a tire iron to open some other car's trunk!

--
fact check required
Old May 15th 13, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/13/2013 08:41 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 05/13/2013 11:22 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> no spikes retard - you've clearly never seen a tire changer.

>> balls. Most tire machines use wheel clamps that clamp the inside of the
>> barrel of the wheel with metal pads with a sharp textured finish that
>> leaves little dimples in the metal of the wheel - even steel ones. Most
>> tire machine manufacturers do offer soft pads for these clamps, but
>> almost nobody uses them.

>>> blathering retarded nonsense about something that doesn't exist.

>> Who's never seen a tire machine, again?
>>
>> The *only* time I've ever seen a set of wheels that had had one or more
>> replacement tires put on them that *didn't* have those marks on the
>> barrels from the wheel clamps were on a car that had a full service
>> history from the dealership where it was sold (yes, the owner had
>> apparently gone to the dealership for replacement tires.) It was a
>> German manufacturer that you love to run down, and their service and
>> parts prices are eye-wateringly expensive, but at least they apparently
>> insist that their dealerships use the soft pads on their tire machines
>> (or they use tire machines with a different clamping mechanism for the
>> usual.)

> Here you go... pretty typical looking tire changer IME
>
> http://www.derekweaver.com/learn/tire-changer/
>
> scroll down to "clamping the wheel on the turntable"
>
> "Wheel Clamps Positioned for Inside Clamping
>
> Plastic protectors are used on the clamping jaws to protect the wheel’s
> finish."
>
> If only that were universally true...! More often than not, they
> weren't ever purchased by the shop (as they're often optional,) or fell
> off or wore out a long time ago, or the tech doesn't use them because,
> well, not using them probably does clamp the wheel more securely.
>
> "Spikes" may have been a hyperbole, but they do have a very heavy
> diamond-knurled finish, or I've also seen wheels that were obviously
> inside-clamped with a machine that had jaws that left three or four
> little round, deep indentations in the rim.

q. why are you posting links to some drivel off the net that doesn't
prove your point in the first place?

a. because you have no experience, you're clearly not paying any
attention when you buy tires and have them fitted, and are, as always,
completely clueless.

one of my friends /has/ a [hunter] tire changer. i've used it. it has
NO spikes.

another friend worked in tire shops for five years while putting himself
through med school. he's never seen or even heard of tire changer spikes.

conclusion: you're a blathering anosognosic retard getting your panties
in a knot about something that doesn't exist.

--
fact check required
Old May 15th 13, 09:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AD[_2_]

On May 15, 3:25*am, jim beam > wrote:
> On 05/14/2013 07:50 AM, AD wrote:
>

> > [humongous text snipped]

> >> under normal road conditions, those things hold up pretty well.

> > weeeeeell, define "normal"
> > I'm seeing swiss cheese pavement more often than I want to

> > and when I was doing an extensive stroll across a sea of these
> > I got a _sidewall_ damage rather than the part that contacts the
> > pavement.

> they're supposed to be inflated to a much higher pressure than a
> standard tire. *50-60lbs is not untypical. *of course, how many people
> bother to check the pressure on the spare? *but that's the way they're
> supposed to work.

you are somehow implying that higher dohnut pressures are meant to
compensate for the sidewall weakness?
Old May 16th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 05/15/2013 11:01 AM, gpsman wrote:
> On May 15, 4:01 am, AD > wrote:

>>> they're supposed to be inflated to a much higher pressure than a
>>> standard tire. 50-60lbs is not untypical. of course, how many people
>>> bother to check the pressure on the spare? but that's the way they're
>>> supposed to work.

>> you are somehow implying that higher dohnut pressures are meant to
>> compensate for the sidewall weakness?

> You haven't established "sidewall weakness"...
>
> Did you mean to purport the road damaged your sidewall, or that tires
> in general are immune from sidewall damage... or the sidewalls of
> donuts are inferior to regular tires...?
> -----
>
> - gpsman

The last is true. Most regular service tire sidewalls are at least
2-ply; the last donut I looked at (yesterday) had 1-ply sidewalls.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 16th 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/15/2013 07:28 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 05/15/2013 11:01 AM, gpsman wrote:

>>> you are somehow implying that higher dohnut pressures are meant to
>>> compensate for the sidewall weakness?

>> You haven't established "sidewall weakness"...
>>
>> Did you mean to purport the road damaged your sidewall, or that tires
>> in general are immune from sidewall damage... or the sidewalls of
>> donuts are inferior to regular tires...?
>> -----
>>
>> - gpsman
>>

> The last is true. Most regular service tire sidewalls are at least
> 2-ply; the last donut I looked at (yesterday) had 1-ply sidewalls.

since side walls are bias ply [for a very specific reason about which
you're almost certainly completely clueless], how the **** are you going
to have only one of them, retard???

--
fact check required
Old May 16th 13, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 05/15/2013 11:15 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 05/15/2013 07:28 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> You haven't established "sidewall weakness"...
>>>
>>> Did you mean to purport the road damaged your sidewall, or that tires
>>> in general are immune from sidewall damage... or the sidewalls of
>>> donuts are inferior to regular tires...?
>>> -----
>>>
>>> - gpsman
>>>

>> The last is true. Most regular service tire sidewalls are at least
>> 2-ply; the last donut I looked at (yesterday) had 1-ply sidewalls.
>>

> since side walls are bias ply [for a very specific reason about which
> you're almost certainly completely clueless], how the **** are you going
> to have only one of them, retard???

I'm just reading the sidewall. I guess the donut must be radial ply? I
didn't put that information on there, the tire manufacturer (I think
Continenental?) did.

Old May 16th 13, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/15/2013 08:23 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 05/15/2013 11:15 PM, jim beam wrote:

>>> The last is true. Most regular service tire sidewalls are at least
>>> 2-ply; the last donut I looked at (yesterday) had 1-ply sidewalls.
>>>

>> since side walls are bias ply [for a very specific reason about which
>> you're almost certainly completely clueless], how the **** are you going
>> to have only one of them, retard???
>>

> I'm just reading the sidewall. I guess the donut must be radial ply? I
> didn't put that information on there, the tire manufacturer (I think
> Continenental?) did.

go check your facts retard. like i said, there's a very specific reason
for bias ply sidewalls. go figure out what that is.

--
fact check required
Old May 16th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gpsman

On May 15, 10:28*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 05/15/2013 11:01 AM, gpsman wrote:

> >> you are somehow implying that higher dohnut pressures are meant to
> >> compensate for the sidewall weakness?

> > You haven't established "sidewall weakness"...

> > Did you mean to purport the road damaged your sidewall, or that tires
> > in general are immune from sidewall damage... or the sidewalls of
> > donuts are inferior to regular tires...?

> The last is true. *Most regular service tire sidewalls are at least
> 2-ply; the last donut I looked at (yesterday) had 1-ply sidewalls.

The last one I looked at (Goodyear, yesterday) reads "3 PLIES", but
doesn't differentiate between sidewall and tread.

Still, I don't believe any tire sidewalls can be damaged by "normal"
use.
-----

- gpsman