DTC Stored vs. Pending?

Old December 7th 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default DTC Stored vs. Pending?

Hi,

I'm an automotive noob, and I'm trying to figure out of my mechanic is
telling me a load of crap or there is something really wrong with my
car.

First, they told me my transmission has some problems and the TCM
(Transmission Control Module) is bad, and I have a TCC Circuit
Malfuction. I'm driving a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 2001 if it
matters.

They are claiming the TCM is going to cost me $800 dollars to replace,
I'm a bit sceptical about this.

Anyway, I took my car to Advance Auto to get an unbiased opinion on my
vehicle. They plugged in a unit into my dashboard and it came back
with this.

*******************
DTC Stored
P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfuction

DTC Pending
P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction
*******************

My main question here is what is the difference between "Stored" and
"Pending" when it comes to DTC from an OBDII monitor.

Can someone "read" these codes for me, would you believe there to be
one or two things wrong with my car? (My uneducated hunch is that the
pending (P0700) code is waiting for (P0740) to be fixed, then they will
both be removed. Is this right?

Thanks,
--Michael

Old December 7th 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

You need a full scan by a qualified trans tech using a bi directional trans
capable scanner that can command and confirm trans controls thru the tcm. Is
the trans doing any thing wrong?
oups.com...

Old December 7th 05, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

No, the van runs great, no problems shifting whatsoever, which is why
I'm very hesitant to drop $800 bucks to fix something that's not
affecting me get from one place to another.

Old December 7th 05, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article
.com>,
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm an automotive noob, and I'm trying to figure out of my mechanic is
> telling me a load of crap or there is something really wrong with my
> car.
>
> First, they told me my transmission has some problems and the TCM
> (Transmission Control Module) is bad, and I have a TCC Circuit
> Malfuction. I'm driving a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 2001 if it
> matters.
>
> They are claiming the TCM is going to cost me $800 dollars to replace,
> I'm a bit sceptical about this.
>
> Anyway, I took my car to Advance Auto to get an unbiased opinion on my
> vehicle. They plugged in a unit into my dashboard and it came back
> with this.
>
> *******************
> DTC Stored
> P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction
> P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfuction
>
> DTC Pending
> P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction
> *******************
>
> My main question here is what is the difference between "Stored" and
> "Pending" when it comes to DTC from an OBDII monitor.

A monitored system usually has to fail more than one monitor
event in a drive cycle before a code is stored, a pending code is
a failed monitor just like a stored code but it hasn't happened
enough times to become a stored code.

> Can someone "read" these codes for me, would you believe there to be
> one or two things wrong with my car? (My uneducated hunch is that the
> pending (P0700) code is waiting for (P0740) to be fixed, then they will
> both be removed. Is this right?

No, not right.
The P0700 is a fault in the TCM, think of it as the TCMs version
of the blue screen of death. It can be as simple as a missing
battery feed, 12 volt switched feed or missing ground, or it can
be a major failure of the TCM.
The trouble shooting sequence basically tells to verify power and
grounds and if good, replace the TCM.
There is nothing in the code P0740 trouble shooting procedure
that mentions that a P0700 should be ignored until the P0740 is
fixed. The P0740 basically means that the TCC solenoid has gone
maximum duty cycle and the TCM hasn't seen the resultant
reduction of speed at the transaxle output speed sensor when
compared to the input speed sensor.

If anything, the P0740 may be fixed once the P0700 is fixed.
Old December 7th 05, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:39:26 GMT aarcuda69062 > wrote:

> The P0700 is a fault in the TCM, think of it as the TCMs version
> of the blue screen of death.

So what you're saying is that the software is built by m$.
If so, I'd be selling it RIGHT NOW.

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old December 8th 05, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks aarcuda,

You've provided a lot of clarification, and basically confirmed what
the shop I took my car into said.

So, I'm a running a major risk by not getting it fixed?, even though it
doesn't seem to be making any noticible difference in my driving? I am
getting the P0740 issue fixed (under warranty)

Old December 8th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
mst > wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:39:26 GMT aarcuda69062 > wrote:
>
> > The P0700 is a fault in the TCM, think of it as the TCMs version
> > of the blue screen of death.

> So what you're saying is that the software is built by m$.

Nope, I didn't say that. Though, I'd heard some rumblings about

> If so, I'd be selling it RIGHT NOW.

I'll give ya 20 bucks for it.