Stuck ignition key

Old October 4th 05, 08:25 PM
Alf Loizeaux

Default Stuck ignition key

This morning I tried to start my '92 Miata and I could not turn the
ignition key. After I jiggled the steering wheel a bit, the key finally
turned and I started the car. I drove to the bank and parked it. When I
came back to start it, I had the same situation again. The wheel had to be
jiggled even more this time. Another trip to the store; the same thing
again.
The car is now in my garage and the key turns but I hear a loud clunck when
I turn it.
What should I do?
Old October 4th 05, 09:00 PM
XS11E

Alf Loizeaux > wrote in:

> This morning I tried to start my '92 Miata and I could not turn the
> ignition key. After I jiggled the steering wheel a bit, the key finally
> turned and I started the car. I drove to the bank and parked it. When
> I came back to start it, I had the same situation again. The wheel had
> to be jiggled even more this time. Another trip to the store; the same
> thing again.
> The car is now in my garage and the key turns but I hear a loud clunck
> when I turn it.

You may have to get a new ignition switch and/or lock. If you've been using
the typical key chain with 164.8 pounds of keys, gadgets, rabbits feet, can
openers, flashlights, etc. you have probably damaged the lock.

This is typical of Ford products since the 1970s, the fix is:

A. Get a new lock
B. Remove everything from your key ring that isn't essential! The lock will
survive with the ignition key, trunk key and house key and probably that's
about all.

If you don't have lots of stuff on your key chain....... never mind.....

Old October 5th 05, 07:03 PM
Iva

Alf Loizeaux wrote:
> This morning I tried to start my '92 Miata and I could not turn the
> ignition key. After I jiggled the steering wheel a bit, the key finally
> turned and I started the car. I drove to the bank and parked it. When I
> came back to start it, I had the same situation again. The wheel had to

be
> jiggled even more this time. Another trip to the store; the same thing
> again.
> The car is now in my garage and the key turns but I hear a loud clunck

when
> I turn it.
> What should I do?

The steering wheel has a locking mechanism in it and it sounds like yours is
stuck. I did a quick look round the garage in miata.net but didn't see
anything exactly like this. You might want to spend some time over there
checking.

I doubt this has anything to do with the amount of weight on your key chain
but it's a *very* good idea to not have weight there as it will affect the
ignition switch eventually.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old October 6th 05, 03:42 AM
BRUCE HASKIN

The key in my '91 gets that way from time to time. (about 4 times now I
think.) All I did was use some "LOK-EZ" on it. (Auto parts store carry
it) It comes in a small blue & yellow can. Squirt it into the key slot.
Be sure to have a rag or something to catch the extra as it will flow
out of the key slot. The little spring loaded blades inside the lock
just get stickey and they need some lube. Run the key in and out slowly
to let the lube work in to the blades and springs. (Keep the rag handy
because the lube will be on the key for a while :-).

Bruce RED '91