91 GC 3.3L Belt Tensioner

Old May 31st 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dprkk

Default 91 GC 3.3L Belt Tensioner

Has anyone done this replacement? It looks impossible to get to the
15mm nut that holds the tensioner stud. Any advice?
Old June 1st 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

I did it along with a water pump on a 1990 3.3L which is basically the same
van. You need to remove the passenger front wheel and the inner plastic
fender splash guard if you have not done so already. Everything was
accessible from there. Good luck!

Bob

Old June 4th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Kose

On May 31, 10:02*pm, "Bob Shuman" > wrote:
> I did it along with a water pump on a 1990 3.3L which is basically the same
> van. *You need to remove the passenger front wheel and the inner plastic
> fender splash guard if you have not done so already. *Everything was
> accessible from there. *Good luck!
>
> * Bob
>
> "dprkk" > wrote in message

> > Has anyone done this replacement? It looks impossible to get to the
> > 15mm nut that holds the tensioner stud. Any advice?- Hide quoted text -

Bob,

Thanks for your response. I did everything you suggested plus moving
the alternator back against the firewall. I can now see the stud nut.
I still need to find a long 15mm box wrench. I haven't got it nailed
yet, but I'm getting closer.

Ken
Old June 9th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Kose

On Jun 3, 7:55*pm, Ken Kose > wrote:
> On May 31, 10:02*pm, "Bob Shuman" > wrote:
>

> > I did it along with a water pump on a 1990 3.3L which is basically the same
> > van. *You need to remove the passenger front wheel and the inner plastic
> > fender splash guard if you have not done so already. *Everything was
> > accessible from there. *Good luck!

> > * Bob

> > "dprkk" > wrote in message

> > > Has anyone done this replacement? It looks impossible to get to the
> > > 15mm nut that holds the tensioner stud. Any advice?- Hide quoted text -

> Bob,
>
> Thanks for your response. I did everything you suggested plus moving
> the alternator back against the firewall. I can now see the stud nut.
> I still need to find a long 15mm box wrench. I haven't got it nailed
> yet, but I'm getting closer.
>
> Ken- Hide quoted text -

Well, here's the score. Caravan 1; Me 0. I tried getting at this nut
from top and bottom with no success whatsoever. I can get a box wrench
on from the top, but there is no room to move it. If I had a 15" long
wrench, I could get it from the bottom. I know when I'm beat though.
Car won this one.

Ken
Old June 9th 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

As a thought, based on your description, If you need to extend your standard
length wrench, then you may be able to use a set of vice grips to clamp on
a combination wrench box end and use the open end to grab the 15mm bolt
head. Use care not to bust your knuckles if you choose to try this ...
buying the right tool would be much better.

Bob