Can stored springs lose lift?

Old May 5th 05, 05:05 PM

Default Can stored springs lose lift?

I'm "upgrading" my suspension from a Sentra SE springs to Sentra SE-R
springs - I've found a set that a gent has stored in his garage from
1997. I thought I had read somewhere that suspension springs can lose
their ability to lift if stored for a long period of time, and a search
of Google/Usenet doesn't come up with much either way. The springs
themselves look to be in good shape, not cracked or any visible damage.
He took off these springs to upgrade his suspension to Eibach springs
and aftermarket struts.

Is it safe to buy springs stored for such a long time?

Regards,
Neurowiz

Old May 5th 05, 05:56 PM

Unless the springs were stored in such a way that they were unduly
mechanically or thermally stressed, or were subject to corrosion, then there
should be no loss of
their properties.

Old May 5th 05, 06:51 PM
mjt

) scribbled:

> Is it safe to buy springs stored for such a long time?

.... if they're "stored" without stress to them
(as in just lying on a shelf) i imagine they'll
be just fine. i mean, normally, the spring are
installed on a vehicle and are under load.

--
<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Metallica - Orion) >>
There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn

Spring over vs Lift Springs Carl Saiyed Jeep 3 May 3rd 05 04:50 PM
leaf springs [email protected] Corvette 3 March 10th 05 10:42 PM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 16th 04 11:38 PM
Jeep TJ Rubicon Express Springs w/ winch? Derek Proctor Jeep 0 December 1st 04 11:48 PM