Overheating problem

Old August 22nd 04, 02:12 AM
lkitesplit

Default Overheating problem

I was hoping someone might have an answer for me. I have a 94 coupe with 66k
miles. It runs just fine on the open road, but gets pretty hot while
standing still or in traffic. The water pump was changed recently and the
radiator fluid is pretty clean. What do I do?

John

Old August 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
Tom in Missouri

Probably nothing. As many have said over and over, the C4s often get to
220-230 and is considered normal for city and traffic conditions.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:28 AM
Dad

Or bleed out the air if it's over what Tom said.

news

Old August 22nd 04, 04:36 AM
lkitesplit

What do you mean by bleed out the air?
It's running up around 240-250.

Old August 22nd 04, 04:44 AM
Dad

On a refill or a pump change you can trap air in the system. There are
bleeders in the block to allow the air out. I no longer have a C4 manual but
yours should tell you where they are.
--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old August 22nd 04, 12:57 PM

In addition to what youve been told by the others, look at these things
too :

1. Power wash the condensor/radiator .
2. Are all the sides, bottom and top sealed up well ?
3. Run no more than 25% coolant to water ratio (water is better than
coolant for removing heat). Use a bottle of Water Wetter by Redline.
4. Have you verified that your water temp guage is correct by actually
measuring the water temp with another means ?
5. Have you thoroughly cleaned the cooling system with a strong cleaner
? Did you open the block drains when draining ?

Old August 25th 04, 02:28 PM
lkitesplit

Photos were a great help, thank you. Now, do I bleed with the engine hot,
cold, running, or off?

Thanks again,
John

Old August 25th 04, 02:28 PM
lkitesplit

Overheating problem Chris D'Agnolo BMW 4 January 18th 05 09:41 PM
2004 Elantra Airbag Problem TImothy A. Roy Audi 4 October 8th 04 05:07 PM
2004 Elantra Airbag Problem TImothy A. Roy Alfa Romeo 0 October 6th 04 02:02 AM
Problem: 146 Ti holds back..!? Stephan Alfa Romeo 3 July 22nd 04 08:38 PM