2004 Honda Accord EX w/ nav audio problem - no audio

Old June 27th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff Papineau

Default 2004 Honda Accord EX w/ nav audio problem - no audio

I have an Accord ex w/nav 4cly and the audio has failed. I think it's
in the head unit; just wondering if anyone knows of a cronic problem
with these nav head units and the preamp section, or knows of the
repair proceedure.

The audio does not work for any source: nav, cd, radio, nothing. Yet,
all sources seem to work correctly; I have NO DISPLAY PROBLEMS, and cd
changer works, radio is working, tuning, etc. But no audio. Except,
when I push on the stereo power button, I hear a small pop that tells
me the power amp is coming on and working correctly. That means preamp
is out I guess... and I have tried the fader; it's not just one
channel out; the whole thing is gone.

It's out of warrenty and I have a feeling Honda won't cover it; so I'm
trying to route around them if possible; they might agree to fix but
the diagnosis costs more than the mods to fix up an MP3 player, etc..
just seems like such a ripoff, to tell me, yes your head needs to be
replaced, $135 diagnois; want a new radio?, $1000 please. And then if
Honda won't cover the work, only the parts, I'm hosed out of the
diagnostic fees, cause I won't pay for the replacement myself.

Any pointers or related experience, links appreciated.

Old June 27th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.makers.honda
ck

One of the rear spkrs could be shorted go in the trunk and dis connect the
spkrs. If audio comes back plug one spke in at a time to see which makes
oudio go out.
ups.com...

Old June 28th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff Papineau

On Jun 27, 2:52 am, "ck" > wrote:
> One of the rear spkrs could be shorted go in the trunk and dis connect the
> spkrs. Ifaudiocomes back plug one spke in at a time to see which makes
> oudio go out."Jeff Papineau" > wrote in message

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!

This was the solution; of course I took it to the dealer because I had
not yet seen your answer yesterday...
and they charged me almost $100 to tell me this..

Maybe we can help the next poor sucker that doesn't know the amp is
smart, sees a shorted woofer on the read deck and shuts down all
audio.

Wish I had thought of it myself but I could hear the amp come on.
Didn't consider the fact that it was shutting itself down after it
came on; never heard any kind of signal. Of course, unplug the
offending woofer and the whole system is fine.

Now I just need to find all replacement speakers for this thing; the
front speakers are pretty bad - noticed now that I'm listening to just
the fronts until I replace the backs.

Jeff-

Old June 29th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.audio.car,rec.autos.makers.honda
Gene S. Berkowitz

In article om>,
says...
> On Jun 27, 2:52 am, "ck" > wrote:
> > One of the rear spkrs could be shorted go in the trunk and dis connect the
> > spkrs. Ifaudiocomes back plug one spke in at a time to see which makes
> > oudio go out."Jeff Papineau" > wrote in message
> >

> YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!
>
> This was the solution; of course I took it to the dealer because I had
> not yet seen your answer yesterday...
> and they charged me almost $100 to tell me this..
>
> Maybe we can help the next poor sucker that doesn't know the amp is
> smart, sees a shorted woofer on the read deck and shuts down all
> audio.
>
> Wish I had thought of it myself but I could hear the amp come on.
> Didn't consider the fact that it was shutting itself down after it
> came on; never heard any kind of signal. Of course, unplug the
> offending woofer and the whole system is fine.
>
> Now I just need to find all replacement speakers for this thing; the
> front speakers are pretty bad - noticed now that I'm listening to just
> the fronts until I replace the backs.
>
> Jeff-

You can get the OEMs from Majestic Honda for $12.77 each:
Part #
1354368 SPEAKER ASSY. (6X9" SINGLE) (MATSU****A)

--Gene

aux audio input for 2006 accord SE yirg Honda 2 May 21st 07 05:39 AM
Honda audio security meb Honda 5 May 13th 06 02:42 AM
Audio Jack 2004 Wrangler Rick Ankrum Jeep 4 December 1st 05 11:45 AM
Honda Audio Help mac-shack Honda 1 March 1st 05 02:10 AM
Honda CRV Audio Dead - Need Help! mac-shack Honda 0 March 1st 05 02:07 AM