Sometimes Fate smiles

Old November 1st 04, 12:49 PM
Charles Fregeau

"Shaggie" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:37:25 -0600, "Charles Fregeau"
> > wrote:
>
>>"MUADIB®" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> The misspelling of lose, is an epidemic lately
>>> ..................before, it was merely a sporadic ailment.
>>>
>>> If it gets any worse it could become a extinction event.
>>>
>>> Just my opinion.
>>>

>>> Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
>>>
>>> MUADIB®
>>>
>>> http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html
>>>
>>> one small step for man,.....
>>> One giant leap for attorneys.

>>And I have hated the way the word key is used as a pseudo-verb. "This is
>>key" Pure BS. Key is a NOUN, and should have a definite article, e.g.
>>"This is the key...."

> I'll bet you keyed in that post with conviction. :-)
>
> --
>
> Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
> and furthermore always carry a small snake.
> - W.C. Fields

Yes, I did. To key something is a proper verb. Linking it with is in a
sentence like "This is key to etc." is not except for the slick yuppies I
have to deal with up here have decided they will use it that way.. It
should be "This is THE key to etc."

Just like the affectated names realtors give housing developments to make
them sound better. We have one up here known as The Wealshire, which almost
everyone I know refers to as The Weaselshire. Just because not everyone
lives in a neighborhood in Chicago, doesn't mean we have to come up with a
name that is loaded with terminal cuteness to replace them. I used to live
in Roseland. That name had a reason for being, in that Roseland was
originally settled by the Dutch and was until about 1890 separate from
Chicago and they did used to grow roses. Then when it got too urbanized,
they moved to South Holland. I've also lived in a subdivision called
"Holiday Hills", which was NO holiday, believe me. I lived on Timberline
Drive, which had no timber at all, and wasn't a very straight line, either.

I'm just glad that KdF Wagen didn't stick as a moniker for our favorite car.
Another example of a 'too cute to survive' name. Some Germans derisively
used to call it the "Kutz durch Fenster" Wagen in those days. (That means
hurl through the window for all you non-German-speakers. Sorry no umlauts.)
Dr Porsche always thought of it as the Volkswagen, no matter what the party
hacks wanted to call it. And you thought Germans didn't have a sense of
humor <g>

Charles of Kankakee

Old November 2nd 04, 12:51 AM
Steve

"Kidd Andersson" > wrote in message

>>My intention was to say it was getting close to epidemic levels, but not
>>there yet... hence my use of "is becoming"... Quite appropriate for what
>>I was trying to suggest.
>>

> Nope. "is becoming an epidemic in the last few years" still isn't
> grammatically
> correct no matter what you mean or how you intended it. There are a
> million
> ways to write it, correctly and incorrectly. No matter what you meant,
> your
> tenses were still mismatched. Intentions only count when you act on them.
>
> Sig Heil!
>
> K.
> "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You
> jump
> off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Ya both lost me.

Kidd: Your new sig kills me.

--
Steve Hewitt
67 Bug

Old November 2nd 04, 03:10 AM
Chip Keller

When people say "This is key", they are using it as an adjective, not
a "pseudo-verb". It's entirely acceptable in the same way you can say
"This is important", "This is paramount", and so on. What about key
decisions? Keep on hating the yuppies, but for different reasons,
'cause they're right about this one.

-Chip

Old November 2nd 04, 04:27 AM
MUADIB®

And What if someone "keyed" your car?

that not Acceptable either?

( just askin.........)

Old November 2nd 04, 08:21 AM
Kidd Andersson

>And I have hated the way the word key is used as a pseudo-verb. "This is
>key" Pure BS. Key is a NOUN, and should have a definite article, e.g.
>"This is the key...."

I really think your post is key to understanding your anger at the use of the
English language. Maybe you need to losen up your tie and loose yourself in a
bottle of Tequila.

>Next thing you know, they will do away with Fraktur

Hey, I had a fraktur once. Okay, I've had a cuple frakturs, but never any clean
brakes!

(You have no idea how hard this post was for me to do.)

Old November 2nd 04, 08:58 PM
Tim Rogers

"Kidd Andersson" > wrote in message

> No. I could never be a programmer.
> Fortunately, the career my future holds only requires me to carry a gun

and
> enjoy the city's stupidity. Woot!

...............I've got to remember this post the next time I'm in Central
Florida.

Old November 2nd 04, 10:56 PM
ilambert

On your 1 to 10 scale the '71 is a 2 and the '84 is an 11.Heavy,dirty and
wet.Get lots of help(it goes out the bottom)and take LOTS of pictures of the
before type so you have a chance of getting those lines right.

Old November 3rd 04, 01:40 PM

ilambert wrote:
> On your 1 to 10 scale the '71 is a 2 and the '84 is an 11.

Ah. Words of encouragement!

> Heavy,dirty and wet.

The way I like my women.

> Get lots of help

My friend Phan studied it for a while. Said, "Compared to pulling
Japanese car engine, this easy."

> (it goes out the bottom)

Is this the right NG for that kind of talk? Take it to alt.poop

> and take LOTS of pictures of the
> before type so you have a chance of getting those lines right.

Yeah, really. It looks like what was behind the walls in "Brazil."

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
-=-=-
"If Arsenic Fails, Try Algebra"
-- Unknown