Problems with car

Old July 17th 04, 07:22 AM
Xino Kiner

Default Problems with car

I own a Saturn, I was on the highway the other day and the engine light
came on. I don't know a lot about cars so I pulled over right away and
opened the hood. I didn't see anything wrong so I got back in and started
the engione and went on my way. After about an hour that damn light came
on again so I pulled over. All the belts were in place, the oil was full,
I had plenty of gas, the battery wires were still connected and the fan was
still turning. What should I do? Help?!

XINO
Old July 17th 04, 05:01 PM
Art

Check for a loose gas cap first as it says in the manual.

Old July 17th 04, 06:47 PM
richard hornsby

Art wrote:
> Check for a loose gas cap first as it says in the manual.

good call.

The SES light means just that - Service Engine _Soon_. It generally
does not indicate an immediate and critical failure, but rather a
sensor is reporting something out of normal range. Getting the code
read from the computer will tell you what sensor is reporting a
problem. My car recently showed SES and it was running fine, but
turned out to need plug wires.

Critical failure lights are things like Oil Pressure. If you get one
of those, you should get the car out of traffic immediately, pull
over, cut the engine, and probably call a tow truck. Unlike the SES
light, don't keep driving with the oil pressure light on, unless you
know what you're doing, or want to destroy your motor.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, without knowing more about the
problem as well as the year/make/model/mileage/color of your vehicle,
there isn't much any of us can tell you.

-rj
98SL2