Need help code ERROR p0171 or code [51 in the haynes repair manual]

Old September 29th 06, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
pchotspot

Default Need help code ERROR p0171 or code [51 in the haynes repair manual]

I just bought a [96 grand voyager 3.3L. V-6] and the check engine
light is on. the major error/code is 51 or P0171. indicating: "A
lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich
correction factor." what does that mean and how do I correct the
malfunction?

Old September 30th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Mike

"pchotspot" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just bought a [96 grand voyager 3.3L. V-6] and the check engine
> light is on. the major error/code is 51 or P0171. indicating: "A
> lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich
> correction factor." what does that mean and how do I correct the
> malfunction?

P0171 - Fuel system too lean, bank no.1

It means the engine is running lean. This could be caused by many things,
such as a vacuum leak, low fuel pressure or a failed O2 sensor. It would be
easily diagnosed with a scan tool ( not a code reader ) and fuel pressure
guage.

Old September 30th 06, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"pchotspot" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just bought a [96 grand voyager 3.3L. V-6] and the check engine
> light is on. the major error/code is 51 or P0171. indicating: "A
> lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich
> correction factor." what does that mean and how do I correct the
> malfunction?

That is not a good fault code for that vehicle. (P0171) There is only one
upstream 02 sensor for that engine and it will not determine front and rear
lean/rich condition. Assuming that the engine is running good, (maybe a
slight hesitation) and you are looking for a repair without having it
properly diagnosed.....Replace the upstream 02 sensor. its probably the
original one anyhow.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech