1961 CORVETTE question

Old February 2nd 06, 07:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 1961 CORVETTE question

> wrote in message
>I have the opportunity to buy a 1961 corvette for $8000. It
>is a
> basket case - frame is straight and the body is good from
> the firewall
> back. The front clip is also there but is a new after
> market piece. It
> has all of the parts - trim etc. that were on the car. It
> has the
> correct 283 ci engine and tranny but it is not #'s
> matching.
>
> My question:
>
> is this car worth $8000 as it sits? We're talking total
> resto here.
>
> Any input and objective advice is needed - fast!
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick

Check out this NADA link and see the values of the 61.
go from there...
http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/selecty...I=1-12-1-2028-
0-0-0&Lnk=1&wSec=12&wPr=1&wPg=2029&ct=7&
amp;mk=1035

has a length of 107 characters and resulted in the following
TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/djb3p

g'luck
--
"Key"
Grant me the senility to forget the people

Old February 2nd 06, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

> wrote in message
>I have the opportunity to buy a 1961 corvette for $8000. It is a
> basket case - frame is straight and the body is good from the
> firewall
> back. The front clip is also there but is a new after market piece.
> It
> has all of the parts - trim etc. that were on the car. It has the
> correct 283 ci engine and tranny but it is not #'s matching.
>
> My question:
>
> is this car worth $8000 as it sits? We're talking total resto here.
>
> Any input and objective advice is needed - fast!
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick

Could be, but most likely will need to be restored to original to
outrun the cost of restoration. I just left a shop that does them and
one of the '61s he's working on will top $100,000, not stock. Another
57 was going to get hit with a $40,000 labor bill. These are prices
that shops get and are representative of the time (cost) you will get
into a job like you're suggesting needs to be done.

If it has all of the parts it would be the first time that has ever
happened.

Dad
Prior owner of a 1961 silver/red/4 speed/dual 4
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cf1957.../ph//my_photos

Old February 3rd 06, 05:57 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

No.

Buy my car for $8500 and tell me where this '61 is.

I know these can vary greatly from what you think you are getting and what
you actually get, but I haven't seen any C1s going cheap in a long time. If
you can get more info, pictures, etc, we could be more accurate on price,
but I think you had better go for it.

Just remember, you need to do much of the work. You hire it out, you might
as well go buy one ready to go for $60,000 and enjoy it today, rather than a
year from now.

Old February 3rd 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Honestly... YES...

I make the assumption that it has a good title...!
But with a Good Frame and the complete Body..it is
very hard to go wrong at that price.....

Now to restore such a car is going to run you another 40-50 K
at the minimum...

Bob G.

Old February 4th 06, 02:02 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

> No.

>> My question:
>>
>> is this car worth $8000 as it sits? We're talking total resto here.
>>
>> Any input and objective advice is needed - fast!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rick

I kinda like the options @ the NCRS show
buy a frame with C-4 suspension
get a 54 or 57 or 60 or 63 kit
Spend $50k puttin it all together
drive a nice car that catches everyone's eye

the NCRS assholes a livid about this

Kick-buttitaintacorvette-start

Old February 4th 06, 05:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Just some prices: Windshield and frame $2500, pair of recovered seats $2500,
hardtop $2500, every piece of stainless regardless of size $100 or more.
Grill bar and teeth $350, etc.. Very expensive though way cheaper than
53-55s.

Old February 4th 06, 06:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

That "No" should be a "No ;-) " if you know what I mean. No, like in no,
so tell me where it is so I can get it. :-)

Now whether it is a good deal or not is another thing.

ink.net...

Old February 4th 06, 06:36 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I know, and I just don't get it. First off, it makes all the NCRS cars
worth more. There are fewer that way and fewer always means $$$.

Second, it let's people get these old cars out and drive them. Do you
really want to be traveling across country in a 45 year old Vette? Granted,
it should be like new if completely restored, but most are restored with old
parts, and old parts broke when they were new.

Third, it means a pile of original parts available to those restoring.
Original frames, original suspensions, etc.

Fourth, in driving them, it makes more people think about these old cars,
even if the one they are seeing isn't really old. But the more people see,
the more they want, and that increases prices, too.

From my standpoint, that is bad, because I'd like to be like Bob G and have
about 3 or 4 Corvettes around, but at today's prices, that just ain't gonna
happen. But from most NCRS people's standpoint, they already have their
prime cars and are making a killing if they decide to sell to buy another.

.. .

Old February 4th 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Eugene Blanchard" > wrote in message
> Just some prices: Windshield and frame $2500, pair of recovered
> seats $2500,
> hardtop $2500, every piece of stainless regardless of size $100 or
> more.
> Grill bar and teeth $350, etc..

No grill bar or theeth in the '61