GTR: You must be kidding me

Old December 17th 05, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR: You must be kidding me

"Jan Verschueren" > writes:

> "Andreas Davour" wrote in message...
> >> <snip>

> > I have tested the GTR demo, and it works fine with my Logitech
> > MOMO wheel. It felt a bit twisty and a bit "detached" from the
> > ground, but that's how I feel most sims feel. I guess it's the
> > difference between GPL cars and the touring/sports cars in GTR.
> > (hey, I don't know the difference so I just know it aint a '67 F1
> > one...)

> Sounds like you haven't got the "invert" box (at work, so not sure what it's
> called in the game) in the FF settnigs screen ticked. GTR should feel a lot
> more "attached" than GPL... just don't forget to warm up your brakes or
> you'll be in for a surprise at Les Combes. <g>

Well, it didn't pull me into the corners like F1C did, if that what you
mean. It just didn't feel like I was in control of the car like I feel
in GPL.

I hope it doesn't sound to snobbish, but for meGTR didn't feel very much
at all. Some have talked about the feel of rFactor being a bit like
"driving on polygons" compared to GPL. Maybe it's the same thing, I
don't know.

I'd love to try a touring/sports car sim that feel good to drive!

BTW, I think the original poster should try to get GTR to work
anyway. It has the best sound I've ever heard in a racing sim! Just
fantastic.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 17th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Graycat - You have some kind of a systems problem. So I can be of no
help there. Your problem is not fundamental to GTR. FWIW, the physics
in GTR are greatly superior to GPL, as they should be some years later.
The cars respond well to setup changes, you can't jerk the wheel back
and forth like you can in GPL, you can't run the cars too low, etc etc.

If you just like the GPL cars, or race online its a different matter.
For hotlapping and racing against the AI GTR has replaced GPL for me,
and for many former GPL addicts. Rfactor is also good, but the cars
and tracks are fantasies, so I'm not interested.

Old December 17th 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Bob" > writes:

> If you just like the GPL cars, or race online its a different matter.
> For hotlapping and racing against the AI GTR has replaced GPL for me,
> and for many former GPL addicts. Rfactor is also good, but the cars
> and tracks are fantasies, so I'm not interested.

Bob,

Since you know a little about both GPL and GTR maybe you could enlighten
me a bit about the online capabilities of GTR? I've heard a lot of weird
nice about it, and don't know what to think.

....maybe this counts as a threadjack...

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 17th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default You must be kidding me

> I never knew you could cut that busstop so badly....now I do!

I follow the 2 wheel standard, keeping 2 wheels on the track /
curbing at all times. Note that the real F1 drivers did the
same thing before they lenghthened the chicane at Spa,
here's a video of David Coulthard with a qualifying setup
back in 2002:

http://jeffareid.net/real/spaf1.wmv

Old December 17th 05, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in message
>> I never knew you could cut that busstop so badly....now I do!

> I follow the 2 wheel standard, keeping 2 wheels on the track /
> curbing at all times. Note that the real F1 drivers did the
> same thing before they lenghthened the chicane at Spa,
> here's a video of David Coulthard with a qualifying setup
> back in 2002:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/real/spaf1.wmv

I always thought that the 2 wheel standard is that you always have 2
complete tyres on the black/grey part of the track. Cutting more than that
is too much, imo.

--
Mika Takala

Old December 18th 05, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Since you know a little about both GPL and GTR maybe you could
enlighten
me a bit about the online capabilities of GTR?"

Sorry, I don't do online. Some people thnk online GTR is bad, some
think it's OK. GTLegends is supposedly better online.

Old December 18th 05, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>>> I never knew you could cut that busstop so badly....now I do!
>>
>> I follow the 2 wheel standard, keeping 2 wheels on the track /
>> curbing at all times. Note that the real F1 drivers did the
>> same thing before they lenghthened the chicane at Spa,
>> here's a video of David Coulthard with a qualifying setup
>> back in 2002:
>>
>> http://jeffareid.net/real/spaf1.wmv

> I always thought that the 2 wheel standard is that you always have 2 complete tyres on the black/grey part of the
> track. Cutting more than that is too much, imo.

For GPL, the standard was any part of the two tires touching the track.
GTR cars are more spin prone than the cars of other sims, especially
at that chicane which has a slight crest on the right turns. For GTR,
I cut that chicane more than I do with other games to avoid losing the
rear end.

If you look at my F1 run at the Spa 2002 setup, I barely touch the
curbs:

http://jeffareid.net/f1c/f1cspa.wmv

If you look at the video of the F1 at Spa, you'll note that there is some
green track just outside of the curbing, and many racers routinely cut
there. Spa has since been changed, the track bends more right before
the first tight left, and there's a short straight before the tight
right. The rise in the turn is virtually gone now. The issue with
the old chicane was going over the curbing was rough on the suspension
of the F1 cars, so they changed it.

Old December 18th 05, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> "Since you know a little about both GPL and GTR maybe you could
> enlighten
> me a bit about the online capabilities of GTR?"
>
> Sorry, I don't do online. Some people thnk online GTR is bad, some
> think it's OK. GTLegends is supposedly better online.

My experiences with all versions of GTR have left a lot to be desired
online. Cars disappearing, floating, appearing on top of each other
etc.Some people claim that if you mess around with the client/server
settings enough you can have some good races. rFactor has been very good
online for me. I've only had about 30-40 races but haven't had any real
issues. Never had any problems with GPL either after they released the
'disco' patch.

Old December 18th 05, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I probably won't get it because of the copy protection.

If they want to protect the CD, fine. We're used to that. But installing
all sorts of crap on my computer (MY computer) that is not relevent to the
game is going to far.

Just ask Sony how that's worked out for them.

-Larry

et...

Old December 19th 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I just got through building my new computer,

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, there lies your problem? and maybe, just maybe,
its not GTR thats at fault here.....?

Maybe, just maybe, you should go back and check your new pc build for
probs?

Just a suggestion....