NASCAR Racing 2005? What have I got here?

Old August 2nd 05, 08:04 PM
Alan Bernardo

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I can't remember the link - it's out there. It's not a pirate of EA's
> NR2k5, but a 2005 update to Papy's N2003. AutoSimSport's article
> seemed to indicate that there was a legal/illegal version out there,
> and I thought I had the content-only update.
> I'll have to look tonight and see exactly what this file is.
> I do remember it was on the site as a direct link download.
>
> Kendt

Oh, I see. Boy, I'd stay away and grab what mods I wanted individually.
Trying to install that big of executable could screw things up, and you'd
never know what mod did the deed.

Alanb

Old August 2nd 05, 08:54 PM
Alan Bernardo

"Saltheart_Foamfollower" > wrote in message
m...
> This is just a hacked NR2003 exe and the current 05 carset/tracks.
> Totally illegal to the extreme. Id assume no online play through Sierra
> (if its still even going?). Im not sure as I have a legal copy
>
> Mitch

I see. Sounds dangerous.

Thanks,

Alanb

Old August 2nd 05, 10:54 PM
Joe

I just Googled "NASCAR Racing 2003". The file showed up on one of the
resulting pages. It is not an image file. It is a ZIP file named
"NASCAR_Racing_2005_Season.zip" that unzips into a single folder containing
what looks like the complete game, appearently ready to go.

Judging from the posts in this thread it is likely a pirate version and thus
destined for oblivion. Seems to me that even if it were a legit mod that did
play online the mod would be next to useless because anyone who wanted to
join my race would have to have the identical mod for the race to work. My
guess is that's a slim population to draw on. Whether NR2005 works online or
not, of you are the only one on the server you are single player against the
AI. So what good is it?

I have not yet worked up the nerve to click on that exe file. I want to back
up a few things first.

Old August 2nd 05, 11:00 PM
Gil

Does the program work with online racing?

Old August 2nd 05, 11:33 PM
Jeff Reid

> One file I came across was close to 700 megs worth of something called "NASCAR Racing 2005".

There are two NR2005 mods, the one you have is a self installing complete
package that doesn't require NR2003 to be installed. I've tried it and it
installs and runs just fine. Not being an NR2003 expert, I'm not sure it
was that much different than NR2003.

The main issue is that NR2003 isn't required to be installed to install
and run this version of the NR2005 mod. However, I would assume that 99.9%
of all players using NR2005 mod are NR2003 owners. Note that other mods,
like GTP 1.0, require NR2003 to be installed, but don't require the cd-rom
in order to run the game. There also no-cd patches for NR2003 (I use this
to avoid using my cd-rom, since the game is going for $70 and more at
Ebay). There's also a no-cd patch for GTP 1.1.

The NR2005 mod used to be available at many racing sim sites, but now
you mostly find it at bittorrent sites (a free program that speeds up
downloads). Just do a web search for NR_2005_MOD.ZIP, or NR_2005_MOD.RAR.

The other NR2005 mod is a collection of tracks and cars. I don't know if
there are any physics changes. It looked like a complicated install proces.
I haven't tried this one yet.

Several racing sim sites claim to have online racing for the NR2005 mod,
I don't know which version of the mod they are referring to.

Old August 3rd 05, 02:33 AM
jwilson54

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>One file I came across was close to 700 megs worth of something called "NASCAR Racing 2005".

> There are two NR2005 mods, the one you have is a self installing complete
> package that doesn't require NR2003 to be installed. I've tried it and it
> installs and runs just fine. Not being an NR2003 expert, I'm not sure it
> was that much different than NR2003.
>
> The main issue is that NR2003 isn't required to be installed to install
> and run this version of the NR2005 mod. However, I would assume that 99.9%
> of all players using NR2005 mod are NR2003 owners. Note that other mods,
> like GTP 1.0, require NR2003 to be installed, but don't require the cd-rom
> in order to run the game. There also no-cd patches for NR2003 (I use this
> to avoid using my cd-rom, since the game is going for $70 and more at
> Ebay). There's also a no-cd patch for GTP 1.1.
>
> The NR2005 mod used to be available at many racing sim sites, but now
> you mostly find it at bittorrent sites (a free program that speeds up
> downloads). Just do a web search for NR_2005_MOD.ZIP, or NR_2005_MOD.RAR.
>
> The other NR2005 mod is a collection of tracks and cars. I don't know if
> there are any physics changes. It looked like a complicated install proces.
> I haven't tried this one yet.
>
> Several racing sim sites claim to have online racing for the NR2005 mod,
> I don't know which version of the mod they are referring to.

Illegal-yep
Delete it-I didn't
yes there is online racing via ip addy
it's a real enjoyable sim,physics changed to 2005 parameters,an
excellent mod.
Old August 3rd 05, 03:47 AM
Jeff Reid

> Illegal-yep

Why is it illegal? As long as the user has a valid copy of
NR2003, what harm is there in using this or any mod?

Old August 3rd 05, 04:31 AM
Sting32

Hell I got it, ran fine, not sure about bugs though. was nice, harder to
drive (without aids) at least at some tracks, the visualls were nice on my
6600gt.

pirate, most definitely, too bad It had not been just a modifaction instead
of full game in a download... worst part is, could have a bug installed
depending on where you found it, I would bet...

Old August 3rd 05, 05:10 AM
Dave Henrie

"Jeff Reid" > wrote in news:BeWHe.236647$Qo.73655
@fed1read01:

>> Illegal-yep

> Why is it illegal? As long as the user has a valid copy of
> NR2003, what harm is there in using this or any mod?

because it is useable WITHOUT any version of nr2k3 already installed.
Most mods work with a comercial product. This operates 100% independantly.
And, as we have seen, the legal use of a mod of any sort has come under
attack. This one is blatantly stepping across whatever imaginary line
there is that separates legal vs non-legal.

dave henrie
Old August 3rd 05, 12:41 PM
Charles Brennan

Where did you find it? I have been searching for it with no
luck..Raceservers.net had it but took it down before I could get it.Any help
appreciated ....thanks....Chuck