NASCAR Racing 2005? What have I got here?

Old August 2nd 05, 03:12 PM
Joe

Default NASCAR Racing 2005? What have I got here?

After a long absence I am just now getting back into racing. Step one was
reloading NR2003 (plus official patches and add-ons). Step two was to cast
around for whatever unofficial mods the well equiped racer was using
nowadays.

One file I came across was close to 700 megs worth of something called
"NASCAR Racing 2005". I expected to find a massive "Total Conversion" along
the order of Half-Life's "Counter Strike" and "Day of Defeat". What I did
find appeared to be a complete game in itself. Hmmmmm.... In my imagination
"Harr Matey"! and "Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!" played over and over.

I don't really know if it runs because, pirated software being what it is,
one never really know what clicking on that "exe" will do and I did not
attempt to boot it for fear of a massive infection. My first instinct is to
delete it but before I do I wanted to run it by you guys.

Anyone know just what I have here?

Legit?

Pirate?

Old August 2nd 05, 03:41 PM
schooner

Works - yes.
Pirate - yes.

Old August 2nd 05, 04:16 PM
mcewena

>After a long absence I am just now getting back into racing.
> Step one was reloading NR2003
> Step two was to cast around for whatever unofficial mods

Step three, pick a side on the 1st vs. modders debate.

Old August 2nd 05, 04:18 PM
schooner

Not much to debate, this is a cracked EXE and full copy of the game. It is
piracy plain and simple as is.
It is not an add-on but a complete copy of NR2003 with mods that does not
require the user to even have the original NR2003.

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 05, 04:46 PM
ymenard

>"mcewena" > wrote
> Step three, pick a side on the 1st vs. modders debate.

No, something like NR2005 is really bad for the community. It's a
completely pirate game, it's imho not even a mod. It's just a pirated game,
and gives for free what some people worked hard to do.

Some people just went WAY too far this time. It'll hurt the community in
long-term that's for sure.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old August 2nd 05, 06:28 PM

I've downloaded it, but not installed it - are there physics mods?
Could it not be made legal by just collecting the updated content and
making an install of that? Or have they stolen work from other
modders?

Kendt

Old August 2nd 05, 07:22 PM
Alan Bernardo

> One file I came across was close to 700 megs worth of something called
> "NASCAR Racing 2005".

Out of curiosity, how do you just happen to "come across" a 700 meg file?
Is the computer yours? Has it been used by others?

It's pretty obvious that the file you speak of is an image file of maybe
EA's game. Someone had to have downloaded it.

And you say this file is an *.exe file? Stranger still. Most pirated
software comes in parts; and when you put the parts together, you get an
image file, with an *.iso or *.bin extension. The only explanation would
be that someone changed the file to a self-extracting file, which, when
executed, would just spit out the parts.

But then again it could be a backup file, zipped with the executable option.
Executing the file would then restore the game, with its individual
directories. I would say it's highly unlikely that it's some sort of virus.

I'd execute the thing (not kill it, mind you) and see what happens. I'm
curious.

Alanb

Old August 2nd 05, 07:24 PM
Alan Bernardo

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've downloaded it, but not installed it - are there physics mods?
> Could it not be made legal by just collecting the updated content and
> making an install of that? Or have they stolen work from other
> modders?
>
> Kendt

Might I ask where you got this file? It's most definitely pirated, I would
think.

Alanb

Old August 2nd 05, 07:35 PM

I can't remember the link - it's out there. It's not a pirate of EA's
NR2k5, but a 2005 update to Papy's N2003. AutoSimSport's article
seemed to indicate that there was a legal/illegal version out there,
and I thought I had the content-only update.
I'll have to look tonight and see exactly what this file is.
I do remember it was on the site as a direct link download.

Kendt

Old August 2nd 05, 07:40 PM
Saltheart_Foamfollower

This is just a hacked NR2003 exe and the current 05 carset/tracks. Totally
illegal to the extreme. Id assume no online play through Sierra (if its
still even going?). Im not sure as I have a legal copy

Mitch

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in > It's pretty obvious