"cockpitLookDeadZone" affects Centering Spring

Old February 23rd 13, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default "cockpitLookDeadZone" affects Centering Spring

"cockpitLookDeadZone" affects Centering Spring BADLY.
"cockpitLookDeadZone" should be at 0.000000. It looks like this is
another "invention" of iRacing/Papyrus that messes FFB big time, messes it
BADLY. Those people DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING *at all*. My god.
Well, this is the biggest thing that I've found out so far. Along
with the finding of the unlinearity, this is the most important, also. Those
two things mess out FFB BIG TIME.
I also figured out that Centering Spring slider should be at 100%.
Well, this leaves me with five other sliders.
Regarding driver's sliders, I am not sure. It could be that Spring
and Damper should be at 100%, or Spring/Damper times Overall should be 100%.
Regarding in-game sliders, I am pretty sure that Damping should be
at 50%. Strength should be either at 50% (which is 30.0), or at 50.0.
I had enough of testing for now, so I didn't figure out yet. But now
that I've figured out this "cockpitLookDeadZone"/Centering Spring thing,
everything will be easier. I'll just use some tricky conditions, like
Dallara at Mid-Ohio, and this should show pretty clear what's going on.

Old February 24th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
[...]

Now I am using 125/100/100/100, and in-game 30.0/50%. This is good
baseline setting. I'll see if there is something to change here.

Old February 25th 13, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
[...]

Hm, it turned out that "cockpitLookDeadZone" works well if Centering
Spring is at the same value as Overall. So, I determined the
"cockpitLookDeadZone" for my system, and it is 0.022.

Old February 28th 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
[...]

Hm, interesting thing happened. I used 125/100/100/125, with
cockpitLookDeadZone = 0.0215, and realized that Centering Spring is too
high. So, I changed to 125/100/100/100, and realized that this needs
different cockpitLookDeadZone. IOW, each Cenetring Spring likes different
cockpiLookDeadZone. At Centering Spring at 100% I like 0.012. So, this would
say that, the lower the Centering Spring, the lower is cockpitLookDeadZone.
I'll test this some other day, but I presume that Centering Spring
that likes cockpitLookDeadZone of 0.000000 should be not far below 100%.
Maybe the goal actually is to find that Centering Spring that works with
cockpitLookDeadZone of 0.000000. I am looking forward to see how this works
(some other day).
Thankfully, I figured out what happens if cockpitLookDeadZone is too
high, so probably I will have no problems to find it. On Dallara it is easy
to see what happens. Actually, too high cockpitLookDeadZone (which probably
means too high screen latency) likes to spin the car. Probably too high
default cockpitLookDeadZone in iRacing (0.050000) is actually what spins the
car.

Old March 2nd 13, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
[...]

I still didn't test all the options, but the more I test the more it
looks like Centering Spring should be 0%, and then you have to adjust
"cockpitLookDeadZone".
So, it looks like it should be -/100/100/0. iRacing's recommendation
is just the opposite, (100)/0/0/100.

Old March 3rd 13, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
I still didn't test all the options, but the more I test the more it
looks like Centering Spring should be 0%, and then you have to adjust
"cockpitLookDeadZone".
So, it looks like it should be -/100/100/0. iRacing's recommendation
is just the opposite, (100)/0/0/100.

It looks like this is a dead end, Centering Spring should be 100%.
Instead, it looks like cockpitLookDeadZone is much higher than I thought,
something like 0.16, or 0.17.

Old March 5th 13, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
I still didn't test all the options, but the more I test the more it
looks like Centering Spring should be 0%, and then you have to adjust
"cockpitLookDeadZone".
So, it looks like it should be -/100/100/0. iRacing's recommendation
is just the opposite, (100)/0/0/100.

It looks like this is a dead end, Centering Spring should be 100%.
Instead, it looks like cockpitLookDeadZone is much higher than I thought,
something like 0.16, or 0.17.

Ok, major breakthrough.
First I roughly determined cockpitLookDeadZone with the Dallara, as
above. Dallara is good for this. For fine-tuning the cockpitLookDeadZone I
used the McLaren, and it turned out that roghly it is 0.176500.
Then I tried the DP car, and realized that Centering Spring is too
high. DP car is good for this, because it is sensible to Centering Spring
setting. I tried it at Laguna Seca, and it turned out that this is excellent
track to test this, because it has tricky entrance to the Corkscrew. Only
with Centering Spring at 50% you can take it safely. With Centering Spring
at 50%, even if car turns wrongly you can correct it.
Well, somebody should put Centering Spring to 50% a long time ago. I
don't know if it works like this because I have in-game sliders at 50% as
well, but I doubt it (I will check this some other day).
Well, this is the major breakthrough, because now I can clearly see
what is happening with FFB, without being messed up by wrong Centering
Spring setting.
This is big thing. I probably can see it so clearly because I set
the other things well, also.

Old March 12th 13, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
[...]

Latest development.
I am still researching all this, but it looks like, the bigger
Centering Spring, the higher you have to have cockpitLookDeadZone.
Now, I researched this all the way, and I realized that the most
natural FFB feels like when you have Centering Spring CHECKED. But this
DOESN'T work with the default cockpitLookDeadZone of 0.050000 (that's
iRacing's default, I presume that Logitech's default should be 1.000000).
Instead, this works pretty well with something like 0.800000 on my system.
It looks like, when unchecked it sends only something like 10% of
Centering Spring, which isn't enough.

Old March 12th 13, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Mario Petrinovic:
Latest development.
I am still researching all this, but it looks like, the bigger
Centering Spring, the higher you have to have cockpitLookDeadZone.
Now, I researched this all the way, and I realized that the most
natural FFB feels like when you have Centering Spring CHECKED. But this
DOESN'T work with the default cockpitLookDeadZone of 0.050000 (that's
iRacing's default, I presume that Logitech's default should be 1.000000).
Instead, this works pretty well with something like 0.800000 on my system.
It looks like, when unchecked it sends only something like 10% of
Centering Spring, which isn't enough.

Well, now everything works like it should have worked from the day
1.
So, cokpitLookDeadZone should be 1.000000, and Centering Spring
should be checked.

Old March 17th 13, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

[...]

No, Centering Spring should be unchecked (thanks good). This works
also with unchecked Centering Spring.
So, the trick actually is to put "cockpitLookDeadZone" to 1.000000.
It is as good as when iRacing allowed LINEAR FFB. This is again some
"smart" iRacing's invention, that messes everything up, just like
unlinearity.