windshield replacement - which brand?

Old July 25th 05, 08:05 PM
redindian

Default windshield replacement - which brand?

My 2001 325i sedan was hit by a stone and has a (expanding) hairline
crack

Safelite says they can replace it for $250ish
Novus says they use OEM Windshied (without BMW logo) for $440

Has anyone has any experience with either brands? What to look out for?
is there any grading/ pressure rating/ clarity etc?

thanks
ram
Seattle, WA

Old July 25th 05, 10:18 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, redindian wrote:

> My 2001 325i sedan was hit by a stone and has a (expanding) hairline
> crack
>
> Safelite says they can replace it for $250ish Novus says they use OEM
> Windshied (without BMW logo) for $440 Has anyone has any experience with
> either brands? What to look out for? is there any grading/ pressure
> rating/ clarity etc?

Auto glass is tough; there's a lot of counterfeit product coming in from
(wait for it...) China. That said, if you insist on a quality brand of
glass (Sicursiv, Sekurit, Pilkington, PPG, Guardian) you're generally at a
point where the quality of workmanship matters more than the specific
brand of glass. Another safeguard is to look for the (E)43R mark near the
makers' mark. North America doesn't subscribe to international ECE safety
regulations; for glass we use the less-stringent SAE standards, compliance
with which is certified by the "AS-1" mark on windshield glass and "AS-2"
the side and rear glass. The (E)43R mark signifies that the glass in
question is ECE type approved, which means it went through more/stricter
tests. This is commonly referred to as "E-marked" or "E-code marked"
glass.
Old July 25th 05, 11:02 PM
C.H.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:05:31 -0700, redindian wrote:

> My 2001 325i sedan was hit by a stone and has a (expanding) hairline crack
>
> Safelite says they can replace it for $250ish Novus says they use OEM
> Windshied (without BMW logo) for $440
>
> Has anyone has any experience with either brands? What to look out for? is
> there any grading/ pressure rating/ clarity etc?

I would go to a shop that uses windshields bought directly from BMW. It's
more money (though your comprehensive should cover that anyway) but you
can be sure the windshield is ok.

Chris