Is GTR the next GPL?

Old October 15th 04, 08:27 AM
john henry bonham

Default Is GTR the next GPL?

Seems to be quite a buzz about it. I haven't had much fun with any
racing sims since about 2001.
Old October 15th 04, 09:46 AM
Dan

Dont insult GPL like that.GPL was revolutionary while GTR is just hype.
RBR is the new GPL
.. .

Old October 15th 04, 11:23 AM
Rand Al'Thor

This is about the physics engine, right?

Guess I'll leave that to who's driven these cars IRL. I have brought RBR -
but again, however good this rally sim is it still feels real lonely out
there without the wheel to wheel competition

The physics do seem to me, very good in GTR with one reservation. However,
only time will tell if it has a chance to live up to the classic that is
GPL. I've also looked at the files and can see no way for modding like GPL
which has helped keep it alive for so long. And what is it about open wheel
racing; I just love seeing the wheels and suspension at work and it
seriously helps with the placement of the car on the track.

The real sad thing now is that GPLs graphics are looking really tardy and
dated being Directx7 and seeing the georgeous SPA in GTR and the rally
circuits in RBR complete with bump mapping (especially in RBR) its hard not
to be impressed with these latest sim additions.

Alan

Old October 15th 04, 02:52 PM
Pat

"Dan" > wrote in message >...
> Dont insult GPL like that.GPL was revolutionary while GTR is just hype.
> RBR is the new GPL
> "john henry bonham" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Seems to be quite a buzz about it. I haven't had much fun with any racing
> > sims since about 2001.

RBR feels like a racing sim demo to me. Great graphics and physics,
but nobody to race against (like the 1st GTR demo). I know this is
how rally racing is supposed to be, but I find it a bit... lonely.
Anyway, no sense in comparing RBR to GTR, as it's two completely
different types of "racing". If you prefer racing against the clock,
RBR can't be beat (at the moment). I prefer racing against other cars
on the circuit, so I am eagerly awaiting GTR!

-Pat
Old October 15th 04, 04:06 PM
Rich8

Ahhhhhhhh what a loaded question, which will produce predictable
results in this group... Damn bloody GPL luddites, hahahha... There
will never be another GPL, hell I even wonder if GPL could stand up to
GPL, hahahha..

Goes the old story, GPL simmer gets a chance to drive a full spec
modern F1 car, he takes it out for 20 laps (insert your favorite track
here) upon the conclusion of this test drive, he exits the car and
says "that was pretty cool, but it ain't no GPL"

Even with all the glaring problems in GPL looking like monsterous
cyclops that Sinbad had to battle, people still insist GPL is king..
Even though the folks who were instrumental in creating and beta
testing GPL exclaim in no uncertain terms that the technology has
moved on and there are more accurate simulations out there, still many
insist GPL is king.. And for them yes GPL is king, doesn't make GPL
the most technically proficient sim out there its SIMply (no pun
intended) what they dig....

Perhaps if Dave K. makes GPL2 some will finally change their tune,
though I'm sure they'll test it out, do some laps, come back into the
pits and exclaim (dont' make me say it !!) hahhhahhaha

Its no ........

PS: now excuse me while I run some laps in Pole Position...

GPL: its no pole position

now see you made me coin a new phrase , hahah

Old October 15th 04, 04:19 PM
Rich8

So in RBR you get the best competition from trees or zebras, as there
are no other cars to race against.... hehe. sorry I've heard that RBR
is very good but since in GPL your racing against 19 other cars and in
RBR its the clock or whatever animal you run into , how can you
compare...

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:46:24 +1000, "Dan" > wrote:

>Dont insult GPL like that.GPL was revolutionary while GTR is just hype.
>RBR is the new GPL
. ..

Old October 15th 04, 04:51 PM
Badmuther #1

Simple answer is.......... no !

Old October 15th 04, 05:07 PM
Jan Verschueren

"john henry bonham" wrote...
> Seems to be quite a buzz about it. I haven't had much
> fun with any racing sims since about 2001.

As a sim, GPL has been surpassed many times over. As a concept I think we
need to wait and see if either rFactor or Keammer's next offering (can't
think of the working title right now) will take off in a big way.

GTR, if it delivers on it's online promise, could attrackt a lot of GPL
simmers to it, but I'm quite sure it won't replace GPL entirely. Partly
because GTR will inherit some issues from earlier ISI games (having to
manually edit files to configer one's controller correctly, e.g.) and partly
because driving an accurate simulation of modern racing cars will require a
lot of discipline from the drivers.

Part of GPL's lasting appeal, I think, is that because of the nature of the
cars and the limitations/inaccuracies of the game, you can, in a driving
sense, push the boat out incredibly far wihtout getting punished for it,
making it simply a lot of fun to play.

Jan.
=---

Old October 15th 04, 07:26 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Rich8" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ahhhhhhhh what a loaded question, which will produce predictable
> results in this group... Damn bloody GPL luddites, hahahha... There
> will never be another GPL, hell I even wonder if GPL could stand up to
> GPL, hahahha..<snip>

The point is whether GTR will be to it's predecessors and peers what GPL
was, and the answer is almost certainly no. GPL, despite it's
now-acknowledged shortcomings, was so far above what had come before it that
it basically redefined the genre. Others have come along and done bits and
pieces better for sure, but no overall game/sim since has raised the bar as
much in one go. Which is natural; the closer you get to true realism, the
less you CAN advance in subsequent steps.

ISI (and their partners, i.e. SimBin) have indeed come a long way, but no
one has yet matched Papy for putting a total package together; physics,
graphics, interface, multiplayer, replay capability, controller support,
etc. I'd say DK's the best bet to surpass that benchmark, or maybe... (you
know who ;-)) But whoever manages it, the day can't come soon enough - I
need a good reason to build a new PC!

SB

Old October 15th 04, 08:43 PM
Plowboy2

At times, oh so many times, the beauty of RBR is just that, you dont need
nobody. That means no cheates, no wreckers, no bul**** jaw-flapping
keyboard jockies... There have been nights where you were "free" to race,
but there was nobody around, (most of the time they all were all in that
latest of 300th consecutive Dega-Tona servers)...

Sure I got the "Other 2 games for online racing, but Damnit I love RBR.

Rich8 enlightened us with: