Best way to remove plastic window stickers from glass?

Old February 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
Joe Blo

Default Best way to remove plastic window stickers from glass?

I have a plastic window sticker on my back window glass that I want to
remove.
I considered using wd40, oil, acetone etc, but since the sticker is
plastic, it can't soak through to disolve the adhesive. I am also
considering using a razor but I am concerned about scratching my
window.
What is the best/easiest way to remove the plastic-film window
stickers from glass? Thanks
Old February 3rd 04, 08:46 PM
Don Bruder

In article >,
(Joe Blo) wrote:

> I have a plastic window sticker on my back window glass that I want to
> remove.
> I considered using wd40, oil, acetone etc, but since the sticker is
> plastic, it can't soak through to disolve the adhesive. I am also
> considering using a razor but I am concerned about scratching my
> window.
> What is the best/easiest way to remove the plastic-film window
> stickers from glass? Thanks

Use your razor blade to "get it started", then spritz some solvent
(WD-40 or lighter fluid works well, I've found) into the gap between
sticker and glass. Give it a minute or three to work, then use your
razor to increase the "start", and repeat the solvent application/wait
process. Repeat until sticker is gone. Wash off any adhesive residue
with solvent, and you're done.

Your chances of scratching your window with a razor blade - ANY razor
blade, are pretty slim - glass is harder than all but specially hardened
metals/alloys, and I can't see any realistic chance of a finding a razor
blade constructed of such material. Even assuming that such a beast
exists, I'd be *VERY* doubtful about anyone going through the time,
effort, and expense needed to harden it to the point where it would be a
threat to even the lowest quality glass.

You mention acetone - A lot of plastics (not all, by any means, but a
decent number of them) will literally dissolve, like sugar in hot water,
when exposed to acetone. That may be another option for you, depending
on exactly what formula of plastic was used to make the sticker.

The razor-and-solvent method is a sure bet, though.

It should go without saying that you probably don't want to get any of
your chosen solvent on the paint-job unless you're an admirer of the
"streaks and dribbles" look...

--
Don Bruder -
<--- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
Old February 3rd 04, 08:51 PM
Andrew Smit

In article >, Joe Blo
> wrote:

> I have a plastic window sticker on my back window glass that I want to
> remove.
> I considered using wd40, oil, acetone etc, but since the sticker is
> plastic, it can't soak through to disolve the adhesive. I am also
> considering using a razor but I am concerned about scratching my
> window.
> What is the best/easiest way to remove the plastic-film window
> stickers from glass? Thanks

use a razor blade, it wont cut the glass but be carful not to cut any
weather seal around the edge. once you have most of it off and just the
adhesive is left then acetoene or whatever will take it off
Old February 4th 04, 04:27 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 2/3/04 12:26, Joe Blo's monkeys randomly typed:

> I have a plastic window sticker on my back window glass that I want to
> remove.
> I considered using wd40, oil, acetone etc, but since the sticker is
> plastic, it can't soak through to disolve the adhesive. I am also
> considering using a razor but I am concerned about scratching my
> window.
> What is the best/easiest way to remove the plastic-film window
> stickers from glass? Thanks

Use GooGone or similar orange peel based remover. Be careful
not to get it where you don't want it, as the stuff was originally
popular as an industrial grade graffiti remover. If this is
a glass window, you won't scratch it with a razor blade. Best
tactic is to put just a bit of the remover along the edges and
then gently scrape with the razor blade. As the edge moves
along, add a few more drops of remover.

--
Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them...

Old February 4th 04, 11:14 AM
Gus

Joe Blo wrote:
> I have a plastic window sticker on my back window glass that I want to
> remove.
> I considered using wd40, oil, acetone etc, but since the sticker is
> plastic, it can't soak through to disolve the adhesive. I am also
> considering using a razor but I am concerned about scratching my
> window.
> What is the best/easiest way to remove the plastic-film window
> stickers from glass? Thanks

1. I doubt very much you could scratch the glass with a razor blade -
but be careful about any defroster lines on the glass, those scratch
fairly easily.

2. years ago a recommended way to remove the formerly popular stickers
on rocker panels was to apply heat to soften the glue, working backward
a section at a time. As another poster commented, use a razor blade to
get the process started. You may end up with some adhesive on the
window, which you can remove with solvent after the sticker's gone.

HTH