removing gear box

Old January 17th 05, 08:14 AM
Sven Agardh

Default removing gear box

This weekend I have tried to remove the gear box on my Passat TDI '00 in
order to replace the clutch. I have finally managed to remove all the
bolts. Now I can move the gear box about 2 cm backwards, but then it
won't move anymore. There are two tubes above the gear box, just behind
the engine that seems to be in the way. I have followed the procedure in
the Haynes manual, but it says nothing about those tubes. I haven't been
able to understand what these tubes are for or what they contain. My
guess is that they are a part of some cooling system, but I'm not sure.
They are both connected to the engine case.

Does anybody know what these tubes are, and how I remove them? It is not
easy to see or work on them. Does the Bentley manual mention these tubes
in there procedure for removing the gear box? I guess I should get that
manual too. Sometimes (quite often) the Haynes manual is not detailed
enough for me. When it says something like "remove all the bolts that
you can reach from above" I always ask: How many bolts are there? Where
are they? It took a long time before I realized that I had missed one
bolt at the top of the transmission. I couldn't be seen, and was not
easy to feel.

Engine: AJM
Gear box: 012

/Sven
Old January 17th 05, 11:48 AM
Alec

Clutch slave cylinder ?
Gear shift rods ?
You might find what you need here :
http://volkswagen.msk.ru/
or you can buy access to the workshop manuals here :
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erWinVW/

Rgds
Alec
"Sven Agardh" > wrote in message
> This weekend I have tried to remove the gear box on my Passat TDI '00 in
> order to replace the clutch. I have finally managed to remove all the
> bolts. Now I can move the gear box about 2 cm backwards, but then it won't
> move anymore. There are two tubes above the gear box, just behind the
> engine that seems to be in the way. I have followed the procedure in the
> Haynes manual, but it says nothing about those tubes. I haven't been able
> to understand what these tubes are for or what they contain. My guess is
> that they are a part of some cooling system, but I'm not sure. They are
> both connected to the engine case.
>
> Does anybody know what these tubes are, and how I remove them? It is not
> easy to see or work on them. Does the Bentley manual mention these tubes
> in there procedure for removing the gear box? I guess I should get that
> manual too. Sometimes (quite often) the Haynes manual is not detailed
> enough for me. When it says something like "remove all the bolts that you
> can reach from above" I always ask: How many bolts are there? Where are
> they? It took a long time before I realized that I had missed one bolt at
> the top of the transmission. I couldn't be seen, and was not easy to feel.
>
> Engine: AJM
> Gear box: 012
>
> /Sven

Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 02:46 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 11:57 AM
No reverse gear on 2000 Saturn SL2 A/T 2000SaturnSL2 Saturn 6 October 6th 04 06:18 PM