Once again, LCD Screens for Sim Racing

Old January 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Once again, LCD Screens for Sim Racing

Hi,

I'm about to get a new wide lcd screen (my first own one), but I have
no idea which brand / model to get.

The minimum requirements are 1680x1050 native resolution (as my laptop)
and 5ms response time (fast enough for GTR/GTR2). There is no need for
speakers or DVI input, as I have speakers and woofer and laptop has
only VGA and S-video outs. (The graph processor is 256Mb ATI Mobility
Radeon X1600).

Any information helping me to right direction is appreciated.

TIA, Matt

Old January 11th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andi Cole

I used an NEC 20WGX2 for a while and it was very good. Changed it for a 22"
Asus which is not as crisp (being slightly bigger I guess) but a very nive
monitor for racing and FPS's.

The latter is a cheaper option in the UK anyway.

Andi.

oups.com...

Old January 12th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Blankenship

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to get a new wide lcd screen (my first own one), but I have
> no idea which brand / model to get.
>
> The minimum requirements are 1680x1050 native resolution (as my laptop)
> and 5ms response time (fast enough for GTR/GTR2). There is no need for
> speakers or DVI input, as I have speakers and woofer and laptop has
> only VGA and S-video outs. (The graph processor is 256Mb ATI Mobility
> Radeon X1600).
>
> Any information helping me to right direction is appreciated.
>
> TIA, Matt

Using a Samsung 225BW here at that resolution, and it's fine for racing
sims - in fact it's probably better as a gaming monitor than anything else.
The color needs tweaking out of the box, but that's not a big deal. Looks
like crap running 16bit color, but that only affects GPL for me - dunno what
else anyone might still be running in 16bit.

Looks like all the current crop of 22" panels are price-point models, so
they're not the very best best for color rendition, etc. But they are quite
good values and some can be had for less than $300 on sale. BeHardware has
a decent roundup of the current 22's at: http://www.behardware.com/.

The only thing I regret about getting the 225BW is I wish I'd gone bigger...
;-)

SB

Old January 12th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Steve Blankenship kirjoitti:

> Using a Samsung 225BW here at that resolution, and it's fine for racing
> sims - in fact it's probably better as a gaming monitor than anything else.
> The color needs tweaking out of the box, but that's not a big deal. Looks
> like crap running 16bit color, but that only affects GPL for me - dunno what
> else anyone might still be running in 16bit.
>
> Looks like all the current crop of 22" panels are price-point models, so
> they're not the very best best for color rendition, etc. But they are quite
> good values and some can be had for less than $300 on sale. BeHardware has
> a decent roundup of the current 22's at: http://www.behardware.com/.
>
> The only thing I regret about getting the 225BW is I wish I'd gone bigger...
> ;-)
>
> SB

Samsung 225BW sounds good to me. I'll go and try one out on weekend.
Please let me know more about the color tweaking.

Matt

Old January 12th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Blankenship

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Steve Blankenship kirjoitti:
>>
>> Using a Samsung 225BW here at that resolution, and it's fine for racing
>> sims - in fact it's probably better as a gaming monitor than anything
>> else.
>> The color needs tweaking out of the box, but that's not a big deal.
>> Looks
>> like crap running 16bit color, but that only affects GPL for me - dunno
>> what
>> else anyone might still be running in 16bit.
>>
>> Looks like all the current crop of 22" panels are price-point models, so
>> they're not the very best best for color rendition, etc. But they are
>> quite
>> good values and some can be had for less than $300 on sale. BeHardware
>> has
>> a decent roundup of the current 22's at: http://www.behardware.com/.
>>
>> The only thing I regret about getting the 225BW is I wish I'd gone
>> bigger...
>> ;-)
>>
>> SB

> Samsung 225BW sounds good to me. I'll go and try one out on weekend.
> Please let me know more about the color tweaking.
>
> Matt

Really not much to it; it's just a matter of running the calibration utility
since the presets aren't that great. There are apparently only one or two
different 22" panels out there so far, so the various brands of 22" displays
tend to look and perform a lot alike. You just have to get hands-on with
them to see how they look to you in various apps or buy from somewhere with
a liberal return/exchage policy.

SB

Old January 12th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Steve Blankenship enlightened us with:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm about to get a new wide lcd screen (my first own one), but I have
>> no idea which brand / model to get.
>>
>> The minimum requirements are 1680x1050 native resolution (as my
>> laptop) and 5ms response time (fast enough for GTR/GTR2). There is
>> no need for speakers or DVI input, as I have speakers and woofer and
>> laptop has only VGA and S-video outs. (The graph processor is 256Mb
>> ATI Mobility Radeon X1600).
>>
>> Any information helping me to right direction is appreciated.
>>
>> TIA, Matt
>>

> Using a Samsung 225BW here at that resolution, and it's fine for
> racing sims - in fact it's probably better as a gaming monitor than
> anything else. The color needs tweaking out of the box, but that's
> not a big deal. Looks like crap running 16bit color, but that only
> affects GPL for me - dunno what else anyone might still be running in
> 16bit.
> Looks like all the current crop of 22" panels are price-point models,
> so they're not the very best best for color rendition, etc. But they
> are quite good values and some can be had for less than $300 on sale.
> BeHardware has a decent roundup of the current 22's at:
> http://www.behardware.com/.
> The only thing I regret about getting the 225BW is I wish I'd gone
> bigger... ;-)
>
> SB

Yah, and you know people can tell you and you can hear this, (you wish you
bought bigger) and most of us are gonna say, yeah right... The whole time I
am looking at buying going, "man these are big, more than enough...." but I
went from the 15.2" viewable (17" crt) to the FPD 2185 (21" Wide Flat panel)
and for the 1st week: Im sitting at the desk in awe, big grin and everyone
in the house saying JEBUS that thing is HUGE...
Week 2, but Im already going, "if I had the money I would go bigger"... and
I still cant believe I feel that way, Im usually more easy to like what I
have...

Old January 12th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rolf Wesemann

Acer 24" is working very fine here. Resolution is 1920 x 1200 pixel, so I'm
using 2 x Nvidia 6800GT in SLI Mode and I'm thinking about 2 x 8800 now ;-))

The Acer isn't that expensive, but runs with, I think, 8 ms or 6 ms, I see
no traces, it's fine.
Rolf

Old January 15th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Steve Blankenship kirjoitti:

> Really not much to it; it's just a matter of running the calibration utility
> since the presets aren't that great. There are apparently only one or two
> different 22" panels out there so far, so the various brands of 22" displays
> tend to look and perform a lot alike. You just have to get hands-on with
> them to see how they look to you in various apps or buy from somewhere with
> a liberal return/exchage policy.
>
> SB

Got the 225BW today with 3 years on site "replace with new"" guaranty.
Still some tweaking to do, but so far so good!

Matt

Can Sim-Racing Help With Real Racing? [email protected] Simulators 13 January 8th 07 03:34 PM
The Deadly World of Street Racing [email protected] Driving 6 July 18th 06 06:58 AM
BOOK - ROAD RACING [email protected] Technology 1 April 25th 06 03:56 PM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 04:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM