1992 e32 735i -- Metal shavings in the Fuel tank.

Old December 4th 05, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 1992 e32 735i -- Metal shavings in the Fuel tank.

I replaced my fuel sender unit today -- while I had the fuel pump out -- I
noticed that there was metal shavings underneath the fuel pump.

is this a sign my fuel pump is on it's way out? The shavings are ONLY in the
sump where the fuel pump is -- no where else. The screen on the bottom of the
fuel pump was clean.

Thanks
-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old December 4th 05, 11:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I think so. Although my experience is not with the same car. Last
year when the fuel pump of my 94 SAAB 9000 went kaput, I noticed bright
metal shavings in the basket (lacking a better term to describe it)
outside of the pump too after removal from the fuel tank.

Old December 5th 05, 01:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks.

I'll order one up & try to figure out how to drain the tank so I can clean up
all the shavings...

Old December 5th 05, 03:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

John,

The shavings are more likely left over from manufacturing or from a
mischievous person. It would stand to reason that the shavings would
eventually be drawn to the suction end of the pump by vibrations and
currents. And really, you answered your own question when you mentioned
the screen on the pump; how could it be from the pump if it is
screened? Those shavings , if they were to originate from the pump,
they would be found in the fuel filter.

Just get a good magnetic tool and extract the little buggers.

Cheers,
B.D.

Old December 5th 05, 04:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>the screen on the pump; how could it be from the pump if it is
>screened? Those shavings , if they were to originate from the pump,
>they would be found in the fuel filter.

Thanks Brad.. That's a good observation.

>Just get a good magnetic tool and extract the little buggers.

Dunno why I didn't think of that! Probably becuase I assumed it was aluminum
since the pumpt seems to be made of that.

Thanks
-josh

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old December 5th 05, 05:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Josh Assing > wrote:

>is this a sign my fuel pump is on it's way out? The shavings are ONLY in the
>sump where the fuel pump is -- no where else. The screen on the bottom of the
>fuel pump was clean.

Are the pump's moving parts sealed inside an enclosure? If so, then
the only way shavings could get out from inside housing would be
through the screen, which is probably too fine for them to get
through. In this case, they were either there from the day the tank
was made, or they came in with the fuel.
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Old December 5th 05, 11:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Josh Assing" > wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> I'll order one up & try to figure out how to drain the tank so I can clean
> up
> all the shavings...

Try a magnetic pick up to collect this swarf. Draining the tank is not for
wimps!

Old December 5th 05, 11:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>through. In this case, they were either there from the day the tank
>was made, or they came in with the fuel.

It's odd that the only place I saw the shavings was right in the bucket (or
whatever it's called) that the pump sits in...

I hadn't considered fuel being the source tho. Thanks.
-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.