Hum after rear-end gear change

Old July 30th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_21_]

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

"88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in news:a324e9b0-
:

> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>
> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> and should be ignored.
>
> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> little cost.
>
> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> annoying.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

What brand were the gears? Ford gears have earned a reputation (at least
among the installers I know on- and off-line) for requiring the least
amount of adjustment and resulting in the least amount of noise after
installation. I know a couple of local installers that won't touch any
other brand because of the difficulties they've had in the past with other
aftermarket gears.

A little whine is not uncommon because of wear and tolerances in the
carrier. Sometimes it goes away, or at least gets quieter, as the gears
wear/break in.

However, something described as a "hum" doesn't sound right to me. The
worst noise should be an almost subliminal high pitch whine. More than that
means it's not shimmed right or something isn't meshing well.

Dan
P49Y83+
Old July 31st 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dudly

"88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in message
> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>
> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> and should be ignored.
>
> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> little cost.
>
> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> annoying.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

I had a rebuilt engine put in, went to solid mounts, new clutch, and they
changed out the oil in the rear end.
And ended up with a lot more drive train noise around 65 to 80 MPH, very
noticeable, in any gear with clutch engaged.
After driving it for a few months, it is gone.
I think the angle of engine to drive shaft was off. (only like 4 degrees or
so total)
If it was just gears, it should not have a resonance 60 to 90 km/hr, should
be noisy proportional to speed, seems like the tires/driveshaft would have
to be involved too.
Let us know what you fine out.

Old July 31st 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Zeke-baby

88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:

> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible
> to 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming
> noise which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly
> louder between 60-90 KM / Hr.
>
> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the
> gears and should be ignored.

Let me guess. If you're cruising at speed with a light throttle,
and then lift your foot off the gas, the noise goes away (or gets
significantly quieter).

Sounds like it wasn't set up properly.

Cheers!

zëkë

--
'65 Fastback 289/4-speed/3.50s
'91 LX Hatchback 5.0/5-speed/3.08s (MIA since Feb'00)
Old July 31st 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

Zeke-baby > wrote in
:

> Sounds like it wasn't set up properly.

Pretty much what everyone in this thread has said.

The best way to go about it is to get a complete used differential/axle
with the ratio you want. Ford rear ends take a very long time to wear out.
The only one I ever had that made any appreciable noise was an 8" that had
over 600,000 miles on it. The 8.8 in my '71 Galaxie has over 240,000 on it,
and is quiet as a mouse.

On the other hand, mechanics who don't understand how to set a rear end up
properly (and they are few and far between now) can cause a lot of trouble
in a heartbeat.

I read over the procedure in my 1969 Chilton's book, and it isn't anything
I would want to tackle.
Old July 31st 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
88 Mustang GT Conv.

On Jul 31, 12:19*am, Zeke-baby >
wrote:
> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>
> > I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible
> > to 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming
> > noise which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly
> > louder between 60-90 KM / Hr.

> > I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the
> > gears and should be ignored.

> Let me guess. *If you're cruising at speed with a light throttle,
> and then lift your foot off the gas, the noise goes away (or gets
> significantly quieter).
>
> Sounds like it wasn't set up properly.
>
> Cheers!
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *zëkë
>
> --
> '65 Fastback 289/4-speed/3.50s
> '91 LX Hatchback 5.0/5-speed/3.08s (MIA since Feb'00)
> '97 GT 4.6/5-speed/3.23s (the winter beater)

This is exactly what happens. The noise is less significant (although
not gone) when the throttle is released.

To answer some other questions. The gears were provided by the
mechanic and I don't know the brand. I'm not a car buff (I like a nice
car but know little about them) and therefore rely heavily on other
people's knowledge experience.

The car is an automatic and I have 2" flowmaster exhaust (which make
enough noise on their own) and the humm overpowers them easily at that
speed range (with the top up or down).

Thanks to everyone, I will contact the mechanic and discuss with him.

Marc
Old July 31st 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:29:27 -0700 (PDT), "88 Mustang GT Conv."
> wrote:

>I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>
>I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>60-90 KM / Hr.
>
>I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>and should be ignored.
>
>Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>
>The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>little cost.
>
>I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>annoying.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Marc

Similar problem. Had the differential checked as a speed shop. Not a
thing wrong with the unit. When they put it back together, no sound.
The only change was the posi lube that gets mixed in. The speed shop
said to only use the Ford posi lube. Have not had a bit of problem
since. Nice and quiet. As I recall, and I can tell you what it calls
for, but they used 2 tubes of the Ford posi lube.
Old July 31st 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Jul 31, 6:54 pm, Spike > wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:29:27 -0700 (PDT), "88 Mustang GT Conv."
>

> > wrote:
> >I'm coming to all of you as the experts.

> >I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> >3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> >which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> >60-90 KM / Hr.

> >I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> >and should be ignored.

> >Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.

> >The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> >work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> >little cost.

> >I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> >annoying.

> >Thanks in advance,
> >Marc

> Similar problem. Had the differential checked as a speed shop. Not a
> thing wrong with the unit. When they put it back together, no sound.
> The only change was the posi lube that gets mixed in. The speed shop
> said to only use the Ford posi lube. Have not had a bit of problem
> since. Nice and quiet. As I recall, and I can tell you what it calls
> for, but they used 2 tubes of the Ford posi lube.

guessing you are talking about the "friction modifier"... helps the
clutches slip when you go around corners... without it they'll chatter
a bit..
Old August 1st 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
> On Jul 31, 12:19 am, Zeke-baby >
> wrote:
>> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>>
>>> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible
>>> to 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming
>>> noise which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly
>>> louder between 60-90 KM / Hr.
>>> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the
>>> gears and should be ignored.

>> Let me guess. If you're cruising at speed with a light throttle,
>> and then lift your foot off the gas, the noise goes away (or gets
>> significantly quieter).
>>
>> Sounds like it wasn't set up properly.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> zëkë
>>
>> --
>> '65 Fastback 289/4-speed/3.50s
>> '91 LX Hatchback 5.0/5-speed/3.08s (MIA since Feb'00)
>> '97 GT 4.6/5-speed/3.23s (the winter beater)

> This is exactly what happens. The noise is less significant (although
> not gone) when the throttle is released.
>
> To answer some other questions. The gears were provided by the
> mechanic and I don't know the brand. I'm not a car buff (I like a nice
> car but know little about them) and therefore rely heavily on other
> people's knowledge experience.
>
> The car is an automatic and I have 2" flowmaster exhaust (which make
> enough noise on their own) and the humm overpowers them easily at that
> speed range (with the top up or down).
>
> Thanks to everyone, I will contact the mechanic and discuss with him.
>
> Marc

I think I'd get another mech to check it, someone recommended by
people from a track. Also 2" exhaust? THe stock Mustang pipes are 2 1/4"
the upgrade is usually 2 1/2 or 3"

--

TEACHER: Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on
talking when people are no longer interested?

HAROLD: A teacher
Old August 1st 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

John S. wrote:
> On Jul 31, 6:54 pm, Spike > wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:29:27 -0700 (PDT), "88 Mustang GT Conv."
>>

>> > wrote:
>>> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>>> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>>> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>>> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>>> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>>> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>>> and should be ignored.
>>> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>>> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>>> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>>> little cost.
>>> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>>> annoying.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Marc

>> Similar problem. Had the differential checked as a speed shop. Not a
>> thing wrong with the unit. When they put it back together, no sound.
>> The only change was the posi lube that gets mixed in. The speed shop
>> said to only use the Ford posi lube. Have not had a bit of problem
>> since. Nice and quiet. As I recall, and I can tell you what it calls
>> for, but they used 2 tubes of the Ford posi lube.

> guessing you are talking about the "friction modifier"... helps the
> clutches slip when you go around corners... without it they'll chatter
> a bit..

"Whale oil" There are synthetics of that stuff now by Amsoil and
Synergyn

Old August 1st 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
88 Mustang GT Conv.

On Jul 31, 7:27*pm, "WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote:
> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>

> > On Jul 31, 12:19 am, Zeke-baby >
> > wrote:

> >> Let me guess. *If you're cruising at speed with a light throttle,
> >> and then lift your foot off the gas, the noise goes away (or gets
> >> significantly quieter).

> >> Sounds like it wasn't set up properly.

> >> Cheers!

> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *zëkë

> >> --
> >> '65 Fastback 289/4-speed/3.50s
> >> '91 LX Hatchback 5.0/5-speed/3.08s (MIA since Feb'00)
> >> '97 GT 4.6/5-speed/3.23s (the winter beater)

> > This is exactly what happens. The noise is less significant (although
> > not gone) when the throttle is released.

> > To answer some other questions. The gears were provided by the
> > mechanic and I don't know the brand. I'm not a car buff (I like a nice
> > car but know little about them) and therefore rely heavily on other
> > people's knowledge experience.

> > The car is an automatic and I have 2" flowmaster exhaust (which make
> > enough noise on their own) and the humm overpowers them easily at that
> > speed range (with the top up or down).

> > Thanks to everyone, I will contact the mechanic and discuss with him.

> > Marc

> * *I think I'd get another mech to check it, someone recommended by
> people from a track. Also 2" exhaust? THe stock Mustang pipes are 2 1/4"
> the upgrade is usually 2 1/2 or 3"
>
> --
>
> TEACHER: Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on
> * * * * * talking when people are no longer interested?
>
> HAROLD: A teacher- Hide quoted text -

Sry...miss typed and didn't verify. I do have 3" pipes

Marc

gear change Paul J. Veres Dodge 0 June 4th 07 01:18 PM
GEAR NOB CHANGE cama via CarKB.com Alfa Romeo 2 March 22nd 06 06:39 PM
gear change over Mr.~G. Ford Mustang 5 September 9th 05 07:39 PM
Rear gear change in '91 5point0 Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 05 03:24 PM
Gear change and Air Con Ballymoney Alfa Romeo 3 October 3rd 04 08:40 AM