Civic Hybrid - problem during the second tank of gaz

Old October 27th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
JBond

Default Civic Hybrid - problem during the second tank of gaz

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has had problems with their Honda Civic 2006 -
08. I bought mine last spring and no sooner had I filled my tank the
second time, the Motor's "Rotor" stopped working.

The result is the engine kicks in directly, and starting the car picks
up from the small ignition battery. Loss of power made it acceleration
difficult. The problem went away and came back again....

It took awhile for the dealership to figure out what the problem was
(codes are different if the offending part is acting normal). They
found the Rotor needed to be changed and this part was a rare item,
needed to go to Japan to get one, and would be 6 weeks before they
received it
The tranney needed to be moved out for access to the rotor. Big job.

Well, it's been working fine since.

So Anyone have a similar problem?

Old November 3rd 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ecarecar

How were you able to discover that he was seeking comfort?
I thought he was seeking information. You are so smart.

Old November 4th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
JBond

On Nov 3, 9:14 am, TomP > wrote:
> What comfort will you derive from knowing if there are others with a
> problem?
>
> Cars are not perfect, that's why they come with a warranty.
>

> JBond wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Was wondering if anyone has had problems with their Honda Civic 2006 -
> > 08. I bought mine last spring and no sooner had I filled my tank the
> > second time, the Motor's "Rotor" stopped working.

> > The result is the engine kicks in directly, and starting the car picks
> > up from the small ignition battery. Loss of power made it acceleration
> > difficult. The problem went away and came back again....

> > It took awhile for the dealership to figure out what the problem was
> > (codes are different if the offending part is acting normal). They
> > found the Rotor needed to be changed and this part was a rare item,
> > needed to go to Japan to get one, and would be 6 weeks before they
> > received it
> > The tranney needed to be moved out for access to the rotor. Big job.

> > Well, it's been working fine since.

> > So Anyone have a similar problem?

> --
> Tp,
>
> -------- __o
> ----- -\<. -------- __o
> --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
> -------------------- ( )/ ( )
>
> No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...- Hide quoted text -

2 reasons:

a) I live in the country, no mass transit, and about a 50$ cab fair to
get to the nearest bus. I have a second car, that I was going to sell
in order to safe on yearly costs. Having no car while I wait for a
warranty part to make it's way over from Japan, over a 6 week period
makes me wonder what happenned to this great company I knew in
previous years. I'll have to adjust myself, by retaining the other
vehicle or something if I know I'm in for alot of maintenance.
(warranties don't last forever). From a financial point of view (and
personal time) I need to plan for the risk.

b) Consumers, in numbers, have strength. We should not encourage poor
workmanship or planning. If many defects are found we should buy the
competitor's product. (Law of competition). I'm not saying that Honda
is substandard, but if the repairs are going to be numerous or time to
fix them unreasonable, then it would affect my next choice of car.
I'm also being asked by friends and family if I'm satisfied as they
are considering a move to a Hybrid. I should add that my decision to
go to a Honda instead of Toyota was because of a high satisfaction
over my 1989 Acura Integra (bought new), which still runs very well,
maintenance inexpensive, and never a major problem. All parts were
always available same day, until very recently, (ofcourse this is,
after all, an 18 year old car! ).

Old November 4th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JBond > wrote:
> in order to safe on yearly costs. Having no car while I wait for a
> warranty part to make it's way over from Japan, over a 6 week period

They didn't give you a loaner while waiting for warranty parts? The fact
that it had to come from Japan might be a clue as to how many are being
replaced. If the dealer had three in stock, that might be a cause for
post-warranty concern.

> maintenance inexpensive, and never a major problem. All parts were
> always available same day, until very recently,

Expected parts are stocked by a dealer. Most anticipated parts are stocked
regionally.

My 2003 Civic Hybrid has 75,000 miles on it. I had an SRS air bag
controller fail at about 2,000 miles. Fixed on the same day I took it in.

I just received notice that the warranty on the CVT transmission has been
extended to 100,000 miles because of some problems that have been occurring
out of warranty, but prematurely by Honda standards.

Old November 5th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Ford?

In article om>,
JBond > wrote:

> I should add that my decision to
> go to a Honda instead of Toyota was because of a high satisfaction
> over my 1989 Acura Integra (bought new), which still runs very well,
> maintenance inexpensive, and never a major problem. All parts were
> always available same day, until very recently, (ofcourse this is,
> after all, an 18 year old car! ).

If I were you I sell the hybrid and keep the oldie, which you say runs
very well.
Why struggle with a new depreciating car that is troublesome?
Old November 5th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
JBond

On Nov 5, 3:25 am, "Ford?" > wrote:
> In article om>,
>
> JBond > wrote:
> > I should add that my decision to
> > go to a Honda instead of Toyota was because of a high satisfaction
> > over my 1989 Acura Integra (bought new), which still runs very well,
> > maintenance inexpensive, and never a major problem. All parts were
> > always available same day, until very recently, (ofcourse this is,
> > after all, an 18 year old car! ).

> If I were you I sell the hybrid and keep the oldie, which you say runs
> very well.
> Why struggle with a new depreciating car that is troublesome?

One repair does not make a trend. Today, I have another 8000Km (5000
miles for you americans) since the repair.
Stricter emission laws in Ontario with a bar they keep raising every 2
years, is about to bring me to expensive repairs on the "oldie".
Parts are getting more difficult to obtain. No air bags of any kind.
And lots of deer that I've managed to (luckily avoid, and skirt) on
the dark roads of the countyside.
Again, I just have to plan for the POSSIBLE additional expense as a
result of the new car.

Old November 5th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
JBond

On Nov 4, 1:13 pm, wrote:
> JBond > wrote:
> > in order to safe on yearly costs. Having no car while I wait for a
> > warranty part to make it's way over from Japan, over a 6 week period

> They didn't give you a loaner while waiting for warranty parts? The fact
> that it had to come from Japan might be a clue as to how many are being
> replaced. If the dealer had three in stock, that might be a cause for
> post-warranty concern.
>
> > maintenance inexpensive, and never a major problem. All parts were
> > always available same day, until very recently,

> Expected parts are stocked by a dealer. Most anticipated parts are stocked
> regionally.
>
> My 2003 Civic Hybrid has 75,000 miles on it. I had an SRS air bag
> controller fail at about 2,000 miles. Fixed on the same day I took it in.
>
> I just received notice that the warranty on the CVT transmission has been
> extended to 100,000 miles because of some problems that have been occurring
> out of warranty, but prematurely by Honda standards.
>
> --
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: 38.8,-122.5

> They didn't give you a loaner while waiting for warranty parts? The fact
> that it had to come from Japan might be a clue as to how many are being
> replaced. If the dealer had three in stock, that might be a cause for
> post-warranty concern.

Yes, they directed me to an arranged rental place down the road. I was
still on the hook for additional insurance costs, and I received a
smaller less desirable vehicle. Honda Canada was not very courteous
when I spoke with them, saying that they were not prepared nor believe
they should be prepared to stock enough parts and that 6 week waits
are normal Auto industry standards for some "unusual parts". What I
don't understand is why it takes 6 weeks to bring it in from Japan. We
are afterall in a global economy, and transportation of goods can be
accomodated in far faster time frames from any industrialized nation.
Perhaps you are right. A shortage of this part due to increased
failures, and thus they had to pour a new cast. (must be a third
party).

Thanks for your experiences with the 2003 and the CVT warranty
extension. Are you in the States? Warranties are different between
our two countries.

Old November 5th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JBond > wrote:
> Again, I just have to plan for the POSSIBLE additional expense as a
> result of the new car.

That cost needs to be factored in to owning any car, not just the Honda
Civic Hybrid. I would think that waiting for repairs, one day at a time
on the old car on a regular basis, would exceed the out of service time on
any newer car.

The likelihood of needing a rental for more than a few days, or that Honda
wouldn't provide a loaner, is slim enough that not worrying about it, and
renting a car when needed, seems to be the best option.

Needing to keep a second car on hand, just for the cost of insurance,
should exceed the rentals.

Old November 5th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JBond > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 1:13 pm, wrote:
> > They didn't give you a loaner while waiting for warranty parts? The fact

> Yes, they directed me to an arranged rental place down the road. I was
> still on the hook for additional insurance costs, and I received a
> smaller less desirable vehicle.

No one should elect the additional insurance when in their home state. You
already have the level of insurance that you have chosen, driving a rental
should make no difference. What expense do you think you would be avoiding
by keeping an old car on hand in case you need a rental again? I presume
the insurance on the standby car would exceed the additional insurance you
picked up on the rental.

> they should be prepared to stock enough parts and that 6 week waits
> are normal Auto industry standards for some "unusual parts".

That would be correct.

> Perhaps you are right. A shortage of this part due to increased
> failures, and thus they had to pour a new cast. (must be a third
> party).

Oh, man that's a stretch. Don't allude any portion of that thought to me.
I said they didn't stock that bizarre part, for which they predicted no
failures, in this country.

Old November 6th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
JBond

On Nov 5, 8:35 am, wrote:
> JBond > wrote:
> > On Nov 4, 1:13 pm, wrote:
> > > They didn't give you a loaner while waiting for warranty parts? The fact

> > Yes, they directed me to an arranged rental place down the road. I was
> > still on the hook for additional insurance costs, and I received a
> > smaller less desirable vehicle.

> No one should elect the additional insurance when in their home state. You
> already have the level of insurance that you have chosen, driving a rental
> should make no difference. What expense do you think you would be avoiding
> by keeping an old car on hand in case you need a rental again? I presume
> the insurance on the standby car would exceed the additional insurance you
> picked up on the rental.
>
> > they should be prepared to stock enough parts and that 6 week waits
> > are normal Auto industry standards for some "unusual parts".

> That would be correct.
>
> > Perhaps you are right. A shortage of this part due to increased
> > failures, and thus they had to pour a new cast. (must be a third
> > party).

> Oh, man that's a stretch. Don't allude any portion of that thought to me.
> I said they didn't stock that bizarre part, for which they predicted no
> failures, in this country.
>
> --
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: 38.8,-122.5

Thanks, Clarence, for your views.
The new car is still running well.
The oldie has one way insurance as it is obviously worthless at book
value.
And you can only drive one car at a time, so premium is not too bad.
The real expense is my Province's (Canadian state) strict and getting
stricter anti-pollution laws that they are incrementally raising the
bar on all older cars. It encourages us to dump the older car and buy
a more efficient less polluting one by forcing extra repairs to
improve the emmisions to a better level than it was designed to do.
This would be the eventual outcome if I hold it longer. Too bad
because I really took care of it, and it could easily last another 18
years.
Will it go to someone else? Not likely as there is a glut of used cars
on the market.
I know your California laws are stricter than ours. But my thought is
that the State goes after the auto makers rather than the owners. You
can educate me on your rules if you feel like it.
Cheers,
James

Civic Hybrid Coupe? Samson Honda 8 January 28th 07 06:49 AM
2005 Civic Hybrid -- A/C problem? Andy Honda 9 June 9th 05 03:50 PM
Civic Hybrid starting dxmah Honda 3 March 17th 05 06:26 PM
MPG of Civic Hybrid SoCalMike Honda 7 December 27th 04 07:32 PM
Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 04:38 PM