44,000 DEATHS On Our Highways: And Nobody Cares!

Old December 28th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.politics.conservative,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Frank from Deeetroit

Default 44,000 DEATHS On Our Highways: And Nobody Cares!

Your tinfoil hat is too tight.

oups.com...

Old December 28th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.politics.conservative,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Frank from Deeetroit

Default 44,000 DEATHS On Our Highways: DAMN good news!

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message

>> The writer is a professor of political science at Fairleigh Dickinson
>> University and executive director of PublicMind, a public opinion
>> research group there.
>>

> No... the writer is an indoctrinator at fairly dickwad u and executive
> dick at.....
>
> AND the OP is a hack!
>
> The ONLY thing worse than a liar is an ASSHOLE that twists statistics to
> his agenda:
> "Road fatalities in the US fell from 52627 in 1970 to 42116 yearly while
> in the same period road fatalities in Germany fell from 21000 to 6949 per
> year. ..."
>
> Sounds BAD, huh... even though there's probably been a 3 or 4X increase
> in vehicle miles traveled...
>
> Still the death rate is FAR lower than it was 40 years ago. And it's
> ONLY where miles traveled/driven is ignored that the US looks bad.
>
> Here's the facts:
>
> DEATHS PER 100 MILLION VEHICLE-MILES
> (1) Sweden 1.2
> (2) United Kingdom 1.4
> (3) Finland 1.5
> (4) United States 1.7
> (5) Netherlands 1.8
> (6) Denmark 2.0
>
> (9) Germany 2.5
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!

The numbers are more impressive considering how much the US population has
increased over the past 40 years.

Old December 28th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.politics.conservative,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Mike Hunter

The 'problem' is in the various states we allow people that do not know how
to drive, to teach others how to drive. Every driver should have to pass a
competent defensive driver training school test before being allowed on the
highways and byways. They generally cost a $1,000 or more but one will save
one many times the cost of the school in lower insurance rates. I sent all
of my children and grandchildren to the Bob Bondurant driving schools at
major raceways, at a cost of around $2,000. None of them to date has ever
been charged with a moving violation or ever been involved in a fender
bender, let alone had a serious accident..

Speed is always the fall guy for accidents but the fact is the vast majority
of accidents happen at around 35 MPH or less. The cause is generally driver
inattention or incompetence and THAT can be corrected or improved
drastically if we want to do so.

Truckers are fall guys as well. Drive any major highway at 3 PM then drive
the same highway at 3 AM when the traffic is mostly trucks and you will be
amazed at the difference than when it was filled with cars. I always travel
at night when driving great distances, for that reason.

mike
..

oups.com...

Old December 28th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.politics.conservative,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Bill Dunkinfield

Mike Hunter wrote:

> [...]
> > industrial unions, truckers, consumers, taxpayers -- though all are
> > potential victims themselves. The public is not to blame. It is hemmed
> > in on every side by mind-numbing advertising and shouted stories of the
> > moment. Apparently no medium is willing to bludgeon people -- as they
> > need to be -- with statistics and trends on the dangers facing them
> > every time they set out in their automobiles.
> >
> > Only if there is a public outcry will this situation get the attention
> > due it. Only when people fully realize the absurd and avoidable costs
> > of the dangers that stalk them on the road -- and then demand
> > governmental action in the form of forceful intervention and strict
> > regulation -- will this become the story of the year, as it should be.
> >
> > The writer is a professor of political science at Fairleigh Dickinson
> > University and executive director of PublicMind, a public opinion

The things I learned in driver training in high school have saved my
life many times.

JAM
Old December 28th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.politics.conservative,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Backyard Mechanic

Bill Dunkinfield > wrote:

> Mike Hunter wrote:
>>
>> The 'problem' is in the various states we allow people that do not
>> know how to drive, to teach others how to drive. Every driver should
>> have to pass a competent defensive driver training school test before
>> being allowed on the highways and byways.

> The things I learned in driver training in high school have saved my
> life many times.
>
> JAM

Good for you... but I cant say the same... the things i learned by
pushing cars to the limit, on snowy parking lots and gravel roads and in
farm fields have saved my life several times.

Not to mention visualizing 'WHAT IF'.. over and over.

The LAST thing that saved my life... and probably some others was when a
cat goes across 2 lanes of the freeway bounces off guardrail, and back
into your lane, hit the brakes and DO NOT SWERVE.
Knocked the other back off the road and mine didnt swerve into the other
side guardrail until the semi that was on my blindside had passed me.

They dont teach that in most drivers ed... or they didnt use to

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old December 28th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
rmac

"actionmax" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> yes 44,000 die in car crashes, but people take a LOT of car rides. We
> should be more worried about smoking related deaths, which kill about
> 10 times as many.

I knew someone would bring up the smoking thing. Someone always
does. Makes them feel morally superior to their inferior brethern who
smoke.
Can you show any stats that proves 440,000 people die of smoking?
I don't mean some statistics by a scientist who is in need of funds
for his research project. I mean cases that it can be proven that
the person died because the person smoked. How many people
who never smoked die of lung and throat cancer each year?
(No, I do not smoke).

Old December 28th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Mike Hunter

The magic of statistics. We all know old guys that smoke, I'm eighty and I
know lots of them... If we relied on statistics, milk would be the common
causal link to every baby the died of SIDS. If they know what causes cancer
why have they not found a cure as they did for all the other known killers?
Next thing you know global warning will be the cause, to keep the funding
coming. LOL

mike

Old December 29th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
websurfer

"Bill Dunkinfield" > wrote in message
> Stormin Mormon wrote:
>>
>> A call for more regulation? Yep, that's manure. Liberal
>> droppings.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Christopher A. Young
>> You can't shout down a troll.
>> You have to starve them.
>> .
>>
>> "TBone" > wrote in message
>> > What a complete load of ****.
>> >
>> > --

> Inspect the drivers not the vehicles.
>
> Many of my fellow drivers do not know how to make a left turn. Many do
> not know what that line in the middle of the road is for. Something has
> to be done about people talking on the phone and watching videos while
> driving.
>
> JAM

A friend of mine once said "Ya can't fix STUPID !" and that's so true
when it comes to stupid drivers.

Old December 29th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Fuller Rath

"Mike Hunter" > wrote in message ...
: The 'problem' is in the various states we allow people that do not know how
: to drive, to teach others how to drive. Every driver should have to pass a
: competent defensive driver training school test before being allowed on the
: highways and byways. They generally cost a $1,000 or more but one will save
: one many times the cost of the school in lower insurance rates. I sent all
: of my children and grandchildren to the Bob Bondurant driving schools at
: major raceways, at a cost of around $2,000. None of them to date has ever
: been charged with a moving violation or ever been involved in a fender
: bender, let alone had a serious accident..

The other problem is that we never (or rarely) test again after the initial license is given.

Old December 29th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,soc.culture.usa,alt.autos.ford,alt.politics.conservative,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
George[_12_]

"Stormin Mormon" > wrote in message
> But, he can't help you unless you call your legislator and demand
> immediate and forceful regulation!
>
> Liberals make me sick.
>
> --

Take a pill, norm. You'll feel better afterwards.

George