Noisy in cold weather for short time

Old December 2nd 04, 10:55 PM
Graham

Default Noisy in cold weather for short time

Two years ago, the then nearly five year-old belts on my E36
would be pretty noisy on cold mornings, for a few minutes. The belts
still looked pretty good, but I replaced them with new ones 1½ years
ago. Last winter, no noise on cold mornings, but this year, the noise
is back. These belts are only 18 months old and have probably only
about 15K miles on them. These things shouldn't be whining already
should they? They still look practically brand new.

--
Graham
Old December 3rd 04, 03:09 AM
Tony

If you used belts from the local car parts store then you will have these
problems. I have heard that the belt cross section on European belts are a bit
different from ours and the difference causes these problems.

I am basing this on what I hear often on the Audiworld forms.

They recommend buying from your friendly audi stealer.

Tony

Old December 3rd 04, 09:02 AM

I recommend you readjust the belt tension. They stretch reguardless
of who made them or what engine they're on.

Old December 3rd 04, 10:05 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
> wrote:
> I recommend you readjust the belt tension. They stretch reguardless
> of who made them or what engine they're on.

Isn't this automatic? It is on my older E39.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 3rd 04, 02:03 PM
Refinish_King1

This might due to:

An idler pulley or a water pump bearing's grease drying up. I've found the
same problem on many cars, and localized it to the idler pulley in most
cases but, the water pump in some cases.

The new belt just ran the bearing at a higher pre-load and got the grease
moving a bit.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Old December 3rd 04, 03:32 PM
Matt O'Toole

Graham wrote:

> Two years ago, the then nearly five year-old belts on my E36
> would be pretty noisy on cold mornings, for a few minutes. The belts
> still looked pretty good, but I replaced them with new ones 1½ years
> ago. Last winter, no noise on cold mornings, but this year, the noise
> is back. These belts are only 18 months old and have probably only
> about 15K miles on them. These things shouldn't be whining already
> should they? They still look practically brand new.

Check your alternator mounting bushings. They've probably deteriorated by now.
You'll keep chasing loose belts until you replace them.

If you do it yourself, the polyurethane replacements are far easier to press in,
and work just as well as the rubber.

Matt O.

Old December 3rd 04, 04:46 PM
Refinish_King1

The belt tensioners have bearings in them:

I'd advise to take the belt off at night, then spin the tensioners, water
pump, A/C pulley and water pump in the morning when it's cold. That will
isolate the noisy component.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

om...

Old December 6th 04, 01:57 PM
Ted Johnson

>There is no belt tension "adjustment" on BMW E36 engines. There are
>automatic belt tensioners for both the Alternator-Waterpump-Power
>steering belt and also the AC belt.

How do these automatic belt tensioners know how much tension to apply?
Is there a spring? If so, isn't it possible for it to fatigue?

Thanks in advance.
-Ted