Cross rotation of wheels

Old March 23rd 21, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Robin Goodfellow

Default Cross rotation of wheels

Ever since I ditched Chrysler/Dodge in the 70s I've had Japanese sedans.
They don't require fancy tires and they allow cross rotation patterns.

Every change of seasons I rotate alternating between X & H patterns if the
spare isn't useful or just the typical modified X rotation with the spare.

That means radial tires are going on both sides of the vehicle where I do
about 12K (pre Covid) miles per year with a mix of about 80:20 percent
more local and less highway miles.

I've read you shouldn't rotate across the midline but I've had no issues.

Have you?
Old March 23rd 21, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> Ever since I ditched Chrysler/Dodge in the 70s I've had Japanese sedans.
> They don't require fancy tires and they allow cross rotation patterns.
>
> Every change of seasons I rotate alternating between X & H patterns if the
> spare isn't useful or just the typical modified X rotation with the spare.
>
> That means radial tires are going on both sides of the vehicle where I do
> about 12K (pre Covid) miles per year with a mix of about 80:20 percent
> more local and less highway miles.
>
> I've read you shouldn't rotate across the midline but I've had no issues.
>
> Have you?

No issues with cross or modified cross as long as the tires are the same
sizes and are not directional tread, been that way on all cars/trucks
for a long time.

The issue with the direction change was in early tires where the cords
would shift and could cause issues in them if that direction changed.
That hasn't been the case in modern tire construction for decades.

--
Steve W.
Old March 24th 21, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> Ever since I ditched Chrysler/Dodge in the 70s I've had Japanese sedans.
> They don't require fancy tires and they allow cross rotation patterns.
>
> Every change of seasons I rotate alternating between X & H patterns if the
> spare isn't useful or just the typical modified X rotation with the spare.
>
> That means radial tires are going on both sides of the vehicle where I do
> about 12K (pre Covid) miles per year with a mix of about 80:20 percent
> more local and less highway miles.
>
> I've read you shouldn't rotate across the midline but I've had no issues.
>
> Have you?

I don't use directional tires.
Where I put the tires depends on their wear patterns.
They could end up on any of the 4 places.
Old March 24th 21, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
> Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>> Ever since I ditched Chrysler/Dodge in the 70s I've had Japanese sedans.
>> They don't require fancy tires and they allow cross rotation patterns.
>>
>> Every change of seasons I rotate alternating between X & H patterns if the
>> spare isn't useful or just the typical modified X rotation with the spare.
>>
>> That means radial tires are going on both sides of the vehicle where I do
>> about 12K (pre Covid) miles per year with a mix of about 80:20 percent
>> more local and less highway miles.
>>
>> I've read you shouldn't rotate across the midline but I've had no issues.
>>
>> Have you?

> I don't use directional tires.
> Where I put the tires depends on their wear patterns.
> They could end up on any of the 4 places.

Least worn tyre to the near side front, always, unless scribed off on the
side beyond redemption.

Tire rotation [email protected] Technology 3 January 19th 07 12:48 AM
Tire Rotation Billy Ray Jeep 68 September 9th 05 09:10 PM
Tire Rotation R B S Saturn 6 July 1st 05 04:10 AM
Tire Rotation? Seahag Jeep 14 June 29th 05 04:55 PM
An aside on tire rotation [email protected] Jeep 1 June 20th 05 12:04 PM