C3 body (and frame) on a C5 drivetrain?

Old August 24th 05, 08:54 PM
Oscar Erickson

Default C3 body (and frame) on a C5 drivetrain?

Hi,

Do you know of anybody that has modified a C3 frame to fit a full C5
drivetrain? I figure I have two options, chop 4.5 inches out of the
torque tube on the C5 or put the frame on as-is and cut the wheel wells
on the C3 body to extend them. Oh, the third option is to skip it
because it's not realistic.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance,
Oscar
Old August 26th 05, 11:23 PM
RicSeyler

I know you can buy frames completely ready to go with all components
from C4's
for C2's but I don't know of seeing any frames C2-C3 with C5 component
locations...
I'd imagine the transaxle/torque tube might not fit under floor & the
rear on a C2-C3.
Dunno, but a good question :-)

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old August 26th 05, 11:47 PM
Crabs

RicSeyler wrote:

> I know you can buy frames completely ready to go with all components
> from C4's
> for C2's but I don't know of seeing any frames C2-C3 with C5 component
> locations...
> I'd imagine the transaxle/torque tube might not fit under floor & the
> rear on a C2-C3.
> Dunno, but a good question :-)
>

> Oscar Erickson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know of anybody that has modified a C3 frame to fit a full C5
>> drivetrain? I figure I have two options, chop 4.5 inches out of the
>> torque tube on the C5 or put the frame on as-is and cut the wheel
>> wells on the C3 body to extend them. Oh, the third option is to skip
>> it because it's not realistic.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Oscar

Oscar:

I know that such things exist as I saw at least half a dozen early
vintage C1's & C2's with LS1 or LS2's transplanted under their hoods at
Hot August Nights.
I saw an absolutely perfect 63 split back coupe sitting next to a
beautiful 55 roadster, both with such a setup.
Thought I was going to cry.
IMHO, it makes about as much sense as putting a Ferrari engine in a Pinto.
I know, I know...
Some of you guys will argue that they run better, make more power, are
easier to get parts for, yadda, yadda, yadda...
I just don't agree.
I guess I'm a purist at heart.
If you want a new car, go out and buy one.
Don't "F" up classics!!

Good hunting!

TomC
'90 ZR1
Old August 27th 05, 12:27 AM

I do not know about the frame but "Corvette Country" in Fayetteville
Georgia has done more of this type of stuff than you can imagine.
there work is something that has to be seen to be belived, I do not
impress easily, but I am impressed every time I go in there.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:54:23 -0700, Oscar Erickson

Old August 27th 05, 12:27 PM
Kickstart

> I saw an absolutely perfect 63 split back coupe sitting next to a
> beautiful 55 roadster, both with such a setup.
> IMHO, it makes about as much sense as putting a Ferrari engine in a Pinto.
> I know, I know...
> Some of you guys will argue that they run better, make more power, are
> easier to get parts for, yadda, yadda, yadda...
> TomC

I saw a company selling these conversion frame setups, they run $20-25k
I asked ..... "why would a guy spend $30k (adding a little for labor) to a
$30k car to have a $30k car when he's done ?"
This guy almost went berserk .......said you have a $100k car when your done
blah blah blah , I got a kick out of that one.
Anyway with a little more insight I have found that in some cases of
broken,rusted,damaged beyond repair frames or replica built not original
cars , the frames may have their place.
Butt like you said not on a purists car

kickstart

Old August 27th 05, 03:54 PM
StingRay

"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
>I know you can buy frames completely ready to go with all components from
>C4's for C2's snip

Ric, who carries the C4 frames and components for the C4-C2 swap? Thanks.

By the way, are you still hunkered down for Katrina? I hope all is well.

Old August 27th 05, 04:28 PM
Dad

www.sriiimotorsports.com C2 & C3.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 27th 05, 05:36 PM
Tom in Missouri

The California market is turning prices insane. There are those who buy the
modified Corvettes are unreal prices. As such, others think that is what
they are worth. Look at the Orange County Chopper crap. $50,000 - $75,000
for custom bikes. Insanity. We used to build custom choppers for much, much
less. The thing that differentiates our work from theirs is buyers. They
get buyers with more dollars than sense and buy something because you say it
is worth that much.

The ProStreet Resto cars are getting big bucks in Calif and so many think
that is what they are worth. The problem is there is a big difference in
what something costs and what something is worth. I could charge you $2000
to strip the paint off your Corvette, but that sure would not increase the
value of your car by $2000. In fact, try selling it with the paint stripped
and you'd find "worth" is now much much less.

And the hot rod magazines live for this stuff, so readers think it is
gospel. Never forget the Hot Rod Mag article on the '66 Chevelle all
restored with the L88 454, Muncie M22, Pioneer stereo, Leather interior,
etc. etc. Restored? They didn't know the meaning of the word.

Old August 27th 05, 05:36 PM
Tom in Missouri

My basic feeling has always been this:

Those that survived, preserve.

Those that are special, preserve or restore.

Those that have not or are not, enjoy however you want.

I hate to hear of the 1963 xxxxx that sat in Grandpa's garage since 1978 and
is perfect except for 25 years of dust and dry-rotted tires and someone
decides to tub the rear end and add hydraulics, etc.

There are enough copies of any car out there, if you want to rebuild and
redesign your own car, take the one that needs new fenders or someone had
yanked the engine already or whatever.

And as sacrilegious as it seem on this group, not every old Corvette is
worth restoring. But taking an unrestored survivor with the original engine
and ripping it apart to stick in a 406 or a 502, a C4 or C5 suspension,
well, that just really hurts.

Take the one that has no drivetrain, has the rusted out frame, has the NOM
or no engine.

I have often thought hard about in a few years, finding a '63 Corvette with
the rusted out frame, dropping it on a mid '70s automatic frame, slide a 383
or an old 302 in it, stick in a six speed, and then have a fast, economical
classic daily ride.

Old August 27th 05, 07:18 PM
Oscar Erickson

I didn't mean to touch off an argument about the merits of upgrading
parts versus restoring. The C3 I have had no engine nor various other
parts so in my eyes it's basically a body that needs to be placed on
something. Now I need to decide if it's worth the effort because I'm
really sick of seeing the body hanging from the rafters in my garage.

Yes, in retrospect I should have bought a running C3 (or C5) and been
done with it. Sigh, hindsight.