oil consumption in new 2007 A4 2.0T Quatro

Old May 9th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

Default oil consumption in new 2007 A4 2.0T Quatro

I say 1 quart in 1500 miles in new machine is a bit much.
Dealer says no.

I have 92 Lincoln Mark with 130,000 miles that uses 1/2 quart between
service.3-4K miles
A 2202 Ford Sport Trac with 110,000 miles that uses even less.
And a 1 Ton van worked like a dog that only uses a quart between
changes at 5,000 miles.

My brand new Audi with superior German engineering drinks the stuff
comparably.

Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?

Regards,

MrShade aka Roscoe

Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it
the more people assume you have.
Old May 9th 07, 12:56 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Matt[_4_]

Roscoe P Pendoscoe wrote:
> I say 1 quart in 1500 miles in new machine is a bit much.
> Dealer says no.
>
> I have 92 Lincoln Mark with 130,000 miles that uses 1/2 quart between
> service.3-4K miles
> A 2202 Ford Sport Trac with 110,000 miles that uses even less.
> And a 1 Ton van worked like a dog that only uses a quart between
> changes at 5,000 miles.
>
> My brand new Audi with superior German engineering drinks the stuff
> comparably.
>
> Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?
>
> Regards,
>
> MrShade aka Roscoe
>

> Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it
> the more people assume you have.

I put 12,000 miles on my 2007 2.0TQ and never had any issue. Granted, I
never really checked my oil myself but I for sure never had any issues
with being low on oil.

Presumably if something is out of whack with your turbo, you'd burn more
oil.
Old May 9th 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

"Roscoe P Pendoscoe" > wrote in message
>I say 1 quart in 1500 miles in new machine is a bit much.
> Dealer says no.

Dealer is right. It's possible your consumption could improve after 10000
miles but probably not much. There has always been considerable variability
in Audi oil consumption but I doubt you'd ever see the low consumption you
see in your other cars. Of course, if and when your "external lubrication
system" kicks in, you'll consume even more!

Old May 9th 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Fergus

"Roscoe P Pendoscoe" > wrote in message
>I say 1 quart in 1500 miles in new machine is a bit much.
> Dealer says no.
>
> I have 92 Lincoln Mark with 130,000 miles that uses 1/2 quart between
> service.3-4K miles
> A 2202 Ford Sport Trac with 110,000 miles that uses even less.
> And a 1 Ton van worked like a dog that only uses a quart between
> changes at 5,000 miles.
>
> My brand new Audi with superior German engineering drinks the stuff
> comparably.
>
> Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?
>
> Regards,
>
> MrShade aka Roscoe
>

> Knowledge is like money, the less you talk about it
> the more people assume you have.

normal for a new Audi.............while things bed in.

mine did when new and now does not.

dj
70k A4 2.4 SE

Old May 9th 07, 05:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mick x

Audi A6 3.2 FSI 37K miles 2005 on variable service.

Mine had a service last week at Audi Poole in the UK and did pose this
question.

I was told that due to the extended length between services for the new
engines the oil type goes through the engine quicker. So more spend on oil
but lower servicing costs - I guess.

Mickx

Old May 10th 07, 05:14 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
Roscoe P Pendoscoe > wrote:

> I say 1 quart in 1500 miles in new machine is a bit much.
> Dealer says no.
>
> I have 92 Lincoln Mark with 130,000 miles that uses 1/2 quart between
> service.3-4K miles
> A 2202 Ford Sport Trac with 110,000 miles that uses even less.
> And a 1 Ton van worked like a dog that only uses a quart between
> changes at 5,000 miles.
>
> My brand new Audi with superior German engineering drinks the stuff
> comparably.
>
> Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?
>
> Regards,
>
> MrShade aka Roscoe

My 2007 A3 3.2 didn't use any noticeable amount of oil before its free
5K change. I don't have a turbo, though. 1 quart per 1500 miles sounds
like an engine defect to me. Not only could accidentally run out of
oil, but there's going to be a lot of ash running through your exhaust
system. Hopefully you live in one of those areas where the warranty is
very long on emissions equipment.
Old May 10th 07, 10:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Roscoe P Pendoscoe

On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:14:56 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Roscoe P Pendoscoe > wrote:
>
>> I say 1 quart in 1500 miles in new machine is a bit much.
>> Dealer says no.
>>
>> I have 92 Lincoln Mark with 130,000 miles that uses 1/2 quart between
>> service.3-4K miles
>> A 2202 Ford Sport Trac with 110,000 miles that uses even less.
>> And a 1 Ton van worked like a dog that only uses a quart between
>> changes at 5,000 miles.
>>
>> My brand new Audi with superior German engineering drinks the stuff
>> comparably.
>>
>> Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> MrShade aka Roscoe
>>

>My 2007 A3 3.2 didn't use any noticeable amount of oil before its free
>5K change. I don't have a turbo, though. 1 quart per 1500 miles sounds
>like an engine defect to me. Not only could accidentally run out of
>oil, but there's going to be a lot of ash running through your exhaust
>system. Hopefully you live in one of those areas where the warranty is
>very long on emissions equipment.

I didn't have to check it, an OIL CAN lookng graphic appeared on my
display.

I called the dealer just today as they made no mention of my concern
on my service invoice even though we talked at length about it.

Service advisor told me Audi says that is OK and his hands are tied.

I have a NEW car that I am hauling a quart of oil around in the trunk
in case the darn thing pops up again.

Very sad. Other than that I like the car very much.

Black sooty tailpipes I do not like, nor do like the power that is
passing by the compression rings along with the oil.

I have to wonder whether 00-40W oil has anything to do with it. Dealer
said anything else voids warranty.

Sigh.............

Roscoe aka MrShade

Old May 11th 07, 02:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Peter[_10_]

On Tue, 08 May 2007 18:40:45 -0500, Roscoe P Pendoscoe
> wrote:

>Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?

Take a look at the manual. I don't know what the one for a new car
like yours says, but mine ('02 3.0 litre A4) includes a specific
warning to the effect that these cars can use a lot. Mine's not too
bad at about 0.5 litre/3000 miles, but my brother-in-law has a similar
car (an '02 2.8 litre Passat, which is mechanically the same as an
A4), and his uses a good deal more.

These cars are known to get through a lot of oil.

Peter.
Old May 11th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 11 May 2007 02:04:57 +0100, Peter
> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 May 2007 18:40:45 -0500, Roscoe P Pendoscoe
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone else with Audi oil consumption issues?

>Take a look at the manual. I don't know what the one for a new car
>like yours says, but mine ('02 3.0 litre A4) includes a specific
>warning to the effect that these cars can use a lot. Mine's not too
>bad at about 0.5 litre/3000 miles, but my brother-in-law has a similar
>car (an '02 2.8 litre Passat, which is mechanically the same as an
>A4), and his uses a good deal more.
>
>These cars are known to get through a lot of oil.
>
>Peter.

I've owned an 86 Quantum (Audi running gear), 1990 Audi 200T, 1994 S4,
2000 A6 4.2, and now a 2003 RS6. None of these automobiles burned
oil. Any engine is going to use oil to some degree. However, of all
the Audis I have owned, I seldom had to add oil between changes.
And, yes, some are still "alive". The 1990 is fine and living in NH,
the S4 was totalled by my grandson with 130K on it, the A6 4.2 is
being driven by my son-in-law and now has 100+k on it and still
doesn't use much oil. My other grandson has a 2000 S4 (chipped) and
he says he doesn't use much oil either. So.....

Dave

Old May 11th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

"Roscoe P Pendoscoe" wrote
> I have to wonder whether 00-40W oil has anything to do with it. Dealer
> said anything else voids warranty.

Dealer is BS'ing you. I'm sure there are specific oil requirements
listed in your owner's manual, such as that the oil has to meet the VW
502.00 or 503.01 spec, but there are other oils, not just 0w-40 that
meet these specs. That said, I don't think that using 0w-40 per se is
responsible for your oil consumption.

Pete

1990 V8 Quatro [email protected] Audi 1 December 6th 06 11:15 PM
A6 2.5 TDI Quatro (179 bhp) RAFAL KRAWCZYK Audi 0 January 5th 05 01:07 AM
Allroad or A6 Avant Quatro? TK Audi 5 November 19th 04 06:39 PM
'87 5000 cd Quatro steering wheel re fasten The Bald Ass Prairie Farm Audi 2 August 28th 04 09:20 PM
78 A6 Quatro Side Mirrors won't MOVE. TGS Audi 1 July 16th 04 08:49 PM