GM "TORX" screws for headlights

Old December 26th 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Vern

Default GM "TORX" screws for headlights

Hi,

I'm just ready to replace my first headlight on my C4.

According to the manual I have to remove these apecial screws.

Is that suppoded to come with my tools ?

I have the ratchet wrench for the top and the sockets for removing the
wheels....and a fuse puller.

What's the deal ?

Thanks, Vern

92 LT1 Coupe Black on Black
Old December 26th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Unquestionably Confused

Vern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just ready to replace my first headlight on my C4.
>
> According to the manual I have to remove these apecial screws.
>
> Is that suppoded to come with my tools ?
>
> I have the ratchet wrench for the top and the sockets for removing the
> wheels....and a fuse puller.
>
> What's the deal ?

AFAIK, no one provides the Torx screw driver for headlamp replacement
(well, maybe there's one sitting in the toolkit on a M-B 500 series (as
if the driver of one of those would know what to do with tools<g>)).

Commonly available at most hardware stores, just grab one and throw it
in your tool kit. Might look for one that has the full range of sizes
and magnetic, interchangeable bits.
Old December 27th 07, 04:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Empty3 wrote:
> "Vern" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just ready to replace my first headlight on my C4.
>>
>> According to the manual I have to remove these apecial screws.
>>
>> Is that suppoded to come with my tools ?
>>
>> I have the ratchet wrench for the top and the sockets for removing the
>> wheels....and a fuse puller.
>>
>> What's the deal ?
>>
>> Thanks, Vern
>>
>> 92 LT1 Coupe Black on Black

> Invest in a Torx set, the headlights are not the only place you will need
> them for.
>
> Empty3

When you buy the bits, note that there are two
kinds. The "secure" Torx have a small
depression in the center of the bit which fits
onto a "dimple" in the screw. The regular Torx
screw lacks that dimple.

Life is easier if you keep them separate. For
the headlight job you shouldn't need the
'secure' bits.

If you can, avoid buying Chinese copies. I
picked up a set of Chinese bits and found the
hex shafts were slightly different from either
U.S. or metric measure -- wasted time filing
them down to fit a standard socket.

--
pj
Old December 27th 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Eugene

In a pinch, I've used a small screwdriver to break off the center pin in a
secure torx screw so that a normal torx would work.

--
Eugene Blanchard
Visit my website Hot Rod Kustoms at
Old December 27th 07, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"pj" > wrote in message
---snip some---
> If you can, avoid buying Chinese copies. I picked up a
> set of Chinese bits and found the hex shafts were slightly
> different from either U.S. or metric measure -- wasted
> time filing them down to fit a standard socket.
>
> --
> pj

sure is a lot of crap coming from China !

my2¢
--
'Key
=====

Old December 27th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:57:52 -0800 (PST), Vern >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm just ready to replace my first headlight on my C4.
>
>According to the manual I have to remove these apecial screws.
>
>Is that suppoded to come with my tools ?
>
>I have the ratchet wrench for the top and the sockets for removing the
>wheels....and a fuse puller.
>
>What's the deal ?
>
>Thanks, Vern
>
>92 LT1 Coupe Black on Black

Vern:
No disrespect...
But I honestly have to ask.

Have you ever actually worked on any car? or have you ever changed
the Battery in your 92?

Again this is not meant in a disrespectful way...

BTW I would buy another set of the BF Goodrich tires (had them on my
95) before I went with the Continentals UNLESS the Continentals are
much cheaper...

Bob G.