Help! car eating a lot of oil.

Old May 29th 07, 07:40 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech

Default Help! car eating a lot of oil.

2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.

For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been
eating about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just
checking the oil regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.)
Would this kind of oil consumption be considered borderline 'normal'?
Several months ago, I had the car looked at by an indepedendent
mechanic (Charley's Garage in Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos;
highly recommended by many locals), but he didn't find any problems.
There are no visible oil leaks, no smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
The car passed Colorado emmissions about a year ago (though I don't
know if it would today

This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.

Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from
Denver to New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it
was mostly highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great
surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
- 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a
big jump in oil consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil
at higher speeds/higher rpms?

I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I
wanted to hear your opinions.

TIA

Old May 29th 07, 11:25 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ph@Boy

wrote:
> 2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.
>
> For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been
> eating about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just
> checking the oil regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.)
> Would this kind of oil consumption be considered borderline 'normal'?
> Several months ago, I had the car looked at by an indepedendent
> mechanic (Charley's Garage in Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos;
> highly recommended by many locals), but he didn't find any problems.
> There are no visible oil leaks, no smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
> The car passed Colorado emmissions about a year ago (though I don't
> know if it would today
>
> This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
> pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.
>
> Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from
> Denver to New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it
> was mostly highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great
> surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a
> big jump in oil consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil
> at higher speeds/higher rpms?
>
> I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I
> wanted to hear your opinions.
>
> TIA

Your car is consuming oil at an unusually high rate. Loss is either by
consumption or leakage. Did Charley's inspect the spark plugs, cooling
system, inside of tail pipe, emissions test, inspect the O2 sensors,
ect.? Do you notice any sign of oil where the vehicle is parked? Do you
notice any on the ground after running the car parked at operating
temperature? Adding five quarts in twelve hundred miles is quite a bit
IMHO, there will be a clue somewhere as to where the oil is going.
Old May 29th 07, 11:41 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:40:21 -0700, bubbabubbs wrote:

> 2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.
>
> For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been eating
> about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just checking the oil
> regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.) Would this kind of oil
> consumption be considered borderline 'normal'? Several months ago, I had
> the car looked at by an indepedendent mechanic (Charley's Garage in
> Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos; highly recommended by many
> locals), but he didn't find any problems. There are no visible oil leaks,
> no smoke coming out of the tail pipe. The car passed Colorado emmissions
> about a year ago (though I don't know if it would today
>
> This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
> pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.
>
> Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from Denver to
> New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it was mostly
> highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great surprize and
> frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip - 1Q every 240
> miles, on the average. What could have caused such a big jump in oil
> consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil at higher
> speeds/higher rpms?
>
> I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I wanted
> to hear your opinions.
>
> TIA

Now, most of my experience with Toyotas involves 80's models, but I did
have this happen on three Toyotas.

Check the engine bay and underneath the car for oil spray. What had
happened to three of my Corollas was the oil pan bolts worked loose, and
the engine would spray oil under operating conditions. Carefully check the
torque on the oil pan bolts to see if they are tight enough.

I had an 80 that was using oil at an alarming rate after 80,000 mile, and
this was the culprit. Also an '85 doing the same thing.

Old May 29th 07, 11:59 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
JoeSpareBedroom

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> 2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.
>
> For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been
> eating about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just
> checking the oil regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.)
> Would this kind of oil consumption be considered borderline 'normal'?
> Several months ago, I had the car looked at by an indepedendent
> mechanic (Charley's Garage in Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos;
> highly recommended by many locals), but he didn't find any problems.
> There are no visible oil leaks, no smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
> The car passed Colorado emmissions about a year ago (though I don't
> know if it would today
>
> This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
> pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.
>
> Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from
> Denver to New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it
> was mostly highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great
> surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a
> big jump in oil consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil
> at higher speeds/higher rpms?
>
> I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I
> wanted to hear your opinions.
>
> TIA

That is definitely NOT normal. Take it to another mechanic.

For comparison purposes, I own a 2002 Tacoma, 60k miles. I still have the
first quart of oil I bought when the truck was new. I've used half the
quart. My son's got a '96 Camry with 90k miles. It's used 1/2 quart since he
bought the car, and he's put 15k miles on it. Three Toyotas we've owned in
the past have been similar, in terms of almost zero oil use.

Old May 29th 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Nate[_2_]

bubbabubbs wrote:
> surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a

check oil pressure sending switch, normally a $7 part that sits immediately
by oil filter housing

the o-ring may have failed and would spray oil only at high rpm conditions
but leave no visible residue

Old May 29th 07, 05:27 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech

On May 28, 11:40 pm, wrote:
> 2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.

> quarts of oil during our trip
> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average.

If the inside of the valve cover is coated with soft black deposits,
check PCV. Otherwise it could be valve seals. VW claimed 200 miles a
qt. was normal, until the EPA forced them to issue a recall.

Old May 29th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
mack

"Ph@Boy" > wrote in message
>> 2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.
>>
>> For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been
>> eating about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just
>> checking the oil regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.)
>> Would this kind of oil consumption be considered borderline 'normal'?
>> Several months ago, I had the car looked at by an indepedendent
>> mechanic (Charley's Garage in Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos;
>> highly recommended by many locals), but he didn't find any problems.
>> There are no visible oil leaks, no smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
>> The car passed Colorado emmissions about a year ago (though I don't
>> know if it would today
>>
>> This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
>> pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.
>>
>> Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from
>> Denver to New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it
>> was mostly highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great
>> surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
>> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a
>> big jump in oil consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil
>> at higher speeds/higher rpms?
>>
>> I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I
>> wanted to hear your opinions.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Your car is consuming oil at an unusually high rate. Loss is either by
> consumption or leakage. Did Charley's inspect the spark plugs, cooling
> system, inside of tail pipe, emissions test, inspect the O2 sensors, ect.?
> Do you notice any sign of oil where the vehicle is parked? Do you notice
> any on the ground after running the car parked at operating temperature?
> Adding five quarts in twelve hundred miles is quite a bit IMHO, there will
> be a clue somewhere as to where the oil is going.

Agreed, this is 'way too much oil disappearing, and if it's not coming out
the tailpipe as smoke, it's sure going somewhere....as has been suggested.
An engine that spews it out at high rpm's such as highway driving is
definitely faulty, and a careful examination should reveal where it's going.
Good luck!

Old May 29th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ed White[_1_]

On May 29, 2:40 am, wrote:
> 2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.
>
> For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been
> eating about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just
> checking the oil regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.)
> Would this kind of oil consumption be considered borderline 'normal'?
> Several months ago, I had the car looked at by an indepedendent
> mechanic (Charley's Garage in Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos;
> highly recommended by many locals), but he didn't find any problems.
> There are no visible oil leaks, no smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
> The car passed Colorado emmissions about a year ago (though I don't
> know if it would today
>
> This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
> pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.
>
> Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from
> Denver to New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it
> was mostly highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great
> surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a
> big jump in oil consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil
> at higher speeds/higher rpms?
>
> I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I
> wanted to hear your opinions.
>
> TIA

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Bulletin/Q...al/pdf/g11.pdf
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id8.html

Ed

Old May 30th 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
mred

On May 29, 2:40 am, wrote:
> 2001ToyotaCorollaCE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.
>
> For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been
> eating about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just
> checking the oil regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.)
> Would this kind of oil consumption be considered borderline 'normal'?
> Several months ago, I had the car looked at by an indepedendent
> mechanic (Charley's Garage in Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos;
> highly recommended by many locals), but he didn't find any problems.
> There are no visible oil leaks, no smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
> The car passed Colorado emmissions about a year ago (though I don't
> know if it would today
>
> This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
> pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.
>
> Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from
> Denver to New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it
> was mostly highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great
> surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a
> big jump in oil consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil
> at higher speeds/higher rpms?
>
> I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I
> wanted to hear your opinions.
>
> TIA

Sounds to me like a leak .probably the oil pan gasket , or timing
chain cover.

A quart every 240 miles ? You would be laying down a smoke screen if
it burned that much and prrobably get pulled over for poluting

Ed

Old May 30th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
JoeSpareBedroom

"Ed White" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 29, 2:40 am, wrote:
>> 2001 Toyota Corolla CE, 1.8L, AT, 124,000 miles.
>>
>> For the past two years or so (40 K miles worth), the car has been
>> eating about 1Q of oil every 1 thousand miles. So I've been just
>> checking the oil regurarly, and adding it as necessary (5W-30 dino.)
>> Would this kind of oil consumption be considered borderline 'normal'?
>> Several months ago, I had the car looked at by an indepedendent
>> mechanic (Charley's Garage in Boulder, CO - specializes in Jap autos;
>> highly recommended by many locals), but he didn't find any problems.
>> There are no visible oil leaks, no smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
>> The car passed Colorado emmissions about a year ago (though I don't
>> know if it would today
>>
>> This is my wife's car, she only drives it around the city, and she's a
>> pretty careful and conservative driver. Usual speeds: 30-50mph.
>>
>> Over this past Memorial Day weekend, we went on a road trip from
>> Denver to New Mexico. We did about 1,200 miles in three days, and it
>> was mostly highway driving at freeway speeds - 65-80mph. To my great
>> surprize and frustration, I had to ad 5 quarts of oil during our trip
>> - 1Q every 240 miles, on the average. What could have caused such a
>> big jump in oil consumption? Is it possible that the car eats more oil
>> at higher speeds/higher rpms?
>>
>> I am going to have the car checked by a mechanic this week, but I
>> wanted to hear your opinions.
>>
>> TIA

> http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Bulletin/Q...al/pdf/g11.pdf
> http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id8.html

Interesting writing, but there is no way you can suggest that the OP's
situation is normal. If he was talking about a Dodge mini-van, then maybe.
But not a late model Toyota.