picked up my new BMW

Old September 3rd 06, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

Default picked up my new BMW

Hi all

Its a 94 525i touring auto

Ok its not bad, my first ever auto and i hate it.....but getting used to it,
damn site quicker than my 520i

Im off around Europe in it in about 10 days and i am wondering if there is a
way to switch the way the lights shine, so it points for when i drive on the
other side.

Never driven overseas from UK before but going around E Germany, Poland and
Cz too

Done about 360 miles so far in 3 days since collected it, found out the
washers dont work...i cant hear any motor when i pull on the lever so it
wipes and should squirt water, where would the pump be? i havent got a
manual yet.

here are a few pics of the car before i collected it
http://www.julianhales.co.uk/red_bmw.htm

Would you recomend i take the rad off my 520? i belive its the same engine a
M50 and E34 so and it looks the same.
thanks

Old September 3rd 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Jules wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Its a 94 525i touring auto
>
> Ok its not bad, my first ever auto and i hate it.....but getting used to it,
> damn site quicker than my 520i
>
> Im off around Europe in it in about 10 days and i am wondering if there is a
> way to switch the way the lights shine, so it points for when i drive on the
> other side.

I have never done it, but I have heard that you can apply tape to the
headlight to mash off the upturn on the left that would be a problem
when driving on the right-hand side of the road.

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/askatra...739242,00.html

--
-Fred W
Old September 3rd 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Jules wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Its a 94 525i touring auto
> >
> > Ok its not bad, my first ever auto and i hate it.....but getting used to

it,
> > damn site quicker than my 520i
> >
> > Im off around Europe in it in about 10 days and i am wondering if there

is a
> > way to switch the way the lights shine, so it points for when i drive on

the
> > other side.

> I have never done it, but I have heard that you can apply tape to the
> headlight to mash off the upturn on the left that would be a problem
> when driving on the right-hand side of the road.
>
> http://travel.guardian.co.uk/askatra...739242,00.html
>
> --
> -Fred W

thanks Fred!

Old September 3rd 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

Jules wrote:
> "Fred W" > wrote in message
>> Jules wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Its a 94 525i touring auto
>>>
>>> Ok its not bad, my first ever auto and i hate it.....but getting used to

> it,
>>> damn site quicker than my 520i
>>>
>>> Im off around Europe in it in about 10 days and i am wondering if there

> is a
>>> way to switch the way the lights shine, so it points for when i drive on

> the
>>> other side.

>> I have never done it, but I have heard that you can apply tape to the
>> headlight to mash off the upturn on the left that would be a problem
>> when driving on the right-hand side of the road.
>>
>> http://travel.guardian.co.uk/askatra...739242,00.html
>>
>> --
>> -Fred W

> thanks Fred!

You can't do that with projector headlights. On the E34 you can turn the
rear part of the light after loosening three screws, it should be
mentioned in the manual. Just looking at the rear of the headlight you
should see what I mean. Very easy.

Ulf
Old September 3rd 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> Jules wrote:

> > it,

there
> > is a

on
> > the
> >> I have never done it, but I have heard that you can apply tape to the
> >> headlight to mash off the upturn on the left that would be a problem
> >> when driving on the right-hand side of the road.
> >>
> >> http://travel.guardian.co.uk/askatra...739242,00.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Fred W

> > thanks Fred!

> You can't do that with projector headlights. On the E34 you can turn the
> rear part of the light after loosening three screws, it should be
> mentioned in the manual. Just looking at the rear of the headlight you
> should see what I mean. Very easy.
>

> Ulf

thanks, i will look in daylight tomorrow...i have been through the manual
but i didnt come accross this ,will double check
cheers

Old September 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Ulf wrote:
> Jules wrote:

>> it,

>> is a

>> the

>>> I have never done it, but I have heard that you can apply tape to the
>>> headlight to mash off the upturn on the left that would be a problem
>>> when driving on the right-hand side of the road.
>>>
>>> http://travel.guardian.co.uk/askatra...739242,00.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Fred W

>> thanks Fred!

> You can't do that with projector headlights. On the E34 you can turn the
> rear part of the light after loosening three screws, it should be
> mentioned in the manual. Just looking at the rear of the headlight you
> should see what I mean. Very easy.

Good catch. He didn't mention he had projectors, but I'd bet he does
since it's an E34.

--
-Fred W
Old September 3rd 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jules > wrote:
> Its a 94 525i touring auto

> Ok its not bad, my first ever auto and i hate it.....but getting used to
> it, damn site quicker than my 520i

It's a pretty good auto with virtually no fuel consumption penalty on the
open road - indeed it's quoted as better than the manual.

You'll certainly get to like it in heavy town traffic. ;-)

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 4th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Ulf wrote:
> > Jules wrote:

> >> it,

there

> >> is a

> >> the

> >> thanks Fred!

> > You can't do that with projector headlights. On the E34 you can turn the
> > rear part of the light after loosening three screws, it should be
> > mentioned in the manual. Just looking at the rear of the headlight you
> > should see what I mean. Very easy.
> >

> Good catch. He didn't mention he had projectors, but I'd bet he does
> since it's an E34.
>
> --
> -Fred W

I didnt even know projectors where on a car :-p)

Old September 4th 06, 12:24 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jules

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jules > wrote:
> > Its a 94 525i touring auto

> > Ok its not bad, my first ever auto and i hate it.....but getting used to
> > it, damn site quicker than my 520i

> It's a pretty good auto with virtually no fuel consumption penalty on the
> open road - indeed it's quoted as better than the manual.

I read that too, i seem to be getting about 25...im struggling to get my
foot right, so much harder than a manual.

> You'll certainly get to like it in heavy town traffic. ;-)

Well i use the passenger seat armrest and keep my hand on the stick. my left
hand is pretty bored :-)

Old September 4th 06, 07:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
MJD

Going to Poland, you will need lots of tape.....
you may "loose" your wheels too
specially BMW badge...for sure.
Check your insurance cover for eastern countries.
jerry

"Jules" > wrote in message
o.uk...

> "Fred W" > wrote in message
>> Jules wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > Its a 94 525i touring auto
>> >
>> > Ok its not bad, my first ever auto and i hate it.....but getting used

> it,
>> > damn site quicker than my 520i
>> >
>> > Im off around Europe in it in about 10 days and i am wondering if there

> is a
>> > way to switch the way the lights shine, so it points for when i drive
>> > on

> the
>> > other side.

>> I have never done it, but I have heard that you can apply tape to the
>> headlight to mash off the upturn on the left that would be a problem
>> when driving on the right-hand side of the road.
>>
>> http://travel.guardian.co.uk/askatra...739242,00.html
>>
>> --
>> -Fred W

> thanks Fred!

156 picked up today, well chuffed R D S Alfa Romeo 40 May 11th 06 10:50 PM
Santa brought me Jeep stuff! KJ.Kate Jeep 12 January 9th 06 04:48 PM
Just picked up my new 550 ag BMW 11 December 24th 05 08:37 AM
just picked up a '56 oval project! Briantelope VW air cooled 10 February 9th 05 03:39 PM
My Buddy just picked up his 05 vince garcia Ford Mustang 8 November 19th 04 02:28 PM