Audi A4 1.8 2002 electrical problems!?

Old January 7th 08, 02:07 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
soap4r

Default Audi A4 1.8 2002 electrical problems!?

Hi the

I am hoping someone in the group has experienced the same (or a
similar) problem and can guide me towards possible causes and a
solution. The problem starts when the ignition is turned off but the
key still in the ignition lock. The in-dash display is displaying some
funky stuff and as it's a bit difficult to describe I uploaded a short
clip to youtube

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnTXA_oVvs>

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did check for clogging due to
leaves, etc. near the A columns and even took off the plastic covers
and wiper blades to see if any water had penetrated into the
electronic control unit housing but it was all dry... (it did rain
quite a bit here in the past several days).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Harry.

P.S.: There's nothing wrong with the oil level - I checked.

Old January 7th 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_2_]

soap4r wrote:
> Hi the
>
> I am hoping someone in the group has experienced the same (or a
> similar) problem and can guide me towards possible causes and a
> solution. The problem starts when the ignition is turned off but the
> key still in the ignition lock. The in-dash display is displaying some
> funky stuff and as it's a bit difficult to describe I uploaded a short
> clip to youtube
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnTXA_oVvs>
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did check for clogging due to
> leaves, etc. near the A columns and even took off the plastic covers
> and wiper blades to see if any water had penetrated into the
> electronic control unit housing but it was all dry... (it did rain
> quite a bit here in the past several days).
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Harry.
>
> P.S.: There's nothing wrong with the oil level - I checked.

I think that it is reporting that you have several problems:
- Leaking gas filler cap or a problem with the evaporation control system
- Non functioning auto leveling headlight control
- low on oil or oil pressure

You should get the codes scanned to verify the problems.
Old January 7th 08, 04:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Harry[_5_]

> I think that it is reporting that you have several problems:
> - Leaking gas filler cap or a problem with the evaporation control system
> - Non functioning auto leveling headlight control
> - low on oil or oil pressure
>
> You should get the codes scanned to verify the problems.

All of a sudden and all at the same time!? I find that highly unlikely
- did check the oil level just to make sure and it's perfect. Car
drives just fine otherwise. I am down $ 150.- just to have the codes
scanned - that's what the dealerships here charge :-/ Therefore
looking for additional help and suggestions.

Having had my share of experience with this model I am pretty sure I
am not alone out there who's experienced this symptom.

Thanks, Harry.

Old January 7th 08, 04:56 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

It seems like certain electrical systems are still receiving power with the ign in the off position when they shouldn't.
Will it also act like that if you insert key in ign, turn it on but not start the engine, and turn it off?

I would suspect the ign switch or a relay!

Just not sure though!
--
later,
dave

Old January 7th 08, 07:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Harry[_5_]

On Jan 6, 8:56*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> It seems like certain electrical systems are still receiving power with the ign in the off position when they shouldn't.
> Will it also act like that if you insert key in ign, turn it on but not start the engine, and turn it off?
>
> I would suspect the ign switch or a relay!
>
> Just not sure though!
> --
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)
> 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto

Hi Dave:

no, it doesn't do that if I insert the key and turn ignition on but
don't start the engine - also if I then go back to the zero position
with key (not having the started the engine) I won't see this
behavior, i.e. I must have started the engine and turned it off again
(that error is repeatable every time).

My biggest hope is that someone else had the exact same problem...

Thanks, Harry.
Old January 7th 08, 02:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Wild guessing here.........
Does your A4 have a timer for the turbo?
Does the engine stay running for a few minutes to cool down the turbo?

Old January 7th 08, 03:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Jan 6, 11:01 pm, Harry > wrote:
> > I think that it is reporting that you have several problems:
> > - Leaking gas filler cap or a problem with the evaporation control system
> > - Non functioning auto leveling headlight control
> > - low on oil or oil pressure

> > You should get the codes scanned to verify the problems.

> All of a sudden and all at the same time!? I find that highly unlikely
> - did check the oil level just to make sure and it's perfect. Car
> drives just fine otherwise. I am down $ 150.- just to have the codes
> scanned - that's what the dealerships here charge :-/ Therefore
> looking for additional help and suggestions.
>
> Having had my share of experience with this model I am pretty sure I
> am not alone out there who's experienced this symptom.
>
> Thanks, Harry.

Harry, Autozone stores (and probably some other brands) will scan the
codes for free and give you a nice printout of the results. You really
need to get the codes scanned before doing anything else, that's
really the only way to tell what's happening here.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA
Old January 7th 08, 04:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Harry[_5_]

> Harry, Autozone stores (and probably some other brands) will scan the
> codes for free and give you a nice printout of the results. You really
> need to get the codes scanned before doing anything else, that's
> really the only way to tell what's happening here.
>
> Dan D
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

Hi Dan:

thanks for the tip - I called a local repair station who would be able
to do that but - after explaining the situation - they indicated that
they wouldn't see any codes unless the check engine light was also
on... It's off in my case.

Cheerio, Harry.
Old January 7th 08, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Harry[_5_]

On Jan 7, 6:42*am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> Wild guessing here.........
> Does your A4 have a timer for the turbo? *
> Does the engine stay running for a few minutes to cool down the turbo?

Hi Dave:

no, the engine turns off immediately. Not sure whether I have a
"timer"!?

Cheerio, Harry.
Old January 7th 08, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_2_]

Harry wrote:
> On Jan 7, 6:42 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
>
>> Wild guessing here.........
>> Does your A4 have a timer for the turbo?
>> Does the engine stay running for a few minutes to cool down the turbo?
>>

> Hi Dave:
>
> no, the engine turns off immediately. Not sure whether I have a
> "timer"!?
>
> Cheerio, Harry.

A4 1.8T does not have a turbo timer unless added by the owner.

Your local repair shop is not correct about the codes. The car stored
them even without a CEL. Try another shop that is more familiar with Audis.