K&N Air Filters - Anyone have any comments on these?

Old May 22nd 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default K&N Air Filters - Anyone have any comments on these?

Tegger wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in
> t:
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> jim beam > wrote in
>>> t:

>>> Like the '03 and up SULEV ones.
>>>

>> i looked on majestic's site and see only map sensors - through 06, i4
>> & v6. map is manifold air pressure - not an air mass.
>>

> http://corporate.honda.com/press/art...=2003112035861

ok, i found it - it's in the air filter assembly, not the manifold or
throttle body. kind of hard to believe that maf is more sensitive than
map, but hey.
Old May 24th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred

Okay so what is the verdict? I have a 2005 Accord Ex 4-cyl and its auto. Its
not a SULEV, its only an LEV. Personally I really don't see how having more
free air flow is going to make that much difference and I cant imagine that
it would damage anything, but I'm not a mechanic just a guy who likes
hondas.

Old May 24th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

alfred wrote:
> Okay so what is the verdict? I have a 2005 Accord Ex 4-cyl and its auto. Its
> not a SULEV, its only an LEV. Personally I really don't see how having more
> free air flow is going to make that much difference and I cant imagine that
> it would damage anything, but I'm not a mechanic just a guy who likes
> hondas.

it's not the air-flow, it's the grit-flow that accompanies it. reduced
filter efficacy [marginally] improves airflow. is that what you want?
because that's what you'll get - that's how a k&n filter works.

Old May 24th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred

I'm going to keep this car another 9 and a half months, and I am just
looking for some performance as well as getting a new filter. As long as the
car is going to be okay, I would like to use the K&N filter. I am planning
on the Civic Si at the end of this lease in March 2008. The man at the Auto
Zone who sold me the filter seems to think the filter is a great one and
that I would notice a big improvement.

Old May 24th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 24 May 2007 02:41:47 GMT, alfred > wrote:

>Okay so what is the verdict? I have a 2005 Accord Ex 4-cyl and its auto. Its
>not a SULEV, its only an LEV. Personally I really don't see how having more
>free air flow is going to make that much difference and I cant imagine that
>it would damage anything, but I'm not a mechanic just a guy who likes
>hondas.

The damage is not caused by having a free flowing air filter.
The damage is caused by having an air filter that lets abrasive particles
get past it. Leave it stock; it just isn't worth it.
Old May 24th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

alfred wrote:
> I'm going to keep this car another 9 and a half months, and I am just
> looking for some performance as well as getting a new filter. As long as the
> car is going to be okay, I would like to use the K&N filter. I am planning
> on the Civic Si at the end of this lease in March 2008. The man at the Auto
> Zone who sold me the filter seems to think the filter is a great one and
> that I would notice a big improvement.

er, are you going to declare this when you sell the vehicle???

and you'll notice an improvement with /any/ clean new filter!
seriously, the airflow pressure difference is minuscule. the airborne
particle load is more than double.

Old May 24th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 24 May 2007 03:04:36 GMT, alfred > wrote:

>I'm going to keep this car another 9 and a half months, and I am just
>looking for some performance as well as getting a new filter. As long as the
>car is going to be okay, I would like to use the K&N filter. I am planning
>on the Civic Si at the end of this lease in March 2008. The man at the Auto
>Zone who sold me the filter seems to think the filter is a great one and
>that I would notice a big improvement.

He was lying to you. The improvement is about 2% tops, not enough to
notice.

Old May 24th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

Been running a K&N Filtercharger in my 98 civic since 70000kms. I now have
over 275000kms, and compression is still 190 on all 4 cylinders.

I also drive on a TONNE of gravel.

Old May 24th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

loewent via CarKB.com wrote:
> Been running a K&N Filtercharger in my 98 civic since 70000kms. I now have
> over 275000kms, and compression is still 190 on all 4 cylinders.

the chance of you having identical compression on all 4 at that mileage
is slim to zero. i therefore have a hard time buying the rest of the
story - particularly as particle ingestion/engine wear is a well known
relationship.

Old May 24th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 24 May 2007 03:48:22 GMT, loewent via CarKB.com <u10197@uwe> wrote:

>Been running a K&N Filtercharger in my 98 civic since 70000kms. I now have
>over 275000kms, and compression is still 190 on all 4 cylinders.

>I also drive on a TONNE of gravel.

So
****ing
What?

A statististical sample of one is less than worthless.

"Ah been running on no air filter at all since I pulled the car out of a lake
twenty years ago and I still have perfect compression on all 4 cylinders. "
Makes you want to run out an emulate the idiot, doesn't it!

So what's wrong with the Airhog filters? was: Airhog filters almost free after Fram's rebate Don Byrer Technology 88 December 8th 06 05:59 AM
Comments Please: BryanUT VW air cooled 1 November 7th 06 03:01 PM
Comments on '97 through '02 SL1 & SL2? Bob Shuman Saturn 5 May 23rd 06 05:14 AM
Are cotton air-filters the only type of filters with good air-flow? socraticquest Technology 8 July 6th 05 09:50 PM
X3 comments??? mike BMW 20 December 3rd 04 01:40 AM