K&N Air Filters - Anyone have any comments on these?

Old May 20th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred

Default K&N Air Filters - Anyone have any comments on these?

I just bought a K&N Air Filter for my 2005 Accord EX 4 cyl, and I didnt have
it put in yet, but I am soon when I have the oil and filter changed also. It
was $35.99 but I am told it can increase HP and make the car run alot better
with much better performance and better mpg. There are 33,500 miles on my
car and it was due for an air filter, so I wanted to go with one of the
best.

Also I put an STP fuel system cleaner in the tank, and I was wondering if
anyone had any thoughts on these also? I hear that they treat up to 21
gallons and they are okay to use ever 6 mo or so. I usually use a fuel
injector cleaner, but this is a little new to me.

Old May 20th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

alfred wrote:
> I just bought a K&N Air Filter for my 2005 Accord EX 4 cyl, and I didnt have
> it put in yet, but I am soon when I have the oil and filter changed also. It
> was $35.99 but I am told it can increase HP and make the car run alot better
> with much better performance and better mpg. There are 33,500 miles on my
> car and it was due for an air filter, so I wanted to go with one of the
> best.

don't put it in, just use honda filters. k&n filters let through
significantly more grit than any other filter - this will decrease your
engine life accordingly. they're fine for racers as they don't expect
long engine life anyway, but it's unlikely you'll see much difference in
performance compared with a clean factory filter unless you do extensive
engine work. with factory filtration, you can get 300k+ miles out of
that motor. google is your friend - there's real-life testing reports
out there on filtration performance. there was a link from tegger.com,
but it's broken.

> Also I put an STP fuel system cleaner in the tank, and I was wondering if
> anyone had any thoughts on these also? I hear that they treat up to 21
> gallons and they are okay to use ever 6 mo or so. I usually use a fuel
> injector cleaner, but this is a little new to me.

my, you /are/ susceptible to advertising aren't you! it's just a
solvent/detergent, just like any other fuel component cleaner. use is a
good idea. paying extra for differentiation that doesn't exist is not.
Old May 20th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On Sun, 20 May 2007 04:24:31 GMT, "alfred" > wrote:

>I just bought a K&N Air Filter for my 2005 Accord EX 4 cyl, and I didnt have
>it put in yet, but I am soon when I have the oil and filter changed also. It
>was $35.99 but I am told it can increase HP and make the car run alot better
>with much better performance and better mpg. There are 33,500 miles on my
>car and it was due for an air filter, so I wanted to go with one of the
>best.
>
>Also I put an STP fuel system cleaner in the tank, and I was wondering if
>anyone had any thoughts on these also? I hear that they treat up to 21
>gallons and they are okay to use ever 6 mo or so. I usually use a fuel
>injector cleaner, but this is a little new to me.

Possibly you could go on the K & N site and see that they promise no
increase in HP or MPG for the filter alone, but do for CAI kits.

I had a K & N filter on my truck for ages. Didn't see any increase in
MPG or performance, but on the other hand, did not experience the
negative effects that you would expect if the filter was not working
acceptably as a filter. No excessive ring, cylinder, valve wear
manifested as oil use or compression loss, no seal leakage.

BTW, with regard to warranty, Toyota offers Borla as a factory option
which includes a high flow exhaust and a K & N style filter. It is
badged Borla, but has the same sticker that K & N uses and looks a lot
like a K & N or one of their competing permanent, oil impregnated
filters. I would suspect it is private branded to Borla. I don't
think Toyota would void my warranty because of a factory authorized
options. According to K & N no other manufacture will either. I'm
waiting for non troll evidence that this has been done.

I believe the fuel cleaner is unnecessary if you use a good fuel.
Some have injector cleaners as additives. Chevron/Texaco has techron
in my geographic area.

My $.02 worth

Frank
Old May 20th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"alfred" > wrote in

> I just bought a K&N Air Filter for my 2005 Accord EX 4 cyl, and I
> didnt have it put in yet, but I am soon when I have the oil and filter
> changed also. It was $35.99 but I am told it can increase HP and make
> the car run alot better with much better performance and better mpg.
> There are 33,500 miles on my car and it was due for an air filter, so
> I wanted to go with one of the best.

Then go with OEM.

K&N MIGHT get you one hp or so, but this will come at the cost of
greatly accelerated cylinder bore and ring wear. K&N filters allow quite
a lot more grit to enter the engine along with that extra air.

K&N filters also are susceptible to accidental over-oiling, which can
damage the mass-airflow sensor, a critical part of your emissions
control system.

K&N filters were originally designed for racing, not road use. In racing
you want every fraction of a hp you can wring out of your engine, and
you do not care if the engine is still running past the checkered flag.
Road-car users generally want the exact opposite of that.

> Also I put an STP fuel system cleaner in the tank, and I was wondering
> if anyone had any thoughts on these also? I hear that they treat up to
> 21 gallons and they are okay to use ever 6 mo or so. I usually use a
> fuel injector cleaner, but this is a little new to me.

You do not have to use anything at all, especially in a car that new. By
EPA edict, modern gasolines are chock-full of detergents already.

Now, if the car sits undriven for long periods of time, or is driven for
many very short trips where it never gets up to full operating
temperature, it would be wise to administer a bottle of Chevron Techron
once a month or two.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 20th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> "alfred" > wrote in
>
>> I just bought a K&N Air Filter for my 2005 Accord EX 4 cyl, and I
>> didnt have it put in yet, but I am soon when I have the oil and filter
>> changed also. It was $35.99 but I am told it can increase HP and make
>> the car run alot better with much better performance and better mpg.
>> There are 33,500 miles on my car and it was due for an air filter, so
>> I wanted to go with one of the best.

> Then go with OEM.
>
> K&N MIGHT get you one hp or so, but this will come at the cost of
> greatly accelerated cylinder bore and ring wear. K&N filters allow quite
> a lot more grit to enter the engine along with that extra air.
>
> K&N filters also are susceptible to accidental over-oiling, which can
> damage the mass-airflow sensor, a critical part of your emissions
> control system.

that may be true of other vehicles, but not honda. honda uses pressure
sensors and a programed flow map, not a mass sensor - insensitive to
this kind of issue.

Old May 20th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

jim beam > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:

>> K&N filters also are susceptible to accidental over-oiling, which can
>> damage the mass-airflow sensor, a critical part of your emissions
>> control system.

> that may be true of other vehicles, but not honda. honda uses
> pressure sensors and a programed flow map, not a mass sensor -
> insensitive to this kind of issue.

Some Accords do use MAFs. I ran into this one before so I checked.

Old May 20th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in
> :
>
>> Tegger wrote:

>>> K&N filters also are susceptible to accidental over-oiling, which can
>>> damage the mass-airflow sensor, a critical part of your emissions
>>> control system.

>> that may be true of other vehicles, but not honda. honda uses
>> pressure sensors and a programed flow map, not a mass sensor -
>> insensitive to this kind of issue.

> Some Accords do use MAFs. I ran into this one before so I checked.

which ones?
Old May 20th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> Tegger wrote:
>> jim beam > wrote in
>> :

>>> that may be true of other vehicles, but not honda. honda uses
>>> pressure sensors and a programed flow map, not a mass sensor -
>>> insensitive to this kind of issue.

>> Some Accords do use MAFs. I ran into this one before so I checked.
>>

> which ones?

Like the '03 and up SULEV ones.

Old May 21st 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in
> t:
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> jim beam > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Some Accords do use MAFs. I ran into this one before so I checked.
>>>

>> which ones?
>>

> Like the '03 and up SULEV ones.

i looked on majestic's site and see only map sensors - through 06, i4 &
v6. map is manifold air pressure - not an air mass.
Old May 21st 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

jim beam > wrote in
t:

http://corporate.honda.com/press/art...=2003112035861

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

So what's wrong with the Airhog filters? was: Airhog filters almost free after Fram's rebate Don Byrer Technology 88 December 8th 06 05:59 AM
Comments Please: BryanUT VW air cooled 1 November 7th 06 03:01 PM
Comments on '97 through '02 SL1 & SL2? Bob Shuman Saturn 5 May 23rd 06 05:14 AM
Are cotton air-filters the only type of filters with good air-flow? socraticquest Technology 8 July 6th 05 09:50 PM
X3 comments??? mike BMW 20 December 3rd 04 01:40 AM