C5 / Z06 Question

Old March 7th 08, 10:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

Default C5 / Z06 Question

I recently purchased a white 99 C5 hardtop. The previous owner had
applied Z06 logos on the front fenders just behind the front wheels.
The dealership I bought the car from removed the logos and now I'm left
with residue in the shape of the logo that is impossible to remove -
trust me...impossible. Heat, chemicals, etc...nothing works. It's not
too noticeable, but I sure notice it. I could 'fix' this by putting the
Z06 logos back onto the fenders. Should I? Thanks for your opinions...

FYI - the car has lots of after market Z06 accessories - vent screens,
an intake behind the door, etc, so essentially this is a Z06 body (5.7L
engine)
Old March 8th 08, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Roscoe" > wrote in message
. ..
>I recently purchased a white 99 C5 hardtop. The previous
>owner had applied Z06 logos on the front fenders just
>behind the front wheels. The dealership I bought the car
>from removed the logos and now I'm left with residue in the
>shape of the logo that is impossible to remove - trust
>me...impossible. Heat, chemicals, etc...nothing works.
>It's not too noticeable, but I sure notice it. I could
>'fix' this by putting the Z06 logos back onto the fenders.
>Should I? Thanks for your opinions...
>
> FYI - the car has lots of after market Z06 accessories -
> vent screens, an intake behind the door, etc, so
> essentially this is a Z06 body (5.7L engine)

if its NOT a zo-6 ?
then the logos should NoT be there.
quiet a difference in a xo-6 and a 99.
see a paint shop...

my2¢
--
'Key
=====

Old March 8th 08, 04:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
LotzaLoot

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:12:36 -0500, Roscoe > wrote:

>I recently purchased a white 99 C5 hardtop. The previous owner had
>applied Z06 logos on the front fenders just behind the front wheels.
>The dealership I bought the car from removed the logos and now I'm left
>with residue in the shape of the logo that is impossible to remove -
>trust me...impossible. Heat, chemicals, etc...nothing works. It's not
>too noticeable, but I sure notice it. I could 'fix' this by putting the
>Z06 logos back onto the fenders. Should I? Thanks for your opinions...

You could get these.....

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-41-3010.html
Old March 8th 08, 12:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

It's the same shape - I'm a newbie to Corvettes - what is an LS1?
I'm Googling it, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old March 8th 08, 02:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

The engine type id for the '99. For instance the ZR-1 of the 1990's has
the LT5 while the other corvettes had LT1 or a LT4 in 96's with the 6
speed.

Old March 8th 08, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

Thanks Bob I & LotzaLoot! I'll use LS1 emblems and not feel like I'm
putting bogus emblems on my car. The Wikipedia description of the C5 says:

'The transmission was moved to the rear of the car to form an
integrated, rear-mounted transaxle assembly which was connected to the
all-new LS1 engine.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5

Thanks again guys!!

Old March 8th 08, 04:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Roscoe" > wrote in message
> Thanks Bob I & LotzaLoot! I'll use LS1 emblems and not feel like
> I'm putting bogus emblems on my car. The Wikipedia description of
> the C5 says:
>
> 'The transmission was moved to the rear of the car to form an
> integrated, rear-mounted transaxle assembly which was connected to
> the all-new LS1 engine.'
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5
>
> Thanks again guys!!

Even though it looks easy to put them on over an already existing
pattern you want to be careful, a little off and they will look like
crap. Stretch strips of masking tape between two repeatable points so
you can repeat location both sides, vertically and horizontally. Any
marks required can be put on the tape with a small relief for the oval
to clear. Tape location can be tweaked easily but the emblems won't
move very easy once you stick them on.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 9th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Lawrence Lugar

that's so tacky...buying a C5 Corvette, then applying the Z06's
decals/accessories to make it look like it's something it's not.

not that i have anything against the C5, or C6...but just don't make
something out that's not what it is.

. ..

Old March 9th 08, 12:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roscoe[_2_]

I agree - that's why I solicited opinions here (and thank you for
yours). The previous owner did it- not me. I'll use the LS1 emblem to
cover the marks left as it does have an LS1 engine. This car is
spotless inside & out except the fender marks where the old emblems were
(white paint shows it even more). It was bugging the heck out of me...
Thanks again