AUDI HEADACHES

Old January 12th 08, 03:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default AUDI HEADACHES

Well to defend the OP some seal defects just happen.
I think a new VW EOS, yeah I know that it is not an Audi, but this EOS had water POURING in at the car wash. The techs finally fixed the problem by carefully lubricating this seal with VW's special lube. Again it is a "maintenance item that was not done from the factory!!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3087297

Proper maintenance is quite important to catch small problems before they become large ones.
This is a horror story that hopefully wakes EVERYONE up to check the minor things.

Is there some list with all of the "uncommon" things to address that will hopefully save one from large headaches?

--
later,
dave

"Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message ...
On Jan 11, 2:31 pm, Booker > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 7:52 am, Dano58 > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 10, 1:57 pm, Booker > wrote:

> > > My 2002AudiA-6 3.0 took in a TON of water in a couple severe rain/
> > > wind storms this past summer 2007. I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS
> > > with it since. My brake (re-call taken care of) booster was full of
> > > water and the brakes FROZE on the road on a trip. Prior to that I've
> > > been going around with a mis fire in the cylinder (per my local
> > > mechanic) to the point it misfires so bad it is undriveable. After
> > > the brake deal and after they said my problem was I needed new tires
> > > (which I now have) mycheckenginelightis on again (less than a
> > > week) from the 2nd. tow intoAudi. My belief after much research is
> > > that it is catalytic converter issues. Possibly from WATER as I cannot
> > > stress to you enough HOW MUCH water this car took in - bothengineand
> > > interior of car. I have YET to getAudito direct themselves to the
> > > fact that ALL the problems I have had with the car is since it took in
> > > droves of water. With the amount of money $$$$ this car has cost me
> > > I'm quite upset not to mention it is my only source of transportation
> > > and since summer of 2007 it is not driveable more than it is!!!

> > Yeah, I'm with Pete, I'm not exactly sure what your issue is - you got
> > the car flooded, so that'sAudi'sfault?

> > Dan D
> > '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> > Central NJ USA

> SO YOU ALL TELL ME? A CAR - ANY CAR - CAN'T BE EXPOSED TO RAIN?

Not one person has said that. I know you want to blame Audi, but
really, the problem ultimately is YOUR fault.

Not Audi's.

E.P.
Old January 12th 08, 04:15 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Ed Pirrero

On Jan 11, 7:04 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> Well to defend the OP some seal defects just happen.
> I think a new VW EOS, yeah I know that it is not an Audi, but this EOS had water POURING in at the car wash. The techs finally fixed the problem by carefully lubricating this seal with VW's special lube. Again it is a "maintenance item that was not done from the factory!!http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3087297
>
> Proper maintenance is quite important to catch small problems before they become large ones.
> This is a horror story that hopefully wakes EVERYONE up to check the minor things.
>
> Is there some list with all of the "uncommon" things to address that will hopefully save one from large headaches?

I completely agree that there are weird cases of stuff going wrong.
Stuff that's wierd, or very uncommon, etc.

Cleaning cowl drains is not one of those things. Cowl drains are
common, on many different makes, and have the same problems across all
those makes. Gunk builds up in the drains, blocking them. Water
fills up the cowl tray, then finally spills into the car.

Same with sunroof drains. Plenty of BMW owners have the same
complaint.

E.P.

Old January 12th 08, 05:22 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Black_RS4[_5_]

hey... was this a katrina car?

--
Black_RS4
Black_RS4's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=945

Old January 12th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
No Spam Please

Some VAG products seem to have problems with water intrusion. Passat B5/5.5 had a poor design of the cowl drains/pollen filter seal, which would allow water to accumulate in area between engine compartment and passenger compartment, and then flood passenger compartment. Lowest point (and easily flooded) was comfort control module in floor pan, electronics for locks, etc.

Same model had problems with sunroom drains clogging, which could flood passenger compartment (front or rear) and sometimes leak into headliners on pillars.

When I read the OP's' first post, it sounded like he was posting about water flooding into cowl area, which I have read of before with this model. See this post:

I have the same problem with my Audi A6. In my case, the water allegedly went through the vacuum tube to the brake booster (how H2O can enter a vacuum is beyond me) and got into the engine. Net effect, engine is gone.

The car is under warranty and is still under the audi maintenance program. Despite this, Audi is claiming that the damage is not covered under warranty. Estimated repair bill: over $13,000!

I'd be curious to know if others have experienced this problem with Audis. The service manage acknowledged that Audi has known about this problem for some time. I personally think Audi is trying to avoid a recall and class action suit.

To those of you with Audis, the lesson is to remove the battery and check the drain holes. Or have your dealer do it (as they should).

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/arc...p/t-12789.html

Old January 12th 08, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yep there is some weird stuff that sometimes goes wrong.

I guess when something goes wrong and causes a problem, hopefully a lesson is learned and that problem is not allowed to occur again. ;-)

I had a 1991 Passat Sedan (AKA Money Pit or Moaney Pit) that had water leaks. I thought it was from the front windshield since it would whistle on the highway. It was cracked anyway and time for a new one. That might have solved some of the leakage but water was now POURING IN on the RS and I found it was due to some rust and some failing sealant in the roof seams. I had to remove the old sealant, treat the rust, repaint that area, and reseal with some Polyeurathane (sp). That is some good stuff and I did both roof seams!!!
That stopped the majority of the leak, but then the sealant for the rear windshield lost its seal and another leak developed. I sold the vehicle after patching that area and told the new owner, before purchase, that she needs that rear glass resealed due to water infiltration.
Now maybe when the new windshield was repaired it allowed the Passat body to flex some which in turn allowed the seals to "break", but I will probably never know for sure. <g>
Oh and I almost forgot, it also had some rusty metal around the fresh air box intake that I also had to reseal!!

Also I had just purchased my '97 A4 and got it running before selling the Passat. The previous A4 owner had not cleaned his drains and there was water on the passenger floor before I came out to see/buy it. I showed him how to clean it out and lots of water went through that opened drain. lol
I usually show people the debris blocking their vehicle's drains and hopefully they will clean them out periodically. I will see if that happens. 8^)

BTW the Passat was nice but my A4 is nicer! <BG>

--
later,
dave
"Ed Pirrero" > wrote in message ...

snip

I completely agree that there are weird cases of stuff going wrong.
Stuff that's wierd, or very uncommon, etc.

Cleaning cowl drains is not one of those things. Cowl drains are
common, on many different makes, and have the same problems across all
those makes. Gunk builds up in the drains, blocking them. Water
fills up the cowl tray, then finally spills into the car.

Same with sunroof drains. Plenty of BMW owners have the same
complaint.

Audi Game Event : Show Up, Sign UP, You can Drive away in a New Audi robin123 Audi 0 October 17th 05 09:30 AM
86 headaches 86vette Corvette 9 July 10th 05 04:24 PM
My wife's headaches, ( a real sad story, and a great frustrating mystery) [email protected] Technology 20 May 11th 05 01:17 PM
Save Yourself Some Headaches - Stranded! Busahaulic VW air cooled 2 March 22nd 05 12:53 AM
Audi Quattro at Deutschland Rally and Audi in LMES photos maggy p Audi 0 August 24th 04 03:27 PM