Tire Pressure Q

Old May 30th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charlie Allnut

Default Tire Pressure Q

Just got a new '07 Accord EX-L V6 sedan that came with 17" Michelin Pilot HX
MXM4 tires with specs 217/50 17 93V . The owner's manual and door jamb
sticker call for 32 lbs. front and 29 lbs. rear.

I do mostly around-town driving with some local interstate miles in the
Birmingham, AL area. I've always run 32 pounds of pressure in all four
tires-- and the owner of a local tire place whose advice is usually pretty
solid suggested running 35 lbs all around to offset the poor life expectancy
of these otherwise nice tires.

So what has people's experience been with these tires on this car?

Charlie

Old May 30th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Charlie Allnut wrote:
> Just got a new '07 Accord EX-L V6 sedan that came with 17" Michelin Pilot HX
> MXM4 tires with specs 217/50 17 93V . The owner's manual and door jamb
> sticker call for 32 lbs. front and 29 lbs. rear.
>
> I do mostly around-town driving with some local interstate miles in the
> Birmingham, AL area. I've always run 32 pounds of pressure in all four
> tires-- and the owner of a local tire place whose advice is usually pretty
> solid suggested running 35 lbs all around to offset the poor life expectancy
> of these otherwise nice tires.
>
> So what has people's experience been with these tires on this car?
>
> Charlie

----------------------------------

I'm surprised the sticker is that high. . .. If you don't mind a little
harsher ride, and as long as you check them COLD, and rotate faithfully,
why not save a little gasoline? I run about 32 PSI all around in my
CR-V, but its a different beast. I can't actually comment on that tire,
but I think I saw the Honda bulletin about the (shocking) shoulder wear.

'Curly'
Old May 31st 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charlie Allnut

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Charlie Allnut" <null@null> wrote:
>
>> Just got a new '07 Accord EX-L V6 sedan that came with 17" Michelin Pilot
>> HX
>> MXM4 tires with specs 217/50 17 93V . The owner's manual and door jamb
>> sticker call for 32 lbs. front and 29 lbs. rear.
>>
>> I do mostly around-town driving with some local interstate miles in the
>> Birmingham, AL area. I've always run 32 pounds of pressure in all four
>> tires-- and the owner of a local tire place whose advice is usually
>> pretty
>> solid suggested running 35 lbs all around to offset the poor life
>> expectancy
>> of these otherwise nice tires.

> So the guy who's spitting tobacco on the ground says that Honda
> engineers are full of ****?
>
> And you believe him.

Usually I do when it comes to tires/wheels. He's never given me bum advise.

Not surprising I suppose. When he's not making deposits in the spittoon,
he's depositing his Goodyear pension check at the Redneck National Bank.
Ya' see he's retired now after a 30 year career-- his last position being VP
of Product Development ;-)

Charlie

Old May 31st 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charlie Allnut

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Charlie Allnut" <null@null> wrote:
>
>> > So the guy who's spitting tobacco on the ground says that Honda
>> > engineers are full of ****?
>> >
>> > And you believe him.
>> >

>> Usually I do when it comes to tires/wheels. He's never given me bum
>> advise.
>>
>> Not surprising I suppose. When he's not making deposits in the spittoon,
>> he's depositing his Goodyear pension check at the Redneck National Bank.
>> Ya' see he's retired now after a 30 year career-- his last position being
>> VP
>> of Product Development ;-)

> Which means he's as far away from knowing anything for real as you are.

So to get back to my OP seeking advice on running higher tire pressures than
the door jamb sticker-recommended 32 lbs. front and 29 lbs. rear:

My new '07 Accord EX-L V6 sedan came with 17" Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires
with specs 217/50 17 93V. What if I ran 32 all around, 35 all around?

Old May 31st 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester[_1_]

"Charlie Allnut" wrote

> So to get back to my OP seeking advice on running higher tire pressures
> than the door jamb sticker-recommended 32 lbs. front and 29 lbs. rear:
>
> My new '07 Accord EX-L V6 sedan came with 17" Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires
> with specs 217/50 17 93V. What if I ran 32 all around, 35 all around?

Ideally you should run them at what the door sticker says and re-measure the
tread depth after, oh, maybe 5000 miles. If there's more wear in the middle,
the tire is overinflated. If there's more wear along the sides, it's
underinflated.

Or is it the other way around? ;-)

Tire pressure Terry Driving 3 October 2nd 06 05:36 AM
Tire Pressure for '94 Cobra with tire option 255/45/17 Richard Ford Mustang 5 May 26th 06 07:23 PM
How to set tire pressure. was: Tire Pressure for '94 Cobra... Blue Mesteno Ford Mustang 1 May 21st 06 05:22 AM
Tire Pressure Mike Romain Jeep 11 October 7th 05 12:50 AM
Tire Inflation Positioning Switch (Tire pressure monitoring Florin Covaciu General 0 August 27th 04 07:29 AM