CRX blower motor/resistor

Old May 29th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meathead

Default CRX blower motor/resistor

88 CRX DX. Heater fan blows fine on every speed but #1. 2 thru 4 are
fine. To those who know: Could this be the resistor? (I thought
resistors were an all-or-nothing affair leaving only the highest speed
upon failure.) Or is it the switch? Thanks.

Kevin

Old May 29th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Meathead > wrote in news:1180439174.917970.152500
@q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> 88 CRX DX. Heater fan blows fine on every speed but #1. 2 thru 4 are
> fine. To those who know: Could this be the resistor? (I thought
> resistors were an all-or-nothing affair leaving only the highest speed
> upon failure.) Or is it the switch? Thanks.
>
> Kevin

Which speeds remain depends on which resistor wires break. There is one
coil for each speed (the smaller the coil, the slower the motor runs).

The coil is behind the glove box. Have a peek. If a coil is broken, it will
be abundantly obvious.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 29th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Meathead wrote:
> 88 CRX DX. Heater fan blows fine on every speed but #1. 2 thru 4 are
> fine. To those who know: Could this be the resistor? (I thought
> resistors were an all-or-nothing affair leaving only the highest speed
> upon failure.)

yes, resistor. replace and all will be well.

> Or is it the switch?

unlikely.

Old May 29th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:
> Meathead > wrote in news:1180439174.917970.152500
> @q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>

>>88 CRX DX. Heater fan blows fine on every speed but #1. 2 thru 4 are
>>fine. To those who know: Could this be the resistor? (I thought
>>resistors were an all-or-nothing affair leaving only the highest speed
>>upon failure.) Or is it the switch? Thanks.
>>
>>Kevin
>>

> Which speeds remain depends on which resistor wires break. There is one
> coil for each speed (the smaller the coil, the slower the motor runs).
>
> The coil is behind the glove box. Have a peek. If a coil is broken, it will
> be abundantly obvious.

Would this apply to older Civics as well? I noticed that both, the '82
& '83 low speed settings do not work.

JT
Old May 29th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Tegger wrote:>
> Which speeds remain depends on which resistor wires break. There is one
> coil for each speed (the smaller the coil, the slower the motor runs).

----------------------

I think the largest coil has the highest resistance, and therefore its
for the lowest speed, no?

'Curly'
Old May 29th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>> Meathead > wrote in
>> news:1180439174.917970.152500 @q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>>88 CRX DX. Heater fan blows fine on every speed but #1. 2 thru 4
>>>are fine. To those who know: Could this be the resistor? (I thought
>>>resistors were an all-or-nothing affair leaving only the highest
>>>speed upon failure.) Or is it the switch? Thanks.
>>>
>>>Kevin
>>>

>> Which speeds remain depends on which resistor wires break. There is
>> one coil for each speed (the smaller the coil, the slower the motor
>> runs).
>>
>> The coil is behind the glove box. Have a peek. If a coil is broken,
>> it will be abundantly obvious.
>>

> Would this apply to older Civics as well?

Yep.

> I noticed that both, the
> '82 & '83 low speed settings do not work.

Have a look at it. Bet the coils are broken. They rust out.

Old May 29th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

motsco_ > wrote in news:135oj3gftougb53
@corp.supernews.com:

> Tegger wrote:>
>> Which speeds remain depends on which resistor wires break. There is one
>> coil for each speed (the smaller the coil, the slower the motor runs).
>>

> ----------------------
>
> I think the largest coil has the highest resistance, and therefore its
> for the lowest speed, no?
>
> 'Curly'

The smaller coils have the highest resistance.

The smallest coils control the slow speeds. The smallest coils rust out and
break first. For this reason you lose the lowest speeds first.

Old May 29th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
> :
>

>>Tegger wrote:
>>
>>>Meathead > wrote in
>>>news:1180439174.917970.152500 @q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

>>>Which speeds remain depends on which resistor wires break. There is
>>>one coil for each speed (the smaller the coil, the slower the motor
>>>runs).
>>>
>>>The coil is behind the glove box. Have a peek. If a coil is broken,
>>>it will be abundantly obvious.
>>>

>>Would this apply to older Civics as well?

> Yep.
>

>> I noticed that both, the
>>'82 & '83 low speed settings do not work.
>>

> Have a look at it. Bet the coils are broken. They rust out.

Also, the lowest speed would suffer the most stress. The blower motor
swithch on my old '55 Studebaker works the same way. They get quite warm.

JT

Old May 30th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> motsco_ > wrote in news:135oj3gftougb53
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
>> Tegger wrote:>
>>> Which speeds remain depends on which resistor wires break. There is one
>>> coil for each speed (the smaller the coil, the slower the motor runs).
>>>

>> ----------------------
>>
>> I think the largest coil has the highest resistance, and therefore its
>> for the lowest speed, no?
>>
>> 'Curly'

> The smaller coils have the highest resistance.

correct.

> The smallest coils control the slow speeds. The smallest coils rust out and
> break first. For this reason you lose the lowest speeds first.

indeed.
Old May 30th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Meathead

Winnah winnah chicken dinnah! Yep. It was the resistor alright. In
and out in 2 minutes flat! Man I love old cars. $25 at O'Reilly
shipped in on the late afternoon truck. In hand by 5pm. And yes I
can definitely say the small coil has the highest resistance and
controls the lowest fan speed as the #1 speed on my CRX was out.

Kevin (majoring in Epoxy-based Automotive Reconstruction)