My Daughter just bought a '61

Old August 12th 11, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Papa Homer

Default My Daughter just bought a '61

Howdy Folks,

I have been lurking here off and on for a long time.
My oldest daughter just picked up a cute 61 beetle so I have another VW to
care for.
That makes two to look after. My 2nd oldest has a 69 Ghia.
When they send me some photos, I'll post links to them here.

Shout out to Alex of VWISP West!
You paint and body work still looks great after all these years!

Old August 12th 11, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 8/11/2011 8:03 PM, Papa Homer wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>
> I have been lurking here off and on for a long time.
> My oldest daughter just picked up a cute 61 beetle so I have another VW to
> care for.
> That makes two to look after. My 2nd oldest has a 69 Ghia.
> When they send me some photos, I'll post links to them here.
>
> Shout out to Alex of VWISP West!
> You paint and body work still looks great after all these years!

Howdee

And welcome out of the shadows. It's slow here nowadays, but we can
change that.... post any questions you have, or just to brag about the
new toy

Let's see them pictures.

Jan
Old August 12th 11, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Waldo[_2_]

In article >,
"Papa Homer" > wrote:

> Howdy Folks,
>
> I have been lurking here off and on for a long time.
> My oldest daughter just picked up a cute 61 beetle so I have another VW to
> care for.
> That makes two to look after. My 2nd oldest has a 69 Ghia.
> When they send me some photos, I'll post links to them here.
>
> Shout out to Alex of VWISP West!
> You paint and body work still looks great after all these years!

Ah, the '61. It had the last of the glass taillight lenses. Sweet!
Gonna 12 volt it?
--
Karma, What a concept!
Old August 13th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Papa Homer

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> On 8/11/2011 8:03 PM, Papa Homer wrote:
>> Howdy Folks,
>>
>> I have been lurking here off and on for a long time.
>> My oldest daughter just picked up a cute 61 beetle so I have another VW
>> care for.
>> That makes two to look after. My 2nd oldest has a 69 Ghia.
>> When they send me some photos, I'll post links to them here.
>>
>> Shout out to Alex of VWISP West!
>> You paint and body work still looks great after all these years!
>>

> Howdee
>
> And welcome out of the shadows. It's slow here nowadays, but we can change
> that.... post any questions you have, or just to brag about the new toy
>
> Let's see them pictures.
>
> Jan

Thanks for the reply Jan.
I'm gonna look it over closely this weekend.
Anything that old will need some TLC and I want my daughter to know what is
going on with it.

Old August 13th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Papa Homer

"Waldo" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Papa Homer" > wrote:
>
>> Howdy Folks,
>>
>> I have been lurking here off and on for a long time.
>> My oldest daughter just picked up a cute 61 beetle so I have another VW
>> care for.
>> That makes two to look after. My 2nd oldest has a 69 Ghia.
>> When they send me some photos, I'll post links to them here.
>>
>> Shout out to Alex of VWISP West!
>> You paint and body work still looks great after all these years!

> Ah, the '61. It had the last of the glass taillight lenses. Sweet!
> Gonna 12 volt it?
> --
> Karma, What a concept!

Hey Waldo,

I think the first thing will be to fix the shift knob. it has some kind of a
"T" handle with a pushbutton reverse lockout that came off in my hand the
first time I sat in it. I found a little cable hiding under it and had to
pull on it to get reverse but it is a little frayed and feels prickly. In
fact, If I had my glucose meter with me I could have checked my blood suger
while finding reverse...

I opened the engine lid when she first brought it home for a quick look-see.
I could hear it all the way down the block [ it has a fat muffler off to one
side ]
What was found there?
Dual port heads, dual Webers, 12 Volt Alternator, 009 Distributor, all of
the engine tin in place, and underneath a slight film of oil on the engine
case.
I am assuming that maybe the oil cooler is leaking a bit, but I will roll
under it and have a good look this weekend.
I also need to move the fuel filter back where it belongs.
Why do poeple create fire hazards anyway?
Don't they love their cars?

The car sits very low and has polished alloy wheels and a roof rack.
Kinda Cute... My Granddaughter calls it "The FunCar"

Hope to have some pics soon,

Papa Homer

Old August 13th 11, 11:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
me again

Papa Homer wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> In >,
>> "Papa > wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy Folks,
>>>
>>> I have been lurking here off and on for a long time.
>>> My oldest daughter just picked up a cute 61 beetle so I have another VW
>>> care for.
>>> That makes two to look after. My 2nd oldest has a 69 Ghia.
>>> When they send me some photos, I'll post links to them here.
>>>
>>> Shout out to Alex of VWISP West!
>>> You paint and body work still looks great after all these years!

>> Ah, the '61. It had the last of the glass taillight lenses. Sweet!
>> Gonna 12 volt it?
>> --
>> Karma, What a concept!

> Hey Waldo,
>
> I think the first thing will be to fix the shift knob. it has some kind of a
> "T" handle with a pushbutton reverse lockout that came off in my hand the
> first time I sat in it. I found a little cable hiding under it and had to
> pull on it to get reverse but it is a little frayed and feels prickly. In
> fact, If I had my glucose meter with me I could have checked my blood suger
> while finding reverse...
>
> I opened the engine lid when she first brought it home for a quick look-see.
> I could hear it all the way down the block [ it has a fat muffler off to one
> side ]
> What was found there?
> Dual port heads, dual Webers, 12 Volt Alternator, 009 Distributor, all of
> the engine tin in place, and underneath a slight film of oil on the engine
> case.
> I am assuming that maybe the oil cooler is leaking a bit, but I will roll
> under it and have a good look this weekend.
> I also need to move the fuel filter back where it belongs.
> Why do poeple create fire hazards anyway?
> Don't they love their cars?
>
> The car sits very low and has polished alloy wheels and a roof rack.
> Kinda Cute... My Granddaughter calls it "The FunCar"
>
> Hope to have some pics soon,

For myself, I'd love to see pictures, but sometimes <finicky group members> do not
appreciate binary photos in a non-binary group. What is the consensus here?

Old August 13th 11, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 8/13/2011 6:59 AM, me again wrote:
> Papa Homer wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Ah, the '61. It had the last of the glass taillight lenses. Sweet!
>>> Gonna 12 volt it?
>>> --
>>> Karma, What a concept!

>> Hey Waldo,
>>
>> I think the first thing will be to fix the shift knob. it has some
>> kind of a
>> "T" handle with a pushbutton reverse lockout that came off in my hand the
>> first time I sat in it. I found a little cable hiding under it and had to
>> pull on it to get reverse but it is a little frayed and feels prickly. In
>> fact, If I had my glucose meter with me I could have checked my blood
>> suger
>> while finding reverse...
>>
>> I opened the engine lid when she first brought it home for a quick
>> look-see.
>> I could hear it all the way down the block [ it has a fat muffler off
>> to one
>> side ]
>> What was found there?
>> Dual port heads, dual Webers, 12 Volt Alternator, 009 Distributor, all of
>> the engine tin in place, and underneath a slight film of oil on the
>> engine
>> case.
>> I am assuming that maybe the oil cooler is leaking a bit, but I will roll
>> under it and have a good look this weekend.
>> I also need to move the fuel filter back where it belongs.
>> Why do poeple create fire hazards anyway?
>> Don't they love their cars?
>>
>> The car sits very low and has polished alloy wheels and a roof rack.
>> Kinda Cute... My Granddaughter calls it "The FunCar"
>>
>> Hope to have some pics soon,

> For myself, I'd love to see pictures, but sometimes <finicky group
> members> do not appreciate binary photos in a non-binary group. What is
> the consensus here?

Absolutely NO BINARIES.

Upload the pictures online somewhere like photobucket.com (Free) and
just post a link here.

Jan
Old August 14th 11, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
PapaHomer

<snip>
>> For myself, I'd love to see pictures, but sometimes <finicky group
>> members> do not appreciate binary photos in a non-binary group. What is
>> the consensus here?
>>

> Absolutely NO BINARIES.
>
> Upload the pictures online somewhere like photobucket.com (Free) and just
> post a link here.
>
> Jan

My Band has a website and IIRC, I can park a few pics there and post the
links.
(assuming I can remember how to log into the server and how to spell
"http"...

Kindest regards,
Papa Homer Brinlee
EWI, Flute, Alto and Tenor Sax, WX-5)