Suzuki Vitara fuel injection short

Old March 14th 05, 05:20 PM

Default Suzuki Vitara fuel injection short

Hi, I'm posting from a remote part of Scotland where our 1997 1600cc
Suzuki Vitara JLX has hit a problem with its fuel injection. The engine
just cut out one cold and wet night, stranding my wife miles from home.

We got the Vitara towed back home and all we can find is that the fuse
to the FI keeps blowing as soon as the ignition is turned on. The
engine turns over fine, but of course doesn't start. We unplugged every
lead under the bonnet relating to the fuel system that we could find to
try to isolate a component that might be shorting, but no joy - it just
kept shorting.

Nearest decent garage is 90 miles away - a bit far to tow it.

I just wondered if this may be a problem anyone's had experience of?

Old March 15th 05, 12:25 AM
Jack Daynes

> Hi, I'm posting from a remote part of Scotland where our 1997 1600cc
> Suzuki Vitara JLX has hit a problem with its fuel injection. The engine
> just cut out one cold and wet night, stranding my wife miles from home.
>
> We got the Vitara towed back home and all we can find is that the fuse
> to the FI keeps blowing as soon as the ignition is turned on. The
> engine turns over fine, but of course doesn't start. We unplugged every
> lead under the bonnet relating to the fuel system that we could find to
> try to isolate a component that might be shorting, but no joy - it just
> kept shorting.
>
> Nearest decent garage is 90 miles away - a bit far to tow it.
>

> I just wondered if this may be a problem anyone's had experience of?

When you turn on the key, do you hear the fuel pump?

I have a Suzuki Sidekick (16v FI) in my Samurai.
The ECU will close the relay to the fuel pump for
a couple of seconds before the ignition is
applied. It then switches the pump off if the
starter is not engaged.

If the sequence for the Vitara is similar, and the
fuel pump motor is frozen (locked rotor), it might
lead to a situation that you are describing.

Another test of the pump, might be to apply a 12
volt source directly to the contacts and see if it
pumps.

Perhaps someone else can offer a better test. Good
Luck,

--
-- Jack --
=================================

Old March 15th 05, 12:44 AM
HarryS

If it is not the fuel pump it possibly could be the ignition switch.

--
HarryS My 2¢

Old March 15th 05, 01:22 AM
Pig Sick

Thanks, both. No, Jack, I haven't looked at the fuel pump, but will
now. I was aware that that was one thing I haven't disconnected
(haven't found the little sucker). I don't hear the fuel pump as the
fuse blows on the turn of the key. As you say too, Harry, could be the
ignition but then everything else seems OK with that.
I'll report back when I get a chance to look at it in amongst
everything else that's conspiring against me.