Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156)

Old July 16th 04, 08:04 AM
Steven Spits

Default Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156)

Hi group,

This is a problem my Alfa 156 2.4 JTD (2002) has had for a long time.
Sometimes it is very hard to press the pedal all the way to the floor, and
sometimes it goes very smooth. Like I said, it has been this way a long
time, and it's doesn't seem to harm the car. But it's annoying nevertheless.

Each time I step on the pedal is different, meaning if it's hard now, it can
be smooth again the next time. It seems to be completely random, but there
is one thing that has a impact on this problem: weather! On hot days it is
*much* more noticeable than on cold days.

The problem is at worst when I have to drive in a traffic jam on a hot day.
Once things speed up again it becomes better.

There's one thing I noticed. At first I thought it was a coïncidence, but
after trying again and again, I know there's more to it but I don't see how
it can be related to this problem: when I rev to engine to 4000 r/m and push
the pedal, it's *always* very smooth and it is very likely to stays this way
for a short while.

But in a traffic jam, you can't keep it at 4000 r/m, so, no, this is not
considered a fix :-)

In winter, there is no problem (at least not noticeable).

My car has an automatic airco, which is always set to 20.5 °C. I guess this
rules out any faulty component in the car (like pedal spring, slave
cylinder)?

Steven

- - -

Old July 16th 04, 12:02 PM
Catman

Steven Spits wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> This is a problem my Alfa 156 2.4 JTD (2002) has had for a long time.
> Sometimes it is very hard to press the pedal all the way to the floor, and
> sometimes it goes very smooth. Like I said, it has been this way a long
> time, and it's doesn't seem to harm the car. But it's annoying
> nevertheless.

Rough guess you have a failing seal / cylinder somewhere.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk