Water Pump Replacement - 98 Dakota 5.2L

Old March 3rd 07, 08:07 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Abby Normal[_3_]

Default Water Pump Replacement - 98 Dakota 5.2L

I am about to replace the water pump in my 98 Dakota, 90k miles, 5.2L. I
bought a new OEM pump and gasket, upper and lower hoses, thermostat and
gasket, upper bypass hose, and the metal pipe and "O" ring that pushes into
the left side/top of the pump (my old one looks like it may break if I try
to remove it). Also got 2 gallons of Prestone anti-freeze.

Anything special I need to know before I start this weekend? I made a
wrench to remove the fan clutch and I know all I need to remove is the top
1/2 of the shroud. Are there any secrets to this? I've done this before on
SBC motors but never any of my Dodges.

Anyone know what the water pump to engine block bolts are torqued at?
Also, what are the torque specs for the bolts for the thermostat housing to
intake?

Thank you

Old March 3rd 07, 12:41 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Abby Normal" > wrote in message
> I am about to replace the water pump in my 98 Dakota, 90k miles, 5.2L. I
> bought a new OEM pump and gasket, upper and lower hoses, thermostat and
> gasket, upper bypass hose, and the metal pipe and "O" ring that pushes

into
> the left side/top of the pump (my old one looks like it may break if I try
> to remove it). Also got 2 gallons of Prestone anti-freeze.
>
> Anything special I need to know before I start this weekend? I made a
> wrench to remove the fan clutch and I know all I need to remove is the top
> 1/2 of the shroud. Are there any secrets to this? I've done this before

on
> SBC motors but never any of my Dodges.
>
> Anyone know what the water pump to engine block bolts are torqued at?
> Also, what are the torque specs for the bolts for the thermostat housing

> intake?
>
> Thank you

Thermostat housing 15ft pds/water pump bolts 30 ft pds.
Now would be a good time to replace the timing chain and gears if the
mileage is high.

Just a thought

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 3rd 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Abby Normal[_3_]

I didn't think of that. 90K is high. I have it all tore down and the
dealer parts shop is closed. Besides, I'd much rather have the shop manual
with me for the timing chain and gears. My order is in for the shop manual.
It's not as bad of a job as I thought it would be. I will do the timing
chain next time I get laid off near May/June. I'll have more time then.

As always, thanks for the specs Glenn.

. ..

Old March 3rd 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Abby Normal" > wrote in message
. ..
> I didn't think of that. 90K is high. I have it all tore down and the
> dealer parts shop is closed. Besides, I'd much rather have the shop

manual
> with me for the timing chain and gears. My order is in for the shop

manual.
> It's not as bad of a job as I thought it would be. I will do the timing
> chain next time I get laid off near May/June. I'll have more time then.
>
> As always, thanks for the specs Glenn.
>
> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Abby Normal" > wrote in message
> >> I am about to replace the water pump in my 98 Dakota, 90k miles, 5.2L.

> >> bought a new OEM pump and gasket, upper and lower hoses, thermostat and
> >> gasket, upper bypass hose, and the metal pipe and "O" ring that pushes

> > into
> >> the left side/top of the pump (my old one looks like it may break if I
> >> try
> >> to remove it). Also got 2 gallons of Prestone anti-freeze.
> >>
> >> Anything special I need to know before I start this weekend? I made a
> >> wrench to remove the fan clutch and I know all I need to remove is the
> >> top
> >> 1/2 of the shroud. Are there any secrets to this? I've done this

before
> > on
> >> SBC motors but never any of my Dodges.
> >>
> >> Anyone know what the water pump to engine block bolts are torqued at?
> >> Also, what are the torque specs for the bolts for the thermostat

housing
> >> intake?
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>

> > Thermostat housing 15ft pds/water pump bolts 30 ft pds.
> > Now would be a good time to replace the timing chain and gears if the
> > mileage is high.
> >
> > Just a thought
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

90k isn't nothing, you have a long way to go when the chain needs replacing.
Glad I could help out

Glenn

Old March 4th 07, 02:03 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Abby Normal[_3_]

that it good news. The pump replacement went without issue as with the
thermostat and hoses. Only took about 5-6 hours and I took my time. I put
in new plugs also because when I pulled the old ones last Summer and tweaked
them into spec (they were a little wide) my gas mileage went from 17/18
highway to 15/16 highway. Time will tell.

Thanks again Glenn.

Old March 4th 07, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Abby Normal" > wrote in message
. ..
> that it good news. The pump replacement went without issue as with the
> thermostat and hoses. Only took about 5-6 hours and I took my time. I

put
> in new plugs also because when I pulled the old ones last Summer and

tweaked
> them into spec (they were a little wide) my gas mileage went from 17/18
> highway to 15/16 highway. Time will tell.
>
> Thanks again Glenn.
>
> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Abby Normal" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >> I didn't think of that. 90K is high. I have it all tore down and the
> >> dealer parts shop is closed. Besides, I'd much rather have the shop

> > manual
> >> with me for the timing chain and gears. My order is in for the shop

> > manual.
> >> It's not as bad of a job as I thought it would be. I will do the

timing
> >> chain next time I get laid off near May/June. I'll have more time

then.

> >> As always, thanks for the specs Glenn.
> >>
> >> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >> . ..

5.2L.

pushes

the

> > before

at?

> > housing

> > 90k isn't nothing, you have a long way to go when the chain needs
> > replacing.
> > Glad I could help out
> >
> > Glenn

No problem