check engine light,air bag,no speedometer or tach reading?

Old November 10th 05, 11:05 PM
michael

Default check engine light,air bag,no speedometer or tach reading?

When Driving ocasionally gages go crazy. Starts with air bag light comes
on, then check engine light, then the speedometer and tach goto Zero last
the odometer reading blanks out and then reads no bus? Any suggestions for
Repair?

Old November 10th 05, 11:12 PM
DougW

michael did pass the time by typing:
> When Driving ocasionally gages go crazy. Starts with air bag light comes
> on, then check engine light, then the speedometer and tach goto Zero last
> the odometer reading blanks out and then reads no bus? Any suggestions for
> Repair?

Vehicle? Year?

TJ isn't the dash connector
Other possibilities are loose battery terminals.

--
DougW

Old November 11th 05, 07:17 AM
noneyabusiness

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:12:58 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>michael did pass the time by typing:
>> When Driving ocasionally gages go crazy. Starts with air bag light comes
>> on, then check engine light, then the speedometer and tach goto Zero last
>> the odometer reading blanks out and then reads no bus? Any suggestions for
>> Repair?

>Vehicle? Year?
>
>TJ isn't the dash connector
>Other possibilities are loose battery terminals.

A friend has a 98 TJ with this (or similar) problem.
(His gauges/entire dash will just die and come back spontaneously)
Several attempts (fuses, loose connectors, etc) to repair it have
failed.
Last item suspected is a cold solder joint on the dash's circuit
board.
It remains unrepaired at this time

Old November 11th 05, 02:00 PM
Mike Romain

It is a pretty common defect that should be under recall.

They mis-matched the dash plug and socket for size. I am under the
impression one is metric with the other half standard.

DC does have a replacement plug available but the common fix is to
remove the plug and twist the pins 'slightly' so they fit tighter into
the socket. Or thump the top of the dash....

There is another common one which is under recall for one year and that
is bad dash ground connections.

The left side and right side instrument panel wiring ground attachment
screws could loosen over time. If the left side screw loosens, the
instrument panel gauges may not function when the headlamps are turned
on. If the right side screw loosens, the defroster blower motor may
not function.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 11th 05, 02:51 PM
noneyabusiness

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:00:27 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>It is a pretty common defect that should be under recall.
>
>They mis-matched the dash plug and socket for size. I am under the
>impression one is metric with the other half standard.
>
>DC does have a replacement plug available but the common fix is to
>remove the plug and twist the pins 'slightly' so they fit tighter into
>the socket. Or thump the top of the dash....
>
>There is another common one which is under recall for one year and that
>is bad dash ground connections.
>
>The left side and right side instrument panel wiring ground attachment
>screws could loosen over time. If the left side screw loosens, the
>instrument panel gauges may not function when the headlamps are turned
>on. If the right side screw loosens, the defroster blower motor may
>not function.
>
>Mike
>86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242
>(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

Thanks.
I've passed this on to my friend.

[snip]