P0171 and P0174

Old April 10th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
willie

Default P0171 and P0174

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger - 4.0 L with 67,000 miles. Keep getting the
codes P0170 and P0174 fuel banks too lean. However, engine does not
run rough at all, and no hard starts. Thought that it may be clogged
fuel injectors, but that was not the problem. Now thinking that it
may be sensors. Looking for some suggestions, or a way of determining
the problem. Also, started feeling a steady thump from the front end
while driving. Can feel it slightly in the steering wheel. It does
not seem to speed up with acceleration. Checked the u-joints, and
they seem to be good, a little play but not much. The tires have less
than 8,000 miles, and I am going to have them rotated, balanced, and
aligned. but if that does not help, any suggestions on this problem
as well. I could use any help on these issues and definitely
appreciate your time with your responses.
Thanks.

Old April 10th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Loman Napetos

"willie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 2002 Ford Ranger - 4.0 L with 67,000 miles. Keep getting the
> codes P0170 and P0174 fuel banks too lean. However, engine does not
> run rough at all, and no hard starts. Thought that it may be clogged
> fuel injectors, but that was not the problem. Now thinking that it
> may be sensors. Looking for some suggestions, or a way of determining
> the problem.

change out the fuel filter

read the plugs, whiteish, too lean, there are some good photos on the
internet

>Also, started feeling a steady thump from the front end
> while driving. Can feel it slightly in the steering wheel. It does
> not seem to speed up with acceleration.

It would have to speed up with motor speed or wheel speed.

Steering wheel says it is one of the front tires

Old April 11th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
willie

On Apr 9, 8:57 pm, "Loman Napetos" > wrote:
> "willie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I have a 2002 Ford Ranger - 4.0 L with 67,000 miles. Keep getting the
> > codes P0170 and P0174 fuel banks too lean. However, engine does not
> > run rough at all, and no hard starts. Thought that it may be clogged
> > fuel injectors, but that was not the problem. Now thinking that it
> > may be sensors. Looking for some suggestions, or a way of determining
> > the problem.

> change out the fuel filter
>
> read the plugs, whiteish, too lean, there are some good photos on the
> internet
>
> >Also, started feeling a steady thump from the front end
> > while driving. Can feel it slightly in the steering wheel. It does
> > not seem to speed up with acceleration.

> It would have to speed up with motor speed or wheel speed.
>
> Steering wheel says it is one of the front tires
>
> > Checked the u-joints, and
> > they seem to be good, a little play but not much. The tires have less
> > than 8,000 miles, and I am going to have them rotated, balanced, and
> > aligned. but if that does not help, any suggestions on this problem
> > as well. I could use any help on these issues and definitely
> > appreciate your time with your responses.
> > Thanks.

Thank you very much for the help!!

Old April 20th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
David C. Johnson

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/53...al-thread.html

98 Mazda B4000 and I got the same codes. Replacing the upper intake gaskets
fixed it.

"willie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 2002 Ford Ranger - 4.0 L with 67,000 miles. Keep getting the
> codes P0170 and P0174 fuel banks too lean. However, engine does not
> run rough at all, and no hard starts. Thought that it may be clogged
> fuel injectors, but that was not the problem. Now thinking that it
> may be sensors. Looking for some suggestions, or a way of determining
> the problem. Also, started feeling a steady thump from the front end
> while driving. Can feel it slightly in the steering wheel. It does
> not seem to speed up with acceleration. Checked the u-joints, and
> they seem to be good, a little play but not much. The tires have less
> than 8,000 miles, and I am going to have them rotated, balanced, and
> aligned. but if that does not help, any suggestions on this problem
> as well. I could use any help on these issues and definitely
> appreciate your time with your responses.
> Thanks.

2000 Explorer DTC P0171 Caruso50 Ford Explorer 2 October 19th 06 02:10 PM
P0171 MD Ford Explorer 7 November 4th 05 09:08 PM
1997 Explorer P0171 and 174 trouble codes Larry Ford Explorer 5 October 11th 05 01:18 PM
Check engine light after GM 3.8 recall ( fuel rail / regulator ? ) - Code P0171 [email protected] Technology 1 January 23rd 05 06:27 PM
P0171/P0174 codes L300 V6 rufus Saturn 1 August 16th 04 02:35 AM