Got new wheels, now brakes shudder

Old January 3rd 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Will

Default Got new wheels, now brakes shudder

HI, I got new wheels for my 67 mustang and I am pretty sure they were
put on with a torq stick to prevent overtightening and therefore
warping of the drums, but still when I stop the brakes and brake pedal
shudder to the point where I am scared to drive. Could this be
something else or does this only come from warped drums? Thanks.

Old January 4th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

Will wrote:
> HI, I got new wheels for my 67 mustang and I am pretty sure they were
> put on with a torq stick to prevent overtightening and therefore
> warping of the drums, but still when I stop the brakes and brake pedal
> shudder to the point where I am scared to drive. Could this be
> something else or does this only come from warped drums? Thanks.

More than one time, I went in for tire rotation, and got pulsating
brakes as a bonus, as a result of over-tightened lug nuts. That's not
necessarily what happened to you but that would be my guess.

John

Old January 10th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Will wrote:
> HI, I got new wheels for my 67 mustang and I am pretty sure they were
> put on with a torq stick to prevent overtightening and therefore
> warping of the drums, but still when I stop the brakes and brake pedal
> shudder to the point where I am scared to drive. Could this be
> something else or does this only come from warped drums? Thanks.

Never heard of warped drums. It could happen, I
suppose. But I'v never heard of it.
I would pull the drums off, inspect the brakes, and
then reinstall everything with a torque wrench.
Are the new wheels and tires significantly
differant then the old ones?

--
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Old January 10th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article om>, Will wrote:
> HI, I got new wheels for my 67 mustang and I am pretty sure they were
> put on with a torq stick to prevent overtightening and therefore
> warping of the drums, but still when I stop the brakes and brake pedal
> shudder to the point where I am scared to drive. Could this be
> something else or does this only come from warped drums? Thanks.

Did a drum lose a balance weight in the process?

I had a front wheel off for some reason on my mav years ago. When I went to
put it back on, I bumped it into the balance weight on the drum and
knocked it off. The result was pretty nasty on braking. Lots of vibration.
I replaced the drum and all was fine.

So, I suspect it's one of two things in your case, a missing balance weight
on the drum or the wheels and tires were not properly balanced.