Alfas thirsty?

Old May 21st 04, 08:23 PM
Catman

Carl Farrington wrote:

> Chef! wrote:
>> Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp
>> down about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if
>> so whats the reason behind it?
>>
>> Stay Happy!

> it's just the TwinSparks. Some do it, some don't. As a general observation
> Alfa Romeo say that "up to 1 litre per 1000kms (650 miles?) is normal"

Nah, the single sparks sometimes do it as well. My V6 loses some, but I
have no idea (yet) how much is burnt and how much leaks out from the
cambelt tensioner. That's just been re-built together with the new cams
and followers so I'll have a better idea soon.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old May 21st 04, 10:43 PM
Someone

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:02:52 +0100, "Chef!" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas gulp down
> >about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true? and if so whats
> >the reason behind it?
> >
> >Stay Happy!
> >

> Mine doesn't consume any *engine* oil at all. Never has.
> I've *heard* that some (petrol) engined cars use oil to cool the upper
> cylinders a bit..

> Scotland
> Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
> 'Oil' be seeing you..
> (Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

In 5.5 years, I have never put any oil in my 156. I did run the car in
gently as recommended - could this have anything to do with it?
Incidentally we have another 156 bought second hand that also does not need
topping up.

Old May 22nd 04, 03:05 PM
Michael Schubert

"Someone" schrieb:

> In 5.5 years, I have never put any oil in my 156. I did run the car
> in gently as recommended - could this have anything to do with it?
> Incidentally we have another 156 bought second hand that also does
> not need topping up.

Mine (1.6TS) didn't drink oil the first year I had it (drove in citys
mostly). That changed when I had to do more km on the Autobahn, where I
run the engine at high revs (around 6k+, if traffic allows it).
So my guess it, that the oil consumption depends on the driving style.

Micha

--
Wenn ist das Nunstueck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das
Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!...
Old May 23rd 04, 09:32 AM
Chef!

makes sense in that respect, but then again that would be the case for other
sports cars too.

Old May 24th 04, 03:56 PM
Carl Farrington

Someone wrote:
> "Zathras" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:02:52 +0100, "Chef!" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello AR drivers, I heard a rumour from an AR driver that Alfas
>>> gulp down about half litre motor oil per 1000 miles, is this true?
>>> and if so whats the reason behind it?
>>>

>> Mine doesn't consume any *engine* oil at all. Never has.
>> I've *heard* that some (petrol) engined cars use oil to cool the
>> upper cylinders a bit..
>>

> In 5.5 years, I have never put any oil in my 156. I did run the car
> in gently as recommended - could this have anything to do with it?
> Incidentally we have another 156 bought second hand that also does
> not need topping up.

Christ! My Supra needs a complete oil change every 4,500 miles