Sacramento Installation Help?

Old September 20th 05, 11:23 PM
Mufferaw Joe

Default Sacramento Installation Help?

Hi all,

Just bought a new Robbins top from mmmiata.com:
"Robbins Premium Miata Top with Glass Window zip 90/97 BK Sunfast Top Glass
Window zip, w/ rail"

....and dropped it off at Great Valley Mazda...

They say that the left tension cable is busted, and that while it is a Mazda
part, they cannot order it without ordering an entire new top frame @ $800+.

Any ideas on whether I should leave the top at Great Valley, and dedicate my
efforts to finding the tension cable, or can anyone recommend a good shop
that has maybe seen/installed a Robbins top in the past?

Thanks,
%Joe%

Old September 21st 05, 01:52 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Mufferaw Joe" > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just bought a new Robbins top from mmmiata.com:
>"Robbins Premium Miata Top with Glass Window zip 90/97 BK Sunfast Top Glass
>Window zip, w/ rail"
>
>...and dropped it off at Great Valley Mazda...
>
>They say that the left tension cable is busted, and that while it is a Mazda
>part, they cannot order it without ordering an entire new top frame @ $800+.

Strange. I am pretty sure mine came in the vinyl soft top when I ordered my
1999 top.

Leon

>Any ideas on whether I should leave the top at Great Valley, and dedicate my
>efforts to finding the tension cable, or can anyone recommend a good shop
>that has maybe seen/installed a Robbins top in the past?
>
>Thanks,
>%Joe%

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 21st 05, 02:27 AM
Ken Lyons

"Mufferaw Joe" > wrote
> They say that the left tension cable is busted, and that while it is a

Mazda
> part, they cannot order it without ordering an entire new top frame @

$800+.

Not true. See
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=149309
The Mazda part number is NA01-R1-215. They are also available from
Cabrioworld.
http://www.cabrioworld.com/secure/de...=41&modelID=12
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old September 21st 05, 02:52 AM
Christopher Muto

kwiktops.com has them for $50 for the pair and are on the west coast like
you.

aabestco.com also has them $40 for the pair and you could not find nicer
people... but they are on the east cost so it may take longer to get to
you...

you also might want to ask them about installing the top so that you don't
have to unzip the window (they add a couple of straps between the second and
thrid bow and the rainrail... makes life much easier.

ps. oh mmmiata.com sells them for $40 too.... but i thought they were out of
business... and that new web site is so slow it makes me quickly want to
shop elsewhere... like gomiata.com who also has them...

Old September 21st 05, 04:42 AM
XS11E

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in:

> you also might want to ask them about installing the top so that you
> don't have to unzip the window (they add a couple of straps between the
> second and thrid bow and the rainrail... makes life much easier.

Are there instructions somewhere as to how this is done? Can it be done
after the top is installed? I'd REALLY like to have this done on my car if
at all possible.

Old September 21st 05, 02:33 PM
Christopher Muto

i did an exhaustive search for top installation instructions before i
replaced my top. i am no expert so needed the confidence that comes with
doing research on a subject. despite the great effort made by some in
making them most only provided guidelines for installation. the duetto
motors instructions however were head and shoulders above the rest. but
they don't specifically speak to installing the tension cables after the
fact but rather during top installation. if i recall correctly, you should
be able to replace the cables with the top in place. if you open the top
half-way see if you can peel back the fabric from the passenger or drivers
side near the front to reveal the rivet that holds the plastic connector
that is on the front end of the tension cable. this rivet would need to be
drilled out in order to replace the cable. also try to peel back the fabric
at the part of the frame that would be in contact with the rear of the
window (window, not windshield). here you should find the cable connected
to a tension spring and the other end of the spring screwed to the frame.
make note of the path that the cable takes around the top hinges as you have
to put the new cable in the same way. if you have access to these two
points then you can replace the cable without having to remove the top. the
only other step in the process is that you will have to fish the cable
through the top itself. this should not be too difficult to do. you could
tape the new cable to the old cable and pull the new cable through as you
remove the old one.

Old September 21st 05, 02:45 PM
Christopher Muto

sheesh... obviously i thought you meant that you wanted to know about the
cables... as for retrofitting a top for no-zip after installation i think
it would be a problem... not only because of the drilling required to be
made into the bows to make rivet holes to secure the necessary straps
(dangerously close to the top if already installed if even possible to get a
drill in the correct position), but because the no-zip installation means
not having the top connected to the second and third bow (no fabric flap
from the top that is secured into the metal slot of the bow and a cover put
on the bow to prevent snags with that metal slot). i suppose that one could
disconnect the top from the bows, remove the flaps and cover the bows, but
don't see how one could drill the rivet holes and attach the straps that are
necessary to return the bows to the proper upright position (necessary if
the bows are not connected to the top for positioning).

Old September 21st 05, 04:00 PM
XS11E

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in:

> sheesh... obviously i thought you meant that you wanted to know about
> the cables...

S'OK, that was interesting also.

> as for retrofitting a top for no-zip after installation i
> think it would be a problem...

<snip>

OK, so it really can't be done w/o removing the top. Unfortunately, while I
really want one of the tops with a glass window that's no-zip, my top with
the glass zip type window is very new, it was installed not long before I
bought the car so I guess I'll just have to wait until it wears out. I'm
WAAAAAY too cheap to replace a top that's still almost perfect.

I suspect these tops will last quite a few years so I'll probably not replace
mine in the near future.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:20 AM
Leon van Dommelen

XS11E > wrote:

>"Christopher Muto" > wrote in:
>
>> sheesh... obviously i thought you meant that you wanted to know about
>> the cables...

>S'OK, that was interesting also.
>
>> as for retrofitting a top for no-zip after installation i
>> think it would be a problem...

><snip>
>
>OK, so it really can't be done w/o removing the top. Unfortunately, while I
>really want one of the tops with a glass window that's no-zip, my top with
>the glass zip type window is very new, it was installed not long before I
>bought the car so I guess I'll just have to wait until it wears out. I'm
>WAAAAAY too cheap to replace a top that's still almost perfect.
>
>I suspect these tops will last quite a few years so I'll probably not replace
>mine in the near future.

If the top was installed professionally, it is probably not riveted to
the rain rail and partial deinstall might not be that bad, depending
on what exactly needs to be done.

Just a thought.

Leon
Old September 22nd 05, 01:38 AM
XS11E

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in:

> If the top was installed professionally,

It was.

> it is probably not riveted to the rain rail and partial deinstall might
> not be that bad, depending on what exactly needs to be done.

The problem is that I don't know what needs to be done nor do I know of a top
shop that might. That's why I was asking if there were any written
instructions anywhere as to how to modify a top into a "no zip" window.

I learned this from Christopher Muto:

"you also might want to ask them about installing the top so that you don't
have to unzip the window (they add a couple of straps between the second and
third bow and the rainrail... makes life much easier."

and this also from Christopher Muto:

"as for retrofitting a top for no-zip after installation i think
it would be a problem... not only because of the drilling required to be
made into the bows to make rivet holes to secure the necessary straps
(dangerously close to the top if already installed if even possible to get a
drill in the correct position), but because the no-zip installation means
not having the top connected to the second and third bow (no fabric flap
from the top that is secured into the metal slot of the bow and a cover put
on the bow to prevent snags with that metal slot). i suppose that one could
disconnect the top from the bows, remove the flaps and cover the bows, but
don't see how one could drill the rivet holes and attach the straps that are
necessary to return the bows to the proper upright position (necessary if
the bows are not connected to the top for positioning)."

So...... if the top can be partially deinstalled to make the modifications,
that would be nice but how can I find someone who can do the work? I could
ask my Mazda dealer but all he'll tell me is to buy a new car. <sigh>

What I would really like to find is an illustrated step-by-step instructions
for doing this, then I'd feel confident taking the car to a local shop, I
believe once the shop knew it could be done and saw how it was done there'd
be no problem doing the conversion........ maybe....

Meanwhile I'll keep zippering I guess, if I had the instructions and found a
good shop I probably couldn't afford it anyway.... <sigh>

Oh, one more thing. I've read about how folks can reach back and grab the
top to put it up. There's no way that works on my car! Maybe Superman could
reach back and grab the top but I sure can't, I have to get out of the car
and grunt and groan to get it to start up. Any idea what might be wrong?