Turn right, skips and jumps, turn left, back to normal, what thehell?

Old April 22nd 08, 11:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jaguar

Default Turn right, skips and jumps, turn left, back to normal, what thehell?

I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
move right again. So weird. Any ideas?
Old April 22nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mortimer

"Jaguar" > wrote in message
> I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

If turning left and right alters the power of the engine, I wonder if you've
got a worn wheel bearing which is being made worse when you turn right and
better when you turn left.

Is there any grating noise when you turn? What is the fuel economy like -
has it got worse, as would be the case if there were frictional losses in
the bearing?

Old April 22nd 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Jaguar wrote:
> I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

1987 Japanese truck.... that'll most likely be carbureted rather than
fuel injected. And they tended to use Mikuni carbs, which are
notoriously ill-tempered as they age. Power loss at speed coupled with
getting worse when turning one direction and better in the other sounds
like a fuel delivery problem- stuck float valve, plugged fuel filter, etc.

Check the simple stuff first.

Old April 22nd 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Steve" > wrote in message

> 1987 Japanese truck.... that'll most likely be carbureted rather than fuel
> injected. And they tended to use Mikuni carbs, which are notoriously
> ill-tempered as they age. Power loss at speed coupled with getting worse
> when turning one direction and better in the other sounds like a fuel
> delivery problem- stuck float valve, plugged fuel filter, etc.
>
> Check the simple stuff first.

Worn or broken motor mounts classically make problems like this even
worse.

Old April 22nd 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Apr 22, 6:04 am, Jaguar > wrote:
> I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

Could have some water in the gas tank. My ranger acted quite weird
after the top of the sender unit got some rust holes in it.

For me it was moderate bumps. Acted just like the ignition was cutting
off.

It didn't have a strong gas smell, either,

Dave
Old April 24th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jaguar

On Apr 22, 10:57 am, Steve > wrote:
> Jaguar wrote:
> > I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> > clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> > condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> > will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> > get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> > bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> > engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> > transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> > turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> > turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> > move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

> 1987 Japanese truck.... that'll most likely be carbureted rather than
> fuel injected. And they tended to use Mikuni carbs, which are
> notoriously ill-tempered as they age. Power loss at speed coupled with
> getting worse when turning one direction and better in the other sounds
> like a fuel delivery problem- stuck float valve, plugged fuel filter, etc.
>
> Check the simple stuff first.

Okay, got some carb cleaner, cleaned it out, replaced plugs, wires,
distrib cap, and air filter. Oil/Oil Filter and clutch recently
replaced. It seems to do it LESS, but it still does it. Might be
carb, might be fuel filter, and I dunno where the float valve would
be, how do I go about checking the carb further and the float valve,
I'll get the fuel filter changed soon.
Old April 24th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

>> Check the simple stuff first.

> Okay, got some carb cleaner, cleaned it out, replaced plugs, wires,
> distrib cap, and air filter. Oil/Oil Filter and clutch recently
> replaced. It seems to do it LESS, but it still does it. Might be
> carb, might be fuel filter, and I dunno where the float valve would
> be, how do I go about checking the carb further and the float valve,
> I'll get the fuel filter changed soon.

The float valve is inside the carb and maintains a constant level of
fuel in the small reservoir in the carb that the metering jets draw fuel
from. If you buy a carburetor rebuild kit, it will be included (new
needle/seat for the valve, and sometimes a new float also). But you
should know what you're doing before you tear into a carburetor,
particularly one as cantankerous as a last-year-before-fuel-injection
Japanese carb. Do the fuel filter first...

Old April 28th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Apr 22, 4:04 am, Jaguar > wrote:
> I've got a weird issue with an 87 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed pickup,
> clutch has been replaced and transmission appears to be in half-decent
> condition, but whenever I get going up to a decent speed the truck
> will start to lose power, like skipping almost, if I floor it it'll
> get some power then the moment I let off and try to put it back down a
> bit theres no power whatsoever and usually I hear no change in the
> engine when I put it back down. I'm not sure if its the engine or the
> transmission or what, but I'm pretty sure its the engine. Also, if I
> turn to the right when it starts to do it, it skips more, but when I
> turn to the left, it seems to 'catch' and get power until I start to
> move right again. So weird. Any ideas?

Wayyyy back in high school my mechanics teacher told us that
90% of engine problems were electrical. I fussed with carburetors and
other fuel stuff for years until I began to realize that he was right.
Ignition has always been a weak point (that's why aircraft have two
magnetos but only one carb) and I now, at age 55, go after the
ignition first. You might have a bad connection somewhere, and I'd
start at the distrubutor (or coils, if no distrubutor) and work back.
The engine torquing in its mounts, or leaning a little in a turn, is
possibly pulling on some corroded or loose connection, intermittently
cutting off the spark.
90% likely, remember.

Dan
Old April 29th 08, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jaguar

On Apr 24, 1:33 pm, Steve > wrote:
> >> Check the simple stuff first.

> > Okay, got some carb cleaner, cleaned it out, replaced plugs, wires,
> > distrib cap, and air filter. Oil/Oil Filter and clutch recently
> > replaced. It seems to do it LESS, but it still does it. Might be
> > carb, might be fuel filter, and I dunno where the float valve would
> > be, how do I go about checking the carb further and the float valve,
> > I'll get the fuel filter changed soon.

> The float valve is inside the carb and maintains a constant level of
> fuel in the small reservoir in the carb that the metering jets draw fuel
> from. If you buy a carburetor rebuild kit, it will be included (new
> needle/seat for the valve, and sometimes a new float also). But you
> should know what you're doing before you tear into a carburetor,
> particularly one as cantankerous as a last-year-before-fuel-injection
> Japanese carb. Do the fuel filter first...

F***ING THANK THE LORD.
It was the fuel filter. I changed it, and god damn is there a
difference. A-fscking-mazing what a $10 part can do to change how
your vehicle runs. THANK YOU.
Old April 29th 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jaguar

On Apr 29, 4:04 am, Jaguar > wrote:

> > > Okay, got some carb cleaner, cleaned it out, replaced plugs, wires,
> > > distrib cap, and air filter. Oil/Oil Filter and clutch recently
> > > replaced. It seems to do it LESS, but it still does it. Might be
> > > carb, might be fuel filter, and I dunno where the float valve would
> > > be, how do I go about checking the carb further and the float valve,
> > > I'll get the fuel filter changed soon.

> > The float valve is inside the carb and maintains a constant level of
> > fuel in the small reservoir in the carb that the metering jets draw fuel
> > from. If you buy a carburetor rebuild kit, it will be included (new
> > needle/seat for the valve, and sometimes a new float also). But you
> > should know what you're doing before you tear into a carburetor,
> > particularly one as cantankerous as a last-year-before-fuel-injection
> > Japanese carb. Do the fuel filter first...

> F***ING THANK THE LORD.
> It was the fuel filter. I changed it, and god damn is there a
> difference. A-fscking-mazing what a $10 part can do to change how
> your vehicle runs. THANK YOU.

SIDE NOTE: WOOHOO I CAN ACTUALLY PASS PEOPLE NOW.
I went all the way to work 70mph without a damn skip pop or fizzle.

left turn rules Magnulus[_2_] Driving 15 May 10th 07 07:06 AM
Right turn on red from the left lane necromancer Driving 0 April 21st 07 11:26 PM
Hard to turn left bokuglen VW air cooled 6 July 17th 06 10:13 AM
Left Turn Arrow w/o Left Turn Lane Larry Scholnick Driving 9 June 27th 05 10:20 PM
Ion left turn signal Jason Sacks Saturn 2 May 21st 04 03:17 AM