156 V6: a bit 'strangled'.

Old April 28th 04, 05:52 PM
Jacopo

Default 156 V6: a bit 'strangled'.

Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs, the
engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
understand me ;-)
Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
day, then yesterday afternoon went out. For the whole time that the light
was on, the engine runned well. Took to a Bosh Service, and the engine
management computer said 'error in air/fuel mix'. The mechanic said that
wasn't so bad, in fact it wasn't a failure, but just a 'wrong carburation'.
But I think that this 'failure' is responsable of the loss of power of
today: maybe the spark plugs are dirty, due to a major percentage of fuel
during the 'failure'?

Bye Bye ;-)

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Old April 28th 04, 07:07 PM
Alfistagj

"Antti" > schreef in bericht

> airmass meter MAF is common fault in V6 and symptons usually: hesitation
> around 5000rpm (loses power like rev limiter).
>
> Antti

I must agree with Antti
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old April 28th 04, 07:16 PM
Antti

Old April 28th 04, 08:57 PM
Jacopo

Thanks guys. But the power loss isn't so huge, and comes out only when I
push down the gas. Can be the airmass meter even?

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Old April 28th 04, 09:56 PM
Alfistagj

"Jacopo" > schreef in bericht
> Thanks guys. But the power loss isn't so huge, and comes out only when I
> push down the gas. Can be the airmass meter even?
>
> --
> Jacopo
> Bolzano, Italia
> --
> Sportwagon 2.5 V6 24V Distinctive

What's the weather like?
Rain/dry?
Air pressure?
Temperature?
How "new" is your air filter element?

Old April 29th 04, 07:28 AM
Catman

Jacopo wrote:

> Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs,
> the engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
> power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
> understand me ;-)

Probably sounds better on guitar

> Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
> day, then yesterday afternoon went out.

It's not gone into 'limp home' mode has it? IIRC that tends to run a very
rich mixture that might well give the symptoms you describe. OTOH I'd
expect it to be on the error list.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old April 29th 04, 07:56 AM
Jacopo

It was dry, but covered with low clouds, low pressure, about 70-75% humidity
and 27°C.
The air filter was changed with the oil @ 31000km. The car has now 33100km.

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Old April 29th 04, 08:43 AM
Neuropean

Maybe you shouldn't fill the tank with kerosene after all...

;-)
Neuropean
Old April 29th 04, 09:24 AM
Ppelectron

>> Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs,
>the
>> engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
>> power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
>> understand me ;-)
>> Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
>> day, then yesterday afternoon went out. For the whole time that the light
>> was on, the engine runned well. Took to a Bosh Service, and the engine
>> management computer said 'error in air/fuel mix'. The mechanic said that
>> wasn't so bad, in fact it wasn't a failure, but just a 'wrong

>carburation'.
>> But I think that this 'failure' is responsable of the loss of power of
>> today: maybe the spark plugs are dirty, due to a major percentage of fuel
>> during the 'failure'?
>>

>airmass meter MAF is common fault in V6 and symptons usually: hesitation
>around 5000rpm (loses power like rev limiter).
>
>Antti

The MAF fault on my 156 V6 caused a serious loss of power at 5000RPM (like a
rev limiter) but it did not improve as I put my foot down harder on the gas.
The only way to make the car go faster was to select a higher gear. The car
absolutely refused to do more than 5000RPM. The fault described by the original
poster sounds more like plugs or fuel IMHO.

Phil 156 V6 1998

Old April 29th 04, 10:04 PM
Alfistagj

"Jacopo" > schreef in bericht
> It was dry, but covered with low clouds, low pressure, about 70-75%

humidity
> and 27°C.
> The air filter was changed with the oil @ 31000km. The car has now

33100km.

BAD abient circumstances for fine power output!
Very low oxygen % due to combination of temp. en air pressure.
Could surely be the (a) reason.
High air pressure and low(er) temp is perfect.